hard drive

geordie01

Inactive User
Reaction score
just took Seagate hard drive from old sky box to see if I can get films of or use as back up for pc but it is 6 inch long and can not find any cases it will fit in they are normaly 2.5 or3 " so does any one know where I can get a case from tried e bay or what cables I can use to connect to pc

HELP thanks for looking

mine is a Seagate from sky box the one you mentioned is 3.5inch mine is 6 inch Seagate pipeline hd .2 500 gb

I think it's a 3.5 " mate. The size referes to the disk size inside not the size of the housing the disk is in. If it's out of a sky box it's a 3.5"

mine is a Seagate from sky box the one you mentioned is 3.5inch mine is 6 inch Seagate pipeline hd .2 500 gb

I think it's a 3.5 " mate. The size referes to the disk size inside not the size of the housing the disk is in. If it's out of a sky box it's a 3.5"
Definately a 3.5", I have pulled the same drive from my old Sky HD box.

However, the drive is encrypted, you won't be able to get the films off.

Also, I wouldn't recommend using a hard drive aimed at DVR/PRV use for backups - they don't have error checking in the way that computer hard drives do.

so this hard drive is no gd then any ideas what I can use it for and how is the films encrypted must of had about 20 films on
Thanks to all who replied

You can still use the drive in any STB that takes 3.5" SATA drives. For boxes that have USB or eSATA connections for storage, you'd just need an enclosure as you had planned.

AFAIK the encryption for Sky's STB recordings has not been broken. Even if it had, it's probably in a proprietary video format (most likely based on h.268).

Did you manage to sort some thing out mate ?? If you have a spare 5 1/2 bay available you could use something like i have on the laptop drive, 2014-05-14 16.44.13.jpg

Ive even got a spare one you can have / forgot to mention it doesnt really need to go in to a bay. as long as you have room in your case you can screw it in just about anywhere. Thats if thats what you were after doing anyways lol

Last edited by a moderator:
got a case coming was looking on u tube u can convert films if I can get them should as box was took of before sly stopped I will see if I can get 1 for the backup of pc

Back