Hard drive for the Wii

steve7713

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have been using a Akasa Integral case for the Wii for some time with a 160gig WD drive, the enclosure has failed but the drive is still good. I have tried tried to use a Iomega case and the Wii does not load via USBloader.

Is there an cheap enclosure I can get to put the 160Gig WD in to continue using the Wii. We only use it on occasion for a few game and do not need a massive drive to fill.

If the drive is a 2.5" (laptop) drive than I got 2 enclosures from Amazon for £3.99 each. I used them for 2 80gb sata drives (taken out out of PS3's) and used them on the wii.

If the drive is 3.5" then you can get a cheap caddy from amazon too, I got one to use a spare 1tb drive on the ps3, the caddy does USB (used for the PS3) and esata (used to connect to the pc for putting games on 10x faster than USB) it cost me £14.99.

You may find them cheaper on ebay but to be honest you may have to wait for 15 days to get it and if it dont work you then have to argue your point with some guy in hong kong then wait another 2 months for a replacement.

i am using an iomega enclosure with my wii and it works no problem, is it defuinatley not a faulty h/d?

The iomega has a different drive in it, every time I use it on the wii it shuts down and the USBloader returned to the main menu on the Wii, I will try and swap the drives over.

Some enclosures have power saving modes, these are no good for the Wii, as the Wii does not send the keep awake signals.

The ones i bought have nothing fancy like power saving, so work perfectly with the Wii.

Looks like it could be sleep mode, Cheep and cheerful case coming up.

Back