hacking TV?

mohammed_khan786

Inactive User
Reaction score
just a quick question not sure how dumb this might make me sound but is it possible to 'hack'/'mod' a telly? i got a sony bravia kdl 40w4000 and it supports USB photo viewing. i was wondering if there's a way to get it to play movies off USB too?

Dunno about that TV, but my Plasma LG can be hacked to enable Divx playback :)

It's as easy as going into the service menu and enabling it.

Dunno about that TV, but my Plasma LG can be hacked to enable Divx playback :)

It's as easy as going into the service menu and enabling it.

Is that via USB or Sd card?
Reason i'm asking is that my LG plasma has an SD card slot but nothing seems to happen when i stick the card in?
Will enabling it be in the service menu?

Reason i'm asking is that my LG plasma has an SD card slot but nothing seems to happen when i stick the card in?
you may have to change the source to sd card

USB mate, my TV doesn't have a SD card slot.

My TV is the 50PQ3000, it supports jpegs etc as standard, the more exspensive model in the the range supports DivX aswell as jpeg. If I press and hold both the OK and MENU button on the TV at the same time it lets me access the Service Menu, from in here I can select which model of TV I have, if I select the more expensive model and save my changes, it enables Divx, saving me a tidy £200 :)

My TV is the 50PQ3000, it supports jpegs etc as standard, the more exspensive model in the the range supports DivX aswell as jpeg. If I press and hold both the OK and MENU button on the TV at the same time it lets me access the Service Menu, from in here I can select which model of TV I have, if I select the more expensive model and save my changes, it enables Divx, saving me a tidy £200 :)

Now that is a good find:Clap:

you may have to change the source to sd card

You don't have the choice of switching to the sd input for some reason?

I'll have a look in the service menu then,thanks

OP - If they haven't enabled video playback, then I don't think you can hack the TV unless you can reprogram the firmware chip because you would have to stick on a codec to decode the movie files and map the remote control to control the video playback and perhaps modify the options/menu.

Am not an expert in this field, but it seems to be the case if you think about why they have only allowed photo access.

Back