GTA IV to Destroy Halo 3's First Week Sales Record

mxwizard

Inactive User
Reaction score
Will Master Chief bow down to Niko Bellic? Variety reports that sources close to Take-Two already expect GTA IV to sell at least six million units in its first week, becoming the top entertainment launch of all time.

It's one of the most anticipated video game launches in years, and it could be the biggest in video game history. Variety, citing "sources close to publisher Take-Two Interactive," claims that based on pre-order data Rockstar Games' latest blockbuster is going to sell at least six million copies worldwide within the first week after launching on April 29. A $400 million debut is expected, which would completely smash Microsoft's Halo 3 record (five million units sold, $300 million in first week).

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End grossed $404 million in its first six days at the box office, making it the number one film debut of all time. It's conceivable that GTA IV could break that record, thereby becoming the biggest entertainment launch in history.

Blockbuster CEO Jim Keyes told the publication that GTA IV will likely sell about "two times the volume" that Halo 3 did for the rental chain. Senior VP of Merchandising Bob McKenzie at leading video game retailer GameStop, on the other hand, said the game is currently tracking slightly behind Master Chief's smash hit.

Analysts have been very high on GTA IV as well. Janco Partners' Mike Hickey said that the game would likely sell 5.8 million units in its first week and Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter said it would ship about six million in its first week and ultimately generate $450 million in revenue for Take-Two's fiscal year. More recently, Hudson Square Research analyst Daniel Ernst said GTA IV would go on to sell 13 million copies in 2008, making it the best selling game of the year.

If Take-Two hopes to stave off Electronic Arts' hostile takeover attempt, it will need GTA IV to do very, very well

Source: gamedaily.com

if this doesnt happen, i will be very very surprised. but all the evidence points to it being a complete sell out.

unlucky anyone who doesnt have a preorder in

if this doesnt happen, i will be very very surprised. but all the evidence points to it being a complete sell out.

unlucky anyone who doesnt have a preorder in

Yeah me too... It cant sell out in the "usual places" though :)

Unlucky anyone who doesn't have a flashed console ;)

...and yeah unlucky anyone who didn't get the chance to stump up 40 notes for it despite being willing to do so... I'm sure you'll get to play it eventually :) lol

Yeah me too... It cant sell out in the "usual places" though :)

Unlucky anyone who doesn't have a flashed console ;)

...and yeah unlucky anyone who didn't get the chance to stump up 40 notes for it despite being willing to do so... I'm sure you'll get to play it eventually :) lol

i have preordered it for the ps3, but i will download it for th 360 too. only want it on the ps3 for the online. and i have had all the gta's on previous playstations.

Can't wait... hopefully it'll leak a few days early.

Though if it does, I'll be a bit scared to play in case of a Live ban. :handball:

Anyone know if this a world wide premiere for the 29th?... meaning is it being released on the same date across the globe?

It wouldn't surprise me at all if it out sells Halo 3.

Its a shame I'm a PC 'er and therefore will probably wait up to a year before getting it.

anyone know of anywhere thats selling it at midnight in london?
there was nowhere selling halo 3 that i could find due to westminster council banning selling it at that time on health and safety grounds!

Anyone know if this a world wide premiere for the 29th?... meaning is it being released on the same date across the globe?

yes its world wide release on both consoles on the 29th. i seen an article today saying that tesco would be selling it on the 25th, but i reckon its a typo, there is no way in hell anybody will break the street date of this. if i remember right, someone broke the street date for a previous release of gta, and rockstar went ape sh1t at them. i think the lawyers were knocking at their door pretty quickly.

maybe im wrong

over on the official ps3 forums a couple of members have phoned their local tesco extra, who have confirmed that they will be selling the game on midnight 24th april too preorder customers only. i wonder if this is a way to get people to preorder at tesco and then turn around on the 25th and say, sorry we made a mistake, come back on the 29th.

hopefully we should have it on the 360 before then, i will just wait to official release date for my ps3 copy.

Cheers for that deedie I had a feeling they were going for a world release on this one... it wouldnt be the first time that stores have broken street dates on a title so maybe the peeps that pre-ordered from tescos will get lucky...look at the Asda fiasco with Halo3 and I'm sure big yank stores such as bestbuy and walmart have had their fingers wrapped for breaking street dates before but it didnt stop them doing it again lol....either way I would have thought that it will be available for the 360 in the "usual places" prior to this :)

laffs at the use of the word 'usual places' lol is that in some car park at the back of a lidl shop, or do you mean THE usual places ;)

Back