GPS device for hillwalking - Advice.

mcgirt

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know there's a sat nav forum but it seems to be for car navigation rather than hillwalking. If I'm breaking any of the forum rules let me know and please move this thread to the correct forum.

Well, the title of the thread tells all...

I'm looking into buying a GPS device for hill walking, mostly in the UK but sometimes abroad. I'm just wondering if anybody has some tips or experience they would like to share? I've read a few reviews but it's so difficult to decide what to go for as the "customer" reviews vary a lot.

The things I know I would like the device to have are:

Long battery life and preferably with its on rechargeable battery.
Water proof and shock resistant.
Maps that don't cost a fortune, I actually have a lot of memory maps.

I'm not to fussy about the electronic compass feature as I'm planning on using this as a back-up once my map reading improves. I've not got a budget in mind at the moment but I would like to buy something of a good build quality that will last a for a few years.

I'm going to continue to look around but thought I would ask for advice here as I've always had good advice in the past.

Cheers again.

you can get free maps from hear FREE British Isles and Ireland Maps Home (talkytoaster)
for garmin gps
if your into doing some munros have a look hear has everything u need to know and roots to download to your gps
Walkhighlands: Scotland walks and accommodation
no point me telling you what gps to get mate, you need to know what you want yourself lol
i have a garmin dakota with above maps and uk 1:50 also BenNevis/Glencoe 1:25 all free from a sat nav forum i posted on hear not that long ago look back my posts. it has never let me down on a munro yet, in really bad weather its got me home in one peace.

Last edited:
i find if you are going to be map reading then go for a basic reliable unit like the etrax garmin set it to os grid then you can easily locate yourself on the paper map. even the best gps like the dakota have limitations when viewing the maps they are small screens a map is big gives all the information and never runs out of power. i have tried many of the top gps units but always revert back to paper & compass. i have my iphone in waterproof case if i get caught in bad weather. tho i do like toys learning to map read is the way & so much more rewarding

Thanks for the replies lad's.

My ultimate goal is to have exellent map reading skills and not require a GPS unit, but after a small incident the other weekend I definitely need one for now.

I wasn't sure if I should buy an expansive unit or not. Really, I'll be being doing what da_ren mentioned and using the unit to confirm my position when I'm not 100% sure or lost!

Thanks again.

P.S

Thanks surfbum for the links.

Last edited:
i also take paper maps with me , but i find me using them less and less.
but you should always have a map and compass with you.

i also take paper maps with me , but i find me using them less and less.
but you should always have a map and compass with you.

I second this in fact mountain rescue deplore people using gps because if you are delayed then battery life is more crucial I good qhality os map in a plastic cover and a good compass will cost you a lot less than your life if you depend on tech and it breaks you are in the bog or off a cliff

edogg

Edogg, I agree but until my map reading skills are at a level I'm comfortable with I need a GPS for back up. I'd rather use a map than GPS as I find it more interesting but as mentioned before I need a back up as I generally walk on my own.

I'm thinking about buying a Garmin eTrex 20, amazon are selling them for £143.

Cheers.

My ultimate goal is to have exellent map reading skills and not require a GPS unit, but after a small incident the other weekend I definitely need one for now.

Amsterdam is like that.....;)

if you can stretch to £200 you could get this mate.
its well worth that price
Memory Map Adventurer 2800 GPS with Full Country Mapping | GO Outdoors
Edogg, I agree but until my map reading skills are at a level I'm comfortable with I need a GPS for back up. I'd rather use a map than GPS as I find it more interesting but as mentioned before I need a back up as I generally walk on my own.

I'm thinking about buying a Garmin eTrex 20, amazon are selling them for £143.

Cheers.

Back