Google to end censorship in China over cyber attacks

I think it is quite a big story tbh and its not simply technology news, its a story that also touches on freedom of speech and censorship.
We may take it for granted that we have freedom to surf for whatever we want and if we are pissed off about something we can protest about it but other countries would rather control their people and deny them history and facts.

I don't think that freedom of speech or censorship have anything to do with it. There are thousands of tech companies that trade with China that do not force China into taking decisions about personal privacy and censorship. Google has tried to put it's own morals and values on a country that is far behind in it's development and that it wrong, this is why we have such a public standoff between the two.

This is simply a protectionist measure with China wanting Chinese companies to grow in it's tech boom rather than allowing foreign companies to trade in it's territory whilst trying to dictate terms and grabbing the lions share of profits.

I'm also surprised by the illusion of good will that Google has spun over the news media, if anyone thinks that this is a matter of freedom of speech then they are being very naive.

My reason for posting more was in no way related to your comment.

There were at lot of articles on the Guardian site with different takes on the story: so I posted links to them.

I had no intention of backing up Google.

I'm not posting my opinions, although I suppose you could say that the fact I read the Guardian and respect it's writers reflects something of my mind set.

Others are free to post what they have read elsewhere.

All your links point towards google being the victim, thats why I think your mindset is sided towards google, you probably had every guardian link that suggests that apart from the one that may suggest it's about google losing face or revenue

I don't think that freedom of speech or censorship have anything to do with it. There are thousands of tech companies that trade with China that do not force China into taking decisions about personal privacy and censorship. Google has tried to put it's own morals and values on a country that is far behind in it's development and that it wrong, this is why we have such a public standoff between the two.

This is simply a protectionist measure with China wanting Chinese companies to grow in it's tech boom rather than allowing foreign companies to trade in it's territory whilst trying to dictate terms and grabbing the lions share of profits.

I'm also surprised by the illusion of good will that Google has spun over the news media, if anyone thinks that this is a matter of freedom of speech then they are being very naive.

couldn't agree more, googles values on freedom is to know more about the individuals than the individuals know about themselves - everything we do through google builds up a profile about us

All your links point towards google being the victim, thats why I think your mindset is sided towards google, you probably had every guardian link that suggests that apart from the one that may suggest it's about google losing face or revenue

Your wrong in what you think: I don't have a clear opinion either way.

I'm under no illusions about Google and think there is a great deal of truth in Munkey's last post.

Tbh i havent saw the full story i just kinda skimmed through it so i dont know exactly the extent of the argument.
Im sure China will rise in the tech boom and big companys will invest and agree to their requests,,Steve Ballmer is probably on a plane just now to China .
What a perfect partnership that would be, i can imagine the finished product,, a shite censored search engine called bling..;)

Back