Good first bike?

Godzkiller

Inactive User
Reaction score
I will be doing my CBT this year and then getting my bike license next year.

The reason for this is because I am moving from Glasgow to Tavistock in a year and a half time.

Due to the fact that I need to get about those country roads and get to college in Plymouth somehow. I will be buying a motorbike (don't want a moped).

I am only 17 and should be just about to turn 19 when I get my bike so I will only be able to ride a 125cc with my license, if i am correct.

I have been looking for a good bike to get as my first one. It will most likely have to be used as I want to buy it with my own money that I save(d) up, and as a student it needs to be cost effective.

So far I have my eye on buying a Honda ABR 125. I know it comes in a ABR 125R model but I have no idea what the difference the extra R makes.

Picture:

10593.1326379552.cbr125r-1.jpg

Does anyone else have any idea of a good (cheap) bike to buy for a teenagers first bike? As you can see I like the sport look and that's what I will be aiming for.

I can't help you as I'm a scooter freak but that does look like a nice bike.

Want one of these next

11835.jpg

gp800_topbox1.jpg

Last edited:
I personally don't like the look of both of those. I'm more into the sporty look, I guess its mainly due to me being a teenager xD

You might want to look at the CBF125. It may not as sporty but its basically the same bike but its a grand less to buy, 2 insurance groups lower, has better mileage, more torque, more comfortable riding position and less likely to get nicked.

I personally don't like the look of both of those. I'm more into the sporty look, I guess its mainly due to me being a teenager xD

To be honest it's not the looks that I want from this scooter ;)

If your gonna be living in the country with all them dodgy roady and grassy hills why not have the best of both worlds my first road bike was a KDX 125 but It did need alot of attention, I then went for a DTR 125 and it was a lot more reliable and I could go dirt bikeing on the weekends and use it on the roads aswell.

DTR125 DT_125.jpg

The R basicaly means its racing styled and likely to have a split head light assembly amongst other minor things like slightly lower seat etc.

QUOTE=Exos;2053720]The R basicaly means its racing styled and likely to have a split head light assembly amongst other minor things like slightly lower seat etc.[/QUOTE]

True it also gives you off road tyres its just an option to have a bit fun with your bike :mad:) Heres a picture of a DT 125 which might be a better choice it does look nice lol

Yamaha DT.jpg[

Im getting itchy now, to get one for the summer its been ten year since I enjoyed the fun of biking :mad:)

i would say your 1st bike should be on the cheaper side matey

my 1st bike was a honda c50, i am sure people peed there self laughing but after one day of passing the cbt a nice lady pulled out on me and smashed my kneecap...., mind you i got better and went on to have at least 26 bikes now through the years but always start cheap that way if you scrape it you wont be losing lots of cash

something with style maybe :)

vespa-gamma-2012_5.jpg

yeah mate is a Vespa :) things change dont they lol

yeah I had a spare wheel on one side back in the day :) engine on the other under the side panel :)

they have done away with the twist gears too on anything bellow 200cc I think Im right in saying :( twist and go now 50cc/125cc

I think they still have the styling tbh just upadated them with the times

Was working with a bloke last year who has 2x SX200's they are worth a fortune now. I've lost count of how many I had, used to take the fairings off put a 125 gearbox in and go scrambling with them until they were wrecked.

Big mistake I made when getting back on a bike again was not to check seat height - I had to get rid of my transalp as it was just to tall for me and very top heavy!

Road from Tavistock to Plymouth isn't too bad and once you get into plymouth bikes are allowed to use the bus lanes which is a real help!

I would say start of the with a cbf125.. Cannot go wrong... and with the money you save from not going for a cbr125r you can put in for your test and then get a much bigger and quicker bike so you can scare yourself and your friends!
I have ridden both cbf125 and cbr125r and the difference in power is marginal and to be honest i find the retail prices of the 125 silly... when you can get a decent second hand fireblade for the price they sell new 125's.. If you wanna go fast get your test done and get a 600cc or bigger :licka:

depends on what your future plans are

if it were me, i would do CBT, get a cheap CG125, ride it for a while, until you confident then go for the test

sell cg125 (you probably get more than you bought it for!) and buy a bigger bike

there is no point paying mega bucks for your first bike as you will most probably drop it at some point

the cg's are built like a tank, they don't look that nice but they do the job

thats my 2p anyway

depends on what your future plans are

if it were me, i would do CBT, get a cheap CG125, ride it for a while, until you confident then go for the test

sell cg125 (you probably get more than you bought it for!) and buy a bigger bike

there is no point paying mega bucks for your first bike as you will most probably drop it at some point

the cg's are built like a tank, they don't look that nice but they do the job

thats my 2p anyway

Exactly my point... Invest your money for your test and practice practice practice.... The more experience the better..... As it is a dangerous game no matter what anyone says but also it is the best experience ever in life (apart from sex) lol..

Get a decent 125... sod the looks... pass test.... ride some more on 125 in all road conditions.. wet dry greasy slippy night day *ice snow* *(if your confident) GAIN EXPERIENCE.... Get a bigger bike... and keep safe! and you reep reward when you have a GSXR parked on your driveway ;-)

Back