Gold breaks $900 barrier

Munkey

Inactive User
Reaction score
Gold rose above $900 a troy ounce on Monday, hitting a three and a half month high and posting record highs in euro and sterling terms as investors sought safe haven from troubled equities markets and expensive government bonds.

Precious metals traders said that investors, particularly in Europe, were pouring money into gold exchange traded funds – a popular way to gain access to the metal – and also buying physical gold, from coins to large bars.

“Effectively what we are seeing is safe haven buying,” said one London-based trader.

The total amount of gold held by the world’s gold ETFs last week rose above 40m ounces for the first time, consolidating the investment vehicles as the largest holders of physical gold after the official reserves of the US, Germany, the International Monetary Fund, France and Italy.

John Reade, a precious metal strategist at UBS in London, said that the month-on-month change in ETF gold holdings stood at an “impressive” 2.5m ounces. But he pointed that the increase was still much less than the rate of 6m ounces achieved in mid-October, when investors rushed for cover into the precious metal.

In London, spot gold rose to $905.85 an ounce, up from New York’s last quote on Friday at $898.40. The precious metal hit an all-time high in sterling terms at £656.85 an ounce. In euros, it hit a record high at €700.54 an ounce.

Traders said that gold was likely to consolidate above $900 an ounce this week and could test the $930 an ounce level last touched in October. Spot gold in London, the market’s benchmark, hit an all-time high of $1,030.80 last March.

Deutsche Bank’s commodities strategists last week said that the eventual US stimulus plan would weaken the dollar to support gold in the first half of the year.

“We have forecast gold prices to continue to rise through the second quarter, culminating in an average that quarter of $975/oz, though would not be surprised to see spikes past the $1,000 mark,” they said.

Other commodities markets were on the positive side, with oil posting gains above $48 a barrel and agricultural and soft raw materials rising further.

In London mid-morning trading, ICE March Brent rose 27 cents to $48.64 a barrel while Nymex March West Texas Intermediate rose 31 cents to $46.78 a barrel.

Base metals were mixed, with copper up 1.9 per cent to $3,353 a tonne and aluminium down 0.6 per cent to $1,347 a tonne.

In the agricultural and soft commodities market, cocoa in London hit a fresh 24-year high at £2,013 a tonne, up 0.7 per cent on the day. ICE March raw sugar was 0.7 per cent higher at 12.79 cents a pound as the market awaited news about duty-free sugar imports into India, one of the world’s largest consumers.

Soyabean, wheat and corn posted gains of about 1.0-1.5 per cent on the back of a drought in Brazil and Argentina, two of the world’s largest producers of grains and vegetable oil.

FT

Just to put this into perspective,

If you placed £100 into a bank account around September time you would now have around £103 tops (@ around 5% interest).

If you had bought a gold coin in September for £100, that same coin would now be worth around £145 (around a 45% increase in gold price in Sterling)

But if we factor in the dismal performance of Sterling and the hammering it has taken against the US dollar and the Euro, it would be safe to say that your £100 has lost roughly 30% purchasing power in a few months so it is in fact worth around £70 in the international market. This is of course assuming that most goods are traded in the Euro and the US dollar. So rather than having gained a few quid in interest you have actually been losing money.

If anyone would care to chip in, is this a correct analysis? Are we throwing our money in the bin if we are holding Sterling?

If anyone would care to chip in, is this a correct analysis? Are we throwing our money in the bin if we are holding Sterling?

i'm not conversant with the mechanics of the gold market but what I would do (if I had any sterling that is) is stick a pin in an atlas, where it lands convert all your sterling into that countries currency (providing it doesn't land on the USA).

then move there as quickly as possible.

my sister in law is over from italy for 10 days and says she feels like a millionare here!

this country is done!

Last edited:
LOL at the avvy

The thing is the US$ is looking extremely bullish contrary to what most analysts have predicted. The $ is surprisingly strong and crucifying everything except for the Yen. Out of the western currencies the $ looks the strongest and the £ the weakest. It's difficult for most currencies but the British pound looks doomed unless our PM pulls his finger out. That's why it makes sense holding the yellow shiny stuff instead of sterling.

LOL at the avvy

The thing is the US$ is looking extremely bullish contrary to what most analysts have predicted. The $ is surprisingly strong and crucifying everything except for the Yen. Out of the western currencies the $ looks the strongest and the £ the weakest. It's difficult for most currencies but the British pound looks doomed unless our PM pulls his finger out. That's why it makes sense holding the yellow shiny stuff instead of sterling.

yup..the USD is looking strong today. But how much of it is down to the Obama factor. And more importantly how long will it last.

After all as BO said “Today I say to you that the challenges we face are real. They are serious and they are many. They will not be met easily or in a short span of time. But know this, America – they will be met.”

At no point did he predict what the outcome of the "meeting" would be lol.

I seem to remember some similar sort of euphoric bullsh!t when T Blair was voted in as PM.

get out if ye can I tell ye's.... get out if ye can.

so would it be good 4 me to open up a unallocated account or should i just buy some bars??

gold 1oz, Coins, Crafts, Health Beauty items at low prices on eBay.co.uk

Goldline - Gold & Silver Bullion Merchant & Gold Coin Dealer

notice the price difference if u buy from second link a 1 oz bar at £687

and on ebay a 1oz bar is going for £735 @ 1oz Swiss Pamp GOLD BAR ***24 HR AUCTION*** on eBay, also, Gold Bullion, Bullion Bars, Coins (end time 27-Jan-09 23:11:08 GMT)

now thats a profit of £48 each ounce!?

maybe i buy some bars from the dealer and sell them on ebay

soon or later i would make enough profit to buy more

what u guys think???

The BO :Laugh:factor is important but we'll have to wait and see how much of a change he really brings. I don't think he has the guts to take on the banks.

The reason for the post was that there could be a speculative rally in gold possibly pushing it over $1000 and maybe even $1100. I think this will happen soon if gold breaks $930. It could prove to be a good smash and grab opportunity at the expense of speculators. Either way it's better than holding sterling.

I'm waiting for more panic before I get out.:FRIGHT:

The BO :Laugh:factor is important but we'll have to wait and see how much of a change he really brings. I don't think he has the guts to take on the banks.

The reason for the post was that there could be a speculative rally in gold possibly pushing it over $1000 and maybe even $1100. I think this will happen soon if gold breaks $930. It could prove to be a good smash and grab opportunity at the expense of speculators. Either way it's better than holding sterling.

I'm waiting for more panic before I get out.:FRIGHT:

maybe this would be a good point to ask why gold is so valuable anyway... never really understood why it has such a high value.

I do understand it's a rare metal and shit but wtf do we actually need it for?

so the king of saudi arabia has a 22k solid gold lavvi... so what lol. does it make him shit easier?
i bet the brobat bloo plays havoc with it

Last edited:
so would it be good 4 me to open up a unallocated account or should i just buy some bars??

gold 1oz, Coins, Crafts, Health Beauty items at low prices on eBay.co.uk

Goldline - Gold & Silver Bullion Merchant & Gold Coin Dealer

notice the price difference if u buy from second link a 1 oz bar at £687

and on ebay a 1oz bar is going for £735 @ 1oz Swiss Pamp GOLD BAR ***24 HR AUCTION*** on eBay, also, Gold Bullion, Bullion Bars, Coins (end time 27-Jan-09 23:11:08 GMT)

now thats a profit of £48 each ounce!?

maybe i buy some bars from the dealer and sell them on ebay

soon or later i would make enough profit to buy more

what u guys think???

Get in there Fes.

Prices vary from dealer to dealer, some charge small commissions from the base COMEX price and some dealers just sell at a flat rate.

Ebay prices usually are just ahead but in the past few days they have been just behind real market prices so yes you can buy from a dealer and sell on ebay but you have to monitor the selling costs and not accept paypal. Being a dealer is completely different to being an investor of course..but you're thinking right. Time to get yourself a safety deposit box for around £15/month me thinks.

Goldline are reputable and so are these. Make sure you buy from a dealer to familiarise yourself with the shiny stuff and try not to buy off ebay.

Bars are cheaper than coins but people do pay a premium for coins, especially krugerands, maples, panda's and eagles. I'd start with bars though.

maybe this would be a good point to ask why gold is so valuable anyway... never really understood why it has such a high value.

I do understand it's a rare metal and shit but wtf do we actually need it for?

the king of saudi has a gold lavvi... so what lol.
i bet the brobat bloo plays havoc with it

Easy - Gold is THE last store of wealth. Fiat currencies are just a promise to pay someone, whilst gold is a tangible asset who's intrinsic value never really changes. If a gram of gold bought you a bag of potatoes 200 years ago, a gram of gold today still buys you a bag of potatoes. The same does not apply to fiat currencies. Gold is inflation proof and deflation proof as we are now finding out.

Easy - Gold is THE last store of wealth. Fiat currencies are just a promise to pay someone, whilst gold is a tangible asset who's intrinsic value never really changes. If a gram of gold bought you a bag of potatoes 200 years ago, a gram of gold today still buys you a bag of potatoes. The same does not apply to fiat currencies. Gold is inflation proof and deflation proof as we are now finding out.

that actually doesn't make sense.
for the simple reason that if we get all post apocalyptic and i have a bag of potatoes and you have an ounce of gold, I can eat my potatoes?

what value does an ounce of gold have then?

hmm i think im going to buy a ounce of gold from a dealer

sell it on to some 1 on ebay make a bit of profit and put that profit away e.g. money box

repeat it again and again until profit = value of 1 ounce

then buy 2 ounces and repeat selling and keep doing that and i should see a nice income

thats dealing gold

but investing is buying when its low and keeping till it gets high then sell

might do both

keep some bars as investment and sell them on ebay too

but what form of payment should i accept on ebay if i do this because i dnt want to get shafted

whats safest payment option

.etc

that actually doesn't make sense.
for the simple reason that if we get all post apocalyptic and i have a bag of potatoes and you have an ounce of gold, I can eat my potatoes?

what value does an ounce of gold have then?

The end of the world is not nigh, it's merely a financial catastrophe. Give me gold any day of the week :)

hmm i think im going to buy a ounce of gold from a dealer

sell it on to some 1 on ebay make a bit of profit and put that profit away e.g. money box

repeat it again and again until profit = value of 1 ounce

then buy 2 ounces and repeat selling and keep doing that and i should see a nice income

thats dealing gold

but investing is buying when its low and keeping till it gets high then sell

might do both

keep some bars as investment and sell them on ebay too

but what form of payment should i accept on ebay if i do this because i dnt want to get shafted

whats safest payment option

.etc

Bank transfer only.

Wait around until we hit $850 before you buy, that seems to be the new support level but read, read and read some more.

For what it's worth I think 2009 will trade in the $750-$1100 range averaging $900.

The end of the world is not nigh, it's merely a financial catastrophe. Give me gold any day of the week :)

Bank transfer only.

Wait around until we hit $850 before you buy, that seems to be the new support level but read, read and read some more.

For what it's worth I think 2009 will trade in the $750-$1100 range averaging $900.

ok m8 so with bank transfer he cant get money back or scam me?

and i will wait till it hits 850 and buy a ounce or 2 to get started
will sell them on ebay and if i get a quick sale .etc then buy more .etc

thanks 4 ur opinion m8

My missus likes buying gold but at the current prices she has put it on hold, phew! otherwise I would be even poorer than I already am!

My missus likes buying gold but at the current prices she has put it on hold, phew! otherwise I would be even poorer than I already am!

My missus loves diamonds but I paid off a pandit to tell her that stones would bring her bad luck :)

-

Fes, bank transfers cannot be reversed so it is the safest and cheapest way to get paid. Glad you are starting out small, it's the best way as you have many years to grow the business.

If you need any advice feel free to PM me at any time.

My missus loves diamonds but I paid off a pandit to tell her that stones would bring her bad luck :)

lol, I must try that one. At the moment I was telling her I was looking for the expiry date on the marriage certificate, which didnt really go down that well. I dunno, I found it funny :Kickassro

Back