Girl, 12, murdered and body dumped

Evastar

Inactive User
Reaction score
A 12-year-old girl was murdered and her partially clothed body dumped in undergrowth near a disused school beside a west-Dublin canal.

The child's body was discovered by a man walking his dog at around 4pm yesterday close to Porterstown Gate, Blanchardstown, on the banks of the Royal Canal. There were marks on the girl's body and there were signs of a struggle.

Gardai were last night trying to establish the cause of death of the girl, who was named locally as Michaela Davis from the Village, Porterstown, a housing estate close to where her body was found. The body was removed from the scene late last night. State Pathologist Marie Cassidy will perform a post-mortem examination today.

A 19-year-old man was arrested last night by gardai under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act. He was one of two men who presented voluntarily to gardai last night to assist in inquiries.

The 12-year-old was last seen alive by her parents at midnight on Friday after she returned home from a friend's house. It is understood that having returned home, she told her parents she was stepping out for a moment. When she failed to return, her parents notified gardai at 2am. Gardai continued searching for her throughout the day until her body was discovered by a passer-by yesterday.

The scene was closed off for forensic examination last night as gardai launched a top-level murder investigation involving local detectives and the National Bureau of Criminal Investigation.

State Pathologist Marie Cassidy attended the scene shortly before 6pm last night but left an hour later. It is understood that her preliminary investigations were hampered for a time as gardai experienced difficulties in accessing the girl's body, which was covered in undergrowth.

Detectives are investigating who Michaela intended to meet, and where she went after she left her home. One young person has told gardai that he saw Michaela in the early hours of the morning.

Another teenage girl reported to gardai that she had been in regular text contact with the girl shortly before she disappeared.

She claimed that she received a message from Michaela three hours before she was reported missing. It said: "I am just back from town, sounds fun." The text was accompanied by a 'smiley face' and several kisses.

Michaela is survived by her parents and her brother Brendan, who plays for St Mochta's under-17s football team. The family have lived in Porterstown village for years and are well known in the area.

Michaela was due to start attending secondary school at Luttrellstown Community College this week. She had got her hair done in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre on the day before she died.

The area where Michaela's body was discovered is a well known haunt of teenagers. She was found in undergrowth beside the disused Porterstown School, a large derelict four-story building beside the Royal Canal. Although there is a housing estate nearby, the locality is poorly lit and sparsely populated. The place is so desolate that locals have nicknamed it 'the Haunto'.

Teenagers were spotted hanging out in the area late on Friday night, hours before Michaela disappeared, according to locals. Last night, groups of teenagers congregated there in tears, crying and mourning the loss of Michaela. Fr John Daly, the parish priest of St Mochta's, also attended the scene.

Margaret O'Boyce, the deputy principal of St Mochta's National School, where Michaela had been a pupil up until recently, declined to comment.

Local people described Michaela as a slight, slim girl with long hair.

One friend said that when she last spoke to her on Friday, she was "in brilliant form".

Local politicians last night expressed shock at the discovery of the girl's body.

David McGuinness, a Fianna Fail councillor for the area, said: "A young girl from the locality has clearly lost her life. It's an awful tragedy. The region is quite rural. The people here would not be used to such a tragedy. We would hope that gardai would conduct a thorough inquiry to find out how this young girl lost her life."

Councillor Kieran Dennisson, a Fine Gael councillor in west Dublin said: "The whole area is devastated that this could happen."

The murder of a child is a rarity in Ireland.

The last child to be killed was 11-year-old Robert Holohan, who was killed by a neighbour near Midletown, Co Cork, in January, 2005.

Wayne O'Donoghue, who was convicted of his manslaughter, told gardai that he had argued with young Robert after he threw gravel at O'Donoghue's car. He then put the boy's body in the boot of his car and hid it in thick undergrowth miles away.

Robert's body was found after a week-long search.

Bernadette Connolly, 10, is the last girl murdered other than by a family member.

She disappeared from her home in Colooney, Co Sligo, in April 1970. There were also the high-profile disappearances of Mary Boyle, 6, in Donegal in 1977 and Philip Cairnes, 13, in Dublin in 1986 -- neither body was ever recovered.

Girl, 12, murdered and body dumped - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

God love her parents, but you have to ask the question, what on earth was a 12 year old doing out at midnight?

God love her parents, but you have to ask the question, what on earth was a 12 year old doing out at midnight?

what kind of parents let there 12 year old out at midnight???
mine are not allowed out after 8pm in the summer and he is 14.

thats good ya dont let ya kids out late, just wish more parents were like you`s.

i see to many young kids out at a much later time/s drinking etc
there parents just dont care or cant handle them.

so for you the parents who do care give ya self a pat on the back from me.:Clap::Clap::Clap:

Poor little kiddie, there really are some sick fooks on this planet of ours and it just seems ever increasing :(

I'm sure that's near the place I used to live, Castlefield court, Clonsilla.

Poor little kiddie, there really are some sick fooks on this planet of ours and it just seems ever increasing :(

I'm sure that's near the place I used to live, Castlefield court, Clonsilla.

Yup, not far from me either. But yeh, a 12yr old saying 'im just popping out for a few" at midnight is not on, parents dont care till its too late.

She was more of an advanced young girl, police had caught her out drinking and smoking. She was also hanging around with older lads.

this is very sad.........but why on earth was a 12 yr. old out so late

feel for any parent having to lose a child and yes there are some sickos out there, we all know it.

personally, i blame the parents. i have seen it many times. parents saying kids should grow up as they like and should be given the freedom of choice. i say bullcrap...kids should be told how to behave and what to do. thats the job of the parents. i see kids out in the streets till god knows what time on weekends and parents dont care. its todays society and its worrying. they grow up on fish chips mcdonalds and booze, what chance do they have.

parents are either out partying or drinking, kids do what they like...no wonder we are at this sorry state in society. dont get me wrong, i feel for this girl but she would have been one of those that would have been pregnant at 14 and be relying on the benefit system to give her a house by 18 being a single mum of 3.

its not just this girl and this girls family, we only talking about it because something horrid has happened but this is happening everywhere.

what we need is a license to breed. you need a license to drive, to own a tv! why not have the need to go through basic checks to give you the right to have kids. example, be able to support the kid financially, have a stable relationship etc. need some good old family values instilled and not let any old chav have kids otherwise we are heading for a very sorry state in this country.

feel for any parent having to lose a child and yes there are some sickos out there, we all know it.

personally, i blame the parents. i have seen it many times. parents saying kids should grow up as they like and should be given the freedom of choice. i say bullcrap...kids should be told how to behave and what to do. thats the job of the parents. i see kids out in the streets till god knows what time on weekends and parents dont care. its todays society and its worrying. they grow up on fish chips mcdonalds and booze, what chance do they have.

parents are either out partying or drinking, kids do what they like...no wonder we are at this sorry state in society. dont get me wrong, i feel for this girl but she would have been one of those that would have been pregnant at 14 and be relying on the benefit system to give her a house by 18 being a single mum of 3.

its not just this girl and this girls family, we only talking about it because something horrid has happened but this is happening everywhere.

what we need is a license to breed. you need a license to drive, to own a tv! why not have the need to go through basic checks to give you the right to have kids. example, be able to support the kid financially, have a stable relationship etc. need some good old family values instilled and not let any old chav have kids otherwise we are heading for a very sorry state in this country.

I would tend to agree with this, up to a certain age children should be told (and taught!) the difference between right and wrong as well as what is acceptable and what isn't up to a certain age and the best example you can possibly set is your own....don't think your kids aren't smart enough to see that you're not perfect because they'll see the way you act in your life and that's just for starters. After a certain age however imho they should be left somewhat to their own devices within reason (ie home any more than an hour late without good reason and you'll catch it) so that they can have the freedom to make their own choices and rightly learn from their mistakes but it's the parent's duty to be firm but fair and ingrain the ability in their children the mental capacity to learn from their said mistakes instead of repeating the same shit and learning nothing. I think regular guidance is needed beyond a certain age but before that point it should be taught. Then simply advised. But sure to set the ground rules for safety etc.

Not saying parenting is not easier said than done, but there's a lot of idiots out there with children who set bad examples to their kids and don't seem to give a fook what their kids do as long as they are not bugging them. And it's wrong.

Doesn't matter what it is either - children, teens, dogs with bad reps - it's all about how they're brought up, nothing more and nothing less. Brought up sloppy expect sloppy returns. Brought up shoddy expect an idiot. Brought up decently however and you have a decent person or decent animal....it's all in the upbringing it really is.

Last edited:
Terrible, terrible shame. Not all the facts are out on this, though (as usual): if she was known to smoking and drinking, would she hae said she was nipping iutside for a quick ciggie? She was reported missing after about 30 minutes I think, so the parents were aware very quickly something ws up.

Sometimes you hear about parents who "are their kids mates, call each other by first names" kind of stuff. Maybe they were trying to hard to be understanding of her smoking/drinking/hanging out with older kids and let her smoke outside the house, I dunno. having said that, there's no way I'd let one of mine at 12 be smoking/drinking/going out lat at night. Serious grounding going on there I reckon.

My sympathies to the family.

Back