Gemini Clone sagga-First statement

I dont under stand why you want dream to say were they make there units , is this so clone dealers can turn round and say my product is real because it comes from the same factory as the real ones this is the only reson i can see alot of people looking this not to say dream caused it after all there only trying to make a receiver and get a good return

How can they block them importing units pmsl come on its china money talks just like most places

I think this is the hole point they used dreams bootloader not the eagle or any of the othere ones as they were all so useing the same one , dream took action that i have said was not fair on a lot of people to make a point now lets see the clone producers make there own bootloader to fix the prob then there will be no need to clone dreams stuff and if you dont want to use gemini then so be there is othere images out there to be used but im sure dream will try some thing again time will only tell

We can go on about this for days weeks months years but still get no were but we can say this up to now not one person has taken dream to court over this that i have seen so they must have some leg to stand on ,this only came about because of greed people looking to make money lots of money i should say out of some one's product that they have put alot of money in to

Knowing the country of origin and the manufacture, might point to where the clones are actually coming from. There something to this besides, greed when the clone units are selling at about 1/8th that of the original Dreambox units price, or, about 30% over the cost of actual production cost per unit. Seems Dream has quite a profit margin, here.
Greed to me would be steal the unit and change the name, like has been done so many times before. Then sell them at nearly the same price, not bargain basement give away as is the case with the 500's. Eagle's come in to fill that slot, in that manor now anyway. Speculating, it looks more like retaliation by the manufactures against Dream. Theft is theft, but, the way this is happening doesn't make much sense.

Well here our customs agency does a pretty good job of blocking Cuban cigars, conflict diamonds, and South African gold.They can't seem to stop the spam from Nigeria though.
The FCC sited Dreambox, they could cite the clone importers as well.

The cloners might eventually come up with a new bootloader. But, they're in the same position as Dream and their new bootloader. It's still up to the image writers to accept and use the relevant parts of it, in their images. In the mean time we consumers still sit in the middle, getting dumped on by all sides.

The fate of Gemini really doesn't bother me either, I'm using PLi as many others. Their self proclaimed 76% market share, more than likely has dropped off, or, they wouldn't be in such a hurry to push out v4.4. But at least they state it won't work on clones. Or, so they think.
I'm sure the boys that need their Gemini fix will find a way.

IMnobody

Consumers are 'at risk' from dodgy retailers telling lies. So whats new?
Many, like yourself, just dont like Gemini or Dmm so its an easy time to blame them for worlds problems, but that biased view just doesnt wash with anyone who can think for themselves.
Hate them or not, Gemini often lead the way with development, just as they do with the images for the new High Definition DM800. Its consumers choice to buy what product they want and boycott Gemini if they so chose, no problem. Your extremist view is seen for what it is here, so its the wrong place for your crusade.

Go check out the pc rooms instead and state why everyone should boycott Windows, as linux is so much better and safer, and they dont combat piracy like Microsoft do.

Just what i was thinking pinky.

I don,t have a problem with clones, cos thats what they are a copy
of the genuine article. Full Sop ........... No Argument.

I own a Eagle aswell as a Dreambox. When the eagle image is
loaded, its got Gemini written all over it. So i paid for what i got
no more no less, a Copy.

On the other hand, the guys are putting a lot of new idea,s into
the Eagle image and its getting better and better and there is
loads of support for it. I,ve not had a db 500 , but i,m told the
Eagle is just as good or even better.

If Gemini is so crap, why are we all still using their setup programs
eg. Dreamup etc.

Fezzy

I think what pinkhelmets says is 100% right if it was not for dream or gemini putting so much time in to this receiver we might not even have the 800 at the end of it the small man got hurt as it always is but when you buy in to this hobby you know what you are getting in to so that a lone is the main risk and as for the customs agency doing a good job blocking Cuban cigars, conflict diamonds and so on i think that is a joke look how much drugs gets in to the uk alone and all the othere stuff if they were that good then we would not have a lot of the probs we have now

i think IMnobody is posting from an american point of view m8

And there was me thinking he was from the uk lol but still for a first post it did make some reading

Consumers are 'at risk' from dodgy retailers telling lies. So whats new?
Many, like yourself, just dont like Gemini or Dmm so its an easy time to blame them for worlds problems, but that biased view just doesnt wash with anyone who can think for themselves.
Hate them or not, Gemini often lead the way with development, just as they do with the images for the new High Definition DM800. Its consumers choice to buy what product they want and boycott Gemini if they so chose, no problem. Your extremist view is seen for what it is here, so its the wrong place for your crusade.

Go check out the pc rooms instead and state why everyone should boycott Windows, as linux is so much better and safer, and they dont combat piracy like Microsoft do.

Looks to me like the consumers are at greater risk from greedy companies using 3rd world sweat shop labor to produce interim, entry level technology products, that should cost far less, or, at least be allowed to compete in an open market, to determine it's true value to the consumers, as other STB's do.

And, it's not that I don't like Gemini, I simply don't like the way Gemini's conducted themselves in this issue. They should adopt the same policy of benevolence and cooperation the other image writers have tried to maintain. If they have an exploitation issue, they should seek to resolve it in the proper manor, not put the consumer in the line of fire.

Simplistically, Linux doesn't need to combat piracy. It is a superior product to windows,
because each developer, and users, can freely contributes new code to a given project, to improve the whole. Again over priced, restrictive trade, monopolistic practices is what's made Microsoft what it is today, Their bloated heads are proportional their products bloated kernel's.

Crusade perhaps, but, have any of you consider the broader aspects this represents. I feel the Linux embedded community could suffer from these actions. As well as other open source STB manufactures that share this communities resources. Where consumer confidence is damaged, by a products manufacture taking such actions against consumers, instead of going after those responsible, or, ignoring the issue.

Ok I'm done, I just hope other start to look beyond, what's being published about the issues.

IMnobody

Back