Gbox workaround Plugin: Neutrino images

PaphosAL

Veteran flasher
Reaction score
Oasis- Surrounded by bandits and noisy brats
Thanks to a nifty bit of work by SatSearching in SS-Enigma 3 I've now managed to make a small Flexmenu blue button plugin for Neutrino images that allows gbox to run without the arse-ache of having to keep manually entering the keys after a roll.

How? When the screen goes black with gbox, we just switch to evocamd, let the box AU, then switch back to gbox. A cunning piece of script by Cryogenic has automatically copied the new keys from the evocamd file to the gbox file in the correct format for gbox to carry on with.

What's new about that? OK, others have done similar recently, but with a bunch of Flexmenu files over 200kb in size. And the BIG but: Reboots are required for the Emu changes on all tested so far...

What's so clever about this fix, then? We've integrated a small fragment of Cryo's script into a 'skinny' Flexmenu plugin that only adds around 46kb to an image that doesn't have Flexmenu installed already! (For those images that do, the additional payload is miniscule).

Plus: Switching from gbox to evocamd and back to gbox is all done 'On the Fly' - No rebooting - No Restarting Neutrino!

With this afternoon's roll here in 'pure' - It was gbox to evocamd and back to gbox in under 60 seconds. Wicked, eh?

How to Install: It's a breeze. First, make sure you have gbox and evocamd resident in /var/bin and that the following files (and only these) are present in /var/keys:
  • Autoupdate.Key
  • camd_cfg
  • nagrarom7.bin (the new one by Cydine - 12/04/08)
  • nagraepr7.bin
  • nagraram7.bin
Also double-check that libcamdio.so.0 and libcrypto.so.0.9.7 are in the /lib folder, as without them, evocamd will NOT work! Neither of these files, NOR any of the files in /var/keys need to be chmod 755 - they can all be left at the default 644.

OK- Now start evocamd and let the box AU. It will create Keylist.txt in /var/keys automatically.

Next: This is where trying to do a 'global' Neutrino patch for Flexmenu differs greatly from doing a similar bolt-on for one particular Enigma image, so please tread carefully on this part, guys!

Use FTP or Tuxcom to look in your /var/tuxbox/config folder and check if there'a a file named shellexec.conf

-- If there is- some form of Flexmenu is probably already installed, so please follow the Partial Patch instructions at the bottom...

-- If you don't see that file- then you have a 'bare' image, or one that uses 'All in Wonder' type Extras menus from under Settings. Follow these instructions for a Full Install:

Full Install- unRAR the attached files and FTP everything to the same folders indicated inside my rar file, overwriting existing where applicable. The little nagra file that goes into /var/keys is important! It contains an OLD set of keys which will get updated as soon as you switch to gbox.

As AU on gbox is now disabled in the new gbox_cfg file (to prevent fake keys being written), it follows that gbox can no longer write it's own nagra file, so the 'dummy' is used to get gbox started off correctly..

Important: With the exception of shellexec.cfg and shellexec.conf - ALL other files transferred must be chmod 755, or it won't work! You need to Reload Plugins or Reboot to activate this new menu item under the Blue button.
-----------------------------------------------------

Partial Patch: Ignore this section if you've just done a Full Install, please.

OK- So you've already got some form of Flexmenu in your image. Check this with the Blue button- you should see some sort of extra system Menu there- but it could be called anything!!

Tread carefully now, you don't want to undo a shedload of stuff that's already there. UnRAR the attached files, and you will see everything is niceley 'Foldered' to indicate where the files are to be transferred to.

A lot of it will already be in your image. The new bits you need are in:
  • /var/bin
  • /var/etc
  • /var/keys
Transfer these over to the same folders, noting that the 2 files in /var/bin must be chmod 755

The final 'tricky' bit is to copy 'n paste the Menu part of my shellexec.conf file (including the Credits, please!) into your shellexec.conf in your /var/tuxbox/config folder. Have a good look at yours first (it's probably all crafted by Cryogenic) to see how the Menus and Sub-Menus are structured, and make sure you slot the New into the Old at exactly the right point. And do make a back-up first, just in case it goes pear-shaped!!

You're basically just adding in another Menu to an existing Menu, if that makes sense? Save when done- and Reload Plugins. Hope it works for you!

-----------------------------------------------------

Go on then- give it a whirl !! Feedback and any problems: In here, please.

Cheers- AL (and SatSeaching) :Cheers:

Nice to see you are getting the hang of linux scripts m8, I like the script that copies the keys to nagra format. Did you know you can also use CCcam and Scam and the box won't freeze - all you need to do is mod your script a little and it will work. Mind you there is no need really as gbox works fine - but if you're bored and want to try it's always possible.

Laters bud, and thanks for the mention.....:Clap:

AL,

I'm running Andromeda V2 right now. gbox and evocam live in var/bin/emu. Do I need to tweak the shellexec file to account for this ?

Cheers

@rodboy: I'm almost certain that Xenafan's Andromeda has flexmenu / shellexec in there already, m8. Follow the red bit in the destructions, and if you confirm it is, then follow everything except the Full Install section (as you don't want to overwrite your existing .conf file).

It's a careful Copy 'n Paste job for you, to add a menu item to an existing menu.

@mrdude: Sorry I missed you out in the main post, m8, been a hectic day- trying to share this around in both Enigma and Neutrino formats. You're in the actual menu credits though, which is the main thing!

Anyway- you should be patching the Enigma version, surely? It doesn't need Flexmenu, LOL!

Cheers- AL

Thanks for your reply it's appreciated m8.
I've already done the copy'n'paste part, unfortunately I have to go to work - double shift on Tuesdays. I'll work on the box tomorrow and let you know.
Thanks again

It works!!!

Hi,

I have now successfully applied the patch to "Androemda 2.0" and am now running with GBOX enabled.
I followed the "Partial Patch" instructions but had to make some tweaks to the patch as Rodboy pointed out.

The 2 files I had to tweak were:
AU_disable.sh
AU_enable.sh

I changed the location to the cams from /var/bin to /var/bin/emu

Thanks a lot to everyone involved in this patch. :Cheers:

Many thanks for pointing that out, axeman! Of course- this warning should have been in the instructions, cos so many images use that folder to stick the cams into.

Well done for spotting it, and for finding out which two files to edit so quickly, and getting it working. Nice feeling, innit?

Quick recap: Emus might be in /bin or /var/bin or /var/bin/emu - so edit those two files (AU_enable.sh and AU_disable.sh) to reflect your actual Path.

Also: (Another omission, oops)- Certain images require camd2 (11k, in /bin normally) to be started ahead of gbox, so this needs to be considered in those two same files as well. Both for startup, and for killall.

If you can't get gbox to work at all- then camd2 might be the answer... A good look at the top half of start or start_neutrino in /etc/init.d will give you a good clue on this one.

I knew a 'global' neutrino patch would be a cow. Who said Enigma was so difficult?

Cheers- AL

Well done for spotting it, and for finding out which two files to edit so quickly, and getting it working. Nice feeling, innit?

Yes , it does feel good when it works first time. That was because of the excellent instructions you and Rodboy provided.
Thanks again. :Clap:

Yes , it does feel good when it works first time. That was because of the excellent instructions you and Rodboy provided.
Thanks again. :Clap:

Nothing to do with me axeman !! I only pointed out the fact Andromeda V2 had a different path to the EMU's than AL's instructions. All credit goes to AL and his team for their hard graft.

Did you drop the var/bin files into var/bin/emu ?
Did you have to tweak the shellexec file to reflect the proper path ?
Did you copy 'n' paste the new menu directly under the existing one in shellexec ?

I'll have a go at this tonight after work.

Nothing to do with me axeman !! I only pointed out the fact Andromeda V2 had a different path to the EMU's than AL's instructions. All credit goes to AL and his team for their hard graft.

Did you drop the var/bin files into var/bin/emu ?
Did you have to tweak the shellexec file to reflect the proper path ?
Did you copy 'n' paste the new menu directly under the existing one in shellexec ?

I'll have a go at this tonight after work.

Hi,

These are the required changes following the "Partial Patch" instructions:

Did you drop the var/bin files into var/bin/emu ? No, I put them in /var/bin and chmod 755
Did you have to tweak the shellexec file to reflect the proper path ? No
Did you copy 'n' paste the new menu directly under the existing one in shellexec.conf ?
Yes

Tweak these 2 files as well to reflect the proper path from /var/bin/ to /var/bin/emu/:
AU_disable.sh
AU_enable.sh

I hope it works for you.

Last edited:
Hi,

These are the required changes following the "Partial Patch" instructions:

Did you drop the var/bin files into var/bin/emu ? No, I put them in /var/bin and chmod 755
Did you have to tweak the shellexec file to reflect the proper path ? No
Did you copy 'n' paste the new menu directly under the existing one in shellexec.conf ?
Yes

Tweak these 2 files as well to reflect the proper path from /var/bin/ to /var/bin/emu/:
AU_disable.sh
AU_enable.sh

I hope it works for you.

Cheers buddy, I'll get it sorted tonight.

All the best

Al your a star m8

you share and help so many people

the beers on AL

Al your a star m8

you share and help so many people

the beers on AL

The man is a class act, like yourself Gav. Although he is a self confessed Stella guzzling grumpy old git, LOL.

If there was no sharing or friendly help we wouldn't have this fantastic forum !!!!
The only downside to all this fantastic work is that the parasites and leeches get their grubby hands on it and make themselves a packet, unfortunately I don't have a remedy for this problem.

All the best

Cheers, Gav- and Rod, nice words like that are what makes it all worthwhile, really!

As to your worries with leechers, Rod, I had an email from a famous image guru last night (he knows who he is, LOL!) that the leechers wouldn't be able to make head nor tail out of this patch. He's probably right...

But for the rest of us, it's an interesting learning curve- particularly when there are so many varieties of Neutrino images out there, all doing things slightly differently.

If you put your mind to it, you WILL get this patch working in YOUR image! You might be short of a few other files, but they are all within easy reach.

If you finish up banging your head against a brick wall- then ask in here and we'll do our best to help.

Cheers- AL :Cheers:

Had a go with this last night.

Works exactly as described for grabbing the keys and swaping cams etc although I did find a problem with it but not sure if it effects anyone other than me so here goes.

Telent into the box ad watch the processes. To start with gbox alone running, swap over to evo and it AU's, then select to swap back. Now at this point the original gbox stuff is still running alone with the evocamd started and then finally the second gbox.
On a reboot just one gbox runs and of course it works. Now it's not going to effect the box in going read only but it certainly could slow a box down with so many copys of the cams running. I am not sure why they are as the commands are the to kill they, they just don't want to die :)

Sorry, cdh- but I just tested emu swaps, monitoring progress via Telnet, but can't reproduce what you're reporting to be happening, m8.

/var # ps -auwx | grep gbox - with gbox running:
126 root 10708 S /var/bin/gbox
133 root 10708 S /var/bin/gbox
134 root 10708 S /var/bin/gbox
135 root 10708 S /var/bin/gbox
136 root 10708 S /var/bin/gbox
167 root 1792 S grep gbox - gbox is active
/var # ps -auwx | grep evocamd - and evocamd is dead.
169 root 1792 S grep evocamd
/var # ps -auwx | grep evocamd - Now I switch to evocamd:
224 root 11660 S /tmp/evocamd
226 root 11660 S /tmp/evocamd
227 root 11660 S /tmp/evocamd
229 root 1792 S grep evocamd
/var # ps -auwx | grep gbox
231 root 1792 S grep gbox - and gbox is dead
/var # ps -auwx | grep gbox - Now I switch back to gbox:
288 root 10708 S /var/bin/gbox
299 root 10708 S /var/bin/gbox
300 root 10708 S /var/bin/gbox
301 root 10708 S /var/bin/gbox
302 root 10708 S /var/bin/gbox
304 root 1792 S grep gbox - gbox is active
/var # ps -auwx | grep evocamd
306 root 1792 S grep evocamd - and evocamd is dead.
/var #

All looks sound as a pound to me! Cheers- AL :proud:

The strange thing there on your post is the way gbox restarts on precisely the same process id's as it was, that is not normal unix behaviour, but hey it works so don't knock it :)

As I said could be a weird thing to me, but I had it a couple of times.

I will try it out again over the weekend and see if there is something I am doing different or my image is at any rate. Just so long as it doesn't effect most people then it's all good.

OK- I've sussed what is happening at your end, m8.

If you choose Red- Enable AU with Evocamd but evocamd is already running- the system falls over.

Do the same thing with Gbox with gbox already running, and the system still works OK, but with 2 lots of gbox now resident.

I've built a trap into the two .sh files in /var/bin that now tests to see if the selected cam is already running- and acts accordingly. Fully tested!!

Cheers- AL

Back