Gas Engineers advice needed.

kegnkiwi

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I need a little advice, I had a main combi 30he boiler installed about 2 years ago. Its started to have an intermitten fault of the fan light flashing so therefore not lighting the pilot light and no hot water, intermittent fault and googling refers to the aps. (air pressure switch). Now heres my problem.

I had the boiler installed two years ago, I boiler was installed and signed off at the back of the manual and signed, but i did not get a gas safe of any other paperwork. It cost me £1400 to have installed. A couple of weeks after having it installed watchdog showed people how to check on local gas fitters, after checking I find that my fitter was not safegas regsitered. We called him up to ask him about this and he told us he does all his own commissions. Since then he has been a little difficult and now the boiler is faulty I don't know if he will come out. I'm not bothered about paying out but how do I go about getting a safegas registered engineer to work on a boiler they did not install. To top it off I have a house addtional insurance policy that covers boiler repairs but i dare not call them

ki

Hi guys,

I need a little advice, I had a main combi 30he boiler installed about 2 years ago. Its started to have an intermitten fault of the fan light flashing so therefore not lighting the pilot light and no hot water, intermittent fault and googling refers to the aps. (air pressure switch). Now heres my problem.

I had the boiler installed two years ago, I boiler was installed and signed off at the back of the manual and signed, but i did not get a gas safe of any other paperwork. It cost me £1400 to have installed. A couple of weeks after having it installed watchdog showed people how to check on local gas fitters, after checking I find that my fitter was not safegas regsitered. We called him up to ask him about this and he told us he does all his own commissions. Since then he has been a little difficult and now the boiler is faulty I don't know if he will come out. I'm not bothered about paying out but how do I go about getting a safegas registered engineer to work on a boiler they did not install. To top it off I have a house addtional insurance policy that covers boiler repairs but i dare not call them

ki

Firstly I would call a gassafe fitter out asap to fix and certify the boiler. Just because they have not fitted it should not mean they wont sign it off after a through inspection which I would think will cost you £££.

Your risking your families life by leaving it two years with no certification.

Find a Gas Safe registered business by phone
We offer a telephone service for finding and checking registered engineers. Please call 0800 408 5500.

Hi Rs2k_Rider

I think this is what we will do and bypass the guy who installed the boiler completely, but just out of interest whats is an average price I should expect to pay to have the boiler throughly checked over and certified, where up in west yorkshire. As I said money is not the issue but I do like to know a ball park figure so I am not ripped off.

ki

Hi Rs2k_Rider

I think this is what we will do and bypass the guy who installed the boiler completely, but just out of interest whats is an average price I should expect to pay to have the boiler throughly checked over and certified, where up in west yorkshire. As I said money is not the issue but I do like to know a ball park figure so I am not ripped off.

ki

Could not say mate, im in medical not gas lol :) Although medical gas is quite fun :p

I know though that a std gas cert down here in London is about £50-80, thats to sign a cooker fitting off and test pressure. But for a boiler commission I would not know, as they will have to effectively recommission it.

i'm gas safe and the only problem you might encounter is getting someone to sign it off and willing to put their name to it,if any probs it will fall back to the engineer who signed it off.

and if anything happens god forbid that someone gets hurt,gas safe will check who installed it......i.e the person who's name is against your boiler and go after him,not the actual person who installed.

if you get someone willing to do this then he might have to de-commission the boiler and then reinstate it and that could be costly

good luck and hope you get it sorted

Not a problem just get a regular gas saftey inspection done then let them tell you what the fault is explain you cant even remember who installed it.

Ask them to fix the fault and give you a gas saftey check certificate.

I just fixed my own boiler in my caravan then paid £69.99 for my yearly gas saftey check he passed it and left the certificate.

Play dumb how can you remember who fitted it your a busy man :proud:

Back