Gas & Electric use spreadsheet

kopernikus

Inactive User
Reaction score
I've been developing a gas and electricity usage spreadsheet to compare different energy suppliers and their various tariffs. They only tend to have two basic tariffs, with (and without) standing charges.
The spreadsheet allows you to compare 3 different suppliers.
If there is any interest, I will post both the xls and the open office equivalent (ods) on this thread later.
You need either MS excel or open office calc to use !

I've been developing a gas and electricity usage spreadsheet to compare different energy suppliers and their various tariffs. They only tend to have two basic tariffs, with (and without) standing charges.
The spreadsheet allows you to compare 3 different suppliers.
If there is any interest, I will post both the xls and the open office equivalent (ods) on this thread later.
You need either MS excel or open office calc to use !

i will try and keep up with this if it happens. ill probably get the wife to do it lol

good idea , cheers

To correctly calculate the KWH from the m3 value. That will be a true representation on gas usage based on actual consumptions.

To correctly calculate the KWH from the m3 value. That will be a true representation on gas usage based on actual consumptions.

Understood. We don't have gas in the village so I didn't get it :)

Here is the spreadsheet!
Yes! it does include calorific value and correction factor

Attachments

• Power Use Spreadsheet.zip
    60.7 KB · Views: 19
how do i open it in read/write mode as it only opens in read mode

I just downloaded it myself and it is unlocked and it works OK. You can only edit the GREEN boxes when it is locked, The yellow boxes cannot be modified and are locked. (See bottom line) You can unlock it ~ goto tools/protection & the code is 1234 as shown on the bottom centre of the page (p/w 1234) Either the page or the document can be unlocked. If you do unlock make sure you re-lock each "page" otherwise you could overwrite the calculation boxes and the program will be useless.

Any problems please post and everybody can benefit from the Q & A

I had my stupid hat on yesterday I didn't unzip the files first so when I opened it in openoffice it was read only after unzipping it works fine thanks for the work in doing this

I had to wait until I had used 3 months gas and electric before I could use this as all my old usage bills had been destroyed when we moved to first utility but it works great I just had to divide the results 365 and multiply by 90 as it was only 3 months usage but by changing the standing charged and unit cost i got comparisons that were unbiased by comparison sites well worth doing and thank you for the work put into it

Glad you are able to use it. I have a helpfile attached which explains the basic method of calculation. It is a zip file and can be opened in openoffice writer.

Attachments

• power.zip
    18.2 KB · Views: 5
its the standing charge that seems to be the rip off here, gas sitting in a pipe when not being used, and i'm being charged for it?? .....................BTW i'm a gas engineer

Another way to extract money from customers, i'm waiting for another charge to be conjured up when they claim that they are not making enough money.

There is no significant difference in cost between the daily standing charge tariff and and the non standing charge tariff if you use the higher rate minimum kw usage for gas (900) and electricity (2680). If you use no gas or electricity at all then you will pay is just the standing charge plus vat. That is why low power users are usually on the standing charge tariff.

Back