Gardening Emergency!!!

Evastar

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have just discovered what appears to be a pomato plant in my vegetable plot, this is a cross between a tomato plant and potato plant and is highly poisonous. Do i need to dig up and throw away all the rest of the potato plants in that bed, just in case?

pmsl...wot the hell...i aint ever seen one of them !
is it alien food hahah

google it m8 it is caused by mixing the stems allowing you to grow toms on top & pots underneath

Sounds fecking ace. Couldn't these plants solve starvation in the third world...

I've been googling it chris, and there seems to be different opinions on it. I've always been led to believe they were poisonous. Not quite sure what to do now lol

edit: ok it looks like the green tomato like fruit is poisonous, but the potatoes are ok. i might just dump them anyway, just in case :( http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/2004/7-2-2004/tomatopotato.html

Last edited:
I've been googling it chris, and there seems to be different opinions on it. I've always been led to believe they were poisonous. Not quite sure what to do now lol

have them with your Sunday dinner.
if we dont see you around on Monday then i guess they are poisoness lol:banana:

Based on what I have read on the net m8 they will be fine to eat just enjoy em while you got em

well i have chucked the two plants that had the green fruit on them, i will examine the other plants and if there's no fruit on them keep those potatoes. if it was just me i'd say grand, but with your kids you dont want to take any chances, you know. and i was really looking forward to trying this years potatoes :(

well i have chucked the two plants that had the green fruit on them, i will examine the other plants and if there's no fruit on them keep those potatoes. if it was just me i'd say grand, but with your kids you dont want to take any chances, you know. and i was really looking forward to trying this years potatoes :(

I see where your commin from but I would have waited and seen what the fruits turned out like

they weren't like tomatoes inside, more like apples, hard and whitish inside. Anyway, i looked at the rest of the plants, they are the same, so will be throwing them all away :(

I have a couple of potato plants growing in pots the other side of the garden, they look ok, and my tomatoes are grand as well, so could have been worse i suppose! :)

Just throw them away..It aint worth the risk. You wont be able to grow any tatties in the same area next year due to diseases..

I cant see how the tatties have crossed over unless you had a dodgy maincrop....

I have tomatoes planted, i'm wondering if the bees and other insects cross pollinated them? or there might have been tomato in the composting bin?

Last edited:
Where did you get your tomoto from origionaly?? seed?? Transplanted??

Because to grow a topato/pomato plant you need to join the 2 plants together when they are maturing..

This is done by slicing the 2 stems and joining them together.. i very much doubt seeds would survive composting as slugs etc would eat them..

Back