Funny old life...

Him Her

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
...nearly finished spraying all the fences with dark creosote. Actually, it's a mix of dark creosote and something else REALLY evil. Not sure exactly what it is but it's very black and after testing the texture with my finger I was happy to discover the local A&E had a fix for it - I should recover full use of my finger in about six months.

Now, before anyone mentions creosote is banned, remember this is the country and such bans are discretionary...

...what I really SHOULD have remembered is this is harvesting time and barley is pretty evil stuff too. I had to walk round the barley field to spray the creosote, barley cuts stuff, like legs, shorts were a bad idea. Creosote gets absorbed by the skin but when it's got cuts in it...

...well, legs are a bit of a mess really. Half a litre of Savlon has helped massively but the locals still cross the road when they see me coming!

So, taking a day or so off to recover I'm at a bit of a loose end, then the eldest rings, can I help put up a marquee for the wedding (his). No, we're not 'posh' - all will be revealed ;)

I had this idea in my mind and it was completely wrong. Anyway, there are LOTS of boxes with poles and roof, sides, bits of elastic things, nuts, bolts, nylon rope, pegs. No instructions. Google it - no instructions. After about four hours we figure it out mostly. It's pretty much built so heave on the roof before lifting it up onto its feet. We found the instructions in the box with roof - thanks.

There's a roll of cloth left over - sixty metres long. What this, I ask. It's the roof lining apparently - we have to make it as a ready-made one will be £500. It has to be cut into 12 x 5 metre lengths and hemmed on the sewing machine. That's around 100 metres of stitching - who will be doing that?

You still got the old sewing machine is the question asked. Huh?

I found the old sewing machine, Fixed it, Googled it to find out where the thread went. Figured out how to make up marquee panels...

And if a SINGLE PERSON says a word you can FORGET that frock you ordered, end of...

:Laugh:

Try and get those red stains off the table cloths, might spoil a good wedding. :) :)

thats a lot of first aiders going. do they work for the red cross.. lol

The groom and one Best Man (there were two) turn up - on bikes natch!

Arrival2.jpg

A few snaps...

InUse.JPG

Cake.JPG

Cutting.JPG

Note: All 'Dad dancing' pics have been removed to the Adult Thread!

Last edited:
Back