formating xp

M

mickeycc

i need help does anybody no what the formula is for formating xp format c: will not let me format anybody any ideas

yer m8 what you have to do is insert your win xp cd and start you machine then go through the instructions on the cd.

thats the way i did it and it worked for me.

Do you have an old win 98 boot floppy with cd rom drivers on it and the format exe file??

if so boot from floppy and format c:\ will work fro the A:\>

What error msg are you getting??

if u use a startup floppy run fdisk first because xp is ntfs not fat32 so u will need to delete the partitions and then create new ones then restart with floppy in at a prompt type format c: but caution if ur xp disc is a upgrade you will need to install me or 98 hope this helps

You could do what i did, if you have a second Computer that is,<br />connect your hard drive to the IDE2 socket on the second PC, then give it a full format, that worked for me when i tried XP on my PC and had trouble trying to get rid of it, and as billy2hats says it loads up as ntfs and not fat32 like win Me......and i will not be using XP again what a load of rubbish it is....... Gazer.

Put a win 98 start up disk in reboot the machine at the a prompt type format c: this will format your drive, take out the start up disk and reboot when staring back up go into your bios and make you cd drive the boot drive restart your machine with win xp in the cd drive and win xp will lead you throught the rest of it.

Emo

Back