format a write protected HDD

krazylegz

Inactive User
Reaction score
been trying to format my external HDD but i'm getting the error that its write protected.

i've tried formatting it in safemode and also tried looking for the following registry but its not there

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies.
The value 'WriteProtect' should be absent or set to '0' and when you try to format it you have to format it as FAT16
anyone got any ideas?

hi mate , in admin tools does it show up computer management/storage , if so will it let u delete the partion , so its then unallocated , then format or if that fails try this

Step 1Boot your computer into safe mode. To do this, restart your computer. While it is rebooting, continually press the F8 key until a menu pops up. From that menu, select "Safe Mode."

Step 2Open Windows Explorer. To do this, wait for your computer to finish starting in Safe Mode. From the desktop, press the windows key and "E" simultaneously.

Step 3Right-click on the disk you're attempting to format. Select the "Format" option from the pop-up menu.

Step 4If the steps above do not work, try editing the registry directly. Select START (bottom left of your screen) and RUN to open the run dialog box. Type "regedit" (without quotes) into the dialog box that appears, and press enter.

Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies. Change the value for the key "WriteProtect" to 0.

Step 5For formatting a USB drive that is write-protected, there is a software tool that can help. If you can't format your write-protected drive with the steps outlined above, try downloading and running the free HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool (see Resources).

a windows xp cd has some very powerful formatting tools built in - just boot from
the cd - choose the external drive from the list of possible install partitions - then
follow the on-screen directions for formatting the partition or drive

Back