Fooked my netgear. any ideas??

Brenussat

Inactive User
Reaction score
The other day i thought i would upgrade my firmware on my netgear wnr834b wifi router"bet you know where this is going" i had a flippin power cut smack in the middle it only lasted about 2secs but everything reset now my router will not come on. It lights up but thats about it DOH !!! loved this router. Tried the reset button but nothing the power led just pulses. any ideas pls ?

Thanks guys will check the netgear site. If they havn't could you please briefly just explain what JTAG is. Thanks

No joy i'm afraid. Did exactly as the help file said but nothing. Real shame as i get so close. I can ping the router send and recieve the 32bytes with no loss but as soon as i do the last bit. tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put wnr834bv1_1_0_4_0_ww no joy just goes back to the list of options i have tried this loads of times too with no joy.
Wierd thing is it will only ping the router if i put the ethernet lead in one of the four ports not the modem port.

No joy i'm afraid. Did exactly as the help file said but nothing. Real shame as i get so close. I can ping the router send and recieve the 32bytes with no loss but as soon as i do the last bit. tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put wnr834bv1_1_0_4_0_ww no joy just goes back to the list of options i have tried this loads of times too with no joy.
Wierd thing is it will only ping the router if i put the ethernet lead in one of the four ports not the modem port.

Don't want to tell you how to suck eggs but...did you put in the full pathname after the put command? e.g. C:\<filename>. I know from experience when doing stuff like this, it's always best to dump file to root of C: drive.

tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put C:\wnr834bv1_1_0_4_0_ww

Yes i did mate i was up until 12:40am messing about with it, sucks knowing i'm really close. BTW don't worry about telling me how to do things i honestly need all the help i can get , anyway how many times have we all read a post and realised its some S*itty little detail weve missed thats had us pulling our hair out until 3am.
Thanks again

Tried again today but all i keep getting is "cant read from local file" think its time to call it a day.
Cheers for the help guys worth a try.

Did you put the .img part at the end?

i.e.

tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put c:\wnr834bv1_1_0_4_0_ww.img

Yeah i did but still wont go on. Gutted ! This router was great as well. Using a belkin n1 at the mo but much prefered the netgear.

Have you tried posting on the DD-WRT forums? They support that router, and I'd imagine they've got quite a lot of experience un-bricking them.

Did you execute the command in dos from the same directory the .img file was dumped to? I tend to change right back to c: and submit cmd's from there if I'm having issues, rather than leaving it at the default C:\Documents and Settings\ blah blah blah...

"Cannot read from local file" sounds like you're almost there and maybe just a pathname error? Or it's having difficulty reading the .img file. Have you tried downloading it again?

And lastly, how long are you leaving it after the ping before attempting the ftp? Are you doing it immediately?

I wouldn't give up just yet, sounds to me like you almost cracked it.

Did you execute the command in dos from the same directory the .img file was dumped to? I tend to change right back to c: and submit cmd's from there if I'm having issues, rather than leaving it at the default C:\Documents and Settings\ blah blah blah...

"Cannot read from local file" sounds like you're almost there and maybe just a pathname error? Or it's having difficulty reading the .img file. Have you tried downloading it again?

And lastly, how long are you leaving it after the ping before attempting the ftp? Are you doing it immediately?

I wouldn't give up just yet, sounds to me like you almost cracked it.

I wandered about changing the directory but i couldnt get it to do it ,all i could find was the remove directory ,really crap at all this sorry.
Also i am leaving it a minute or so after the ping to try but i have tried loads of times at all different intervals.
I have also downloaded the file several times and tried backdated firmware too.
Dont want to give up i do feel i'm nearly there.

Last edited:
Any firewall running on the NIC you are using?

Any anti-virus running? Some don't like .img files.

If so disable both by right clicking the systray icon and close them down (rules out any possibilty) - disable the windows firewall too - again to rule this out.

Navigate to the .img file in C: and right click it, is it read-only? Have you tried renaming the .img to something simpler such as bricked.img and try the tftp command line again?

You are doing this using wired connection not wireless (as your router is bricked I'm prolly really stupid for asking this, sorry)

Is it a Version 1 or Version 2 WNR834B?

How old is it? You could try to RMA is to Netgear and act like you don't know why its bricked ;)

Also,

Might be worth a try - unplug the power from the router and type your command line in, as soon as you press enter plug the power in. But again the 'cant read local file' seems to be a problem reading it FROM your computer.......nowt really to do with the router itself...

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back