Floyd Mayweather's fight with Manny Pacquiao 'is off'

YESSS Its back on according to todays Guardian Manny has agreed to 3 blood tests. Could be worth £200 million. Money in this case SHOUTS. March 13 Las Vegas . Fingers crossed.:Clap:

Only another three and a half more months of this, fight on - fight off - fight on - fight off.

MANNY PACQUIAO'S March 13 showdown with Floyd Mayweather Jnr is OFF.

The two boxers had been locked in a bitter dispute over drug testing in the build-up to the highly-anticipated bout.

But two days of mediation have failed to find a resolution and Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum insists the fight is now officially dead.

Arum said: "Mayweather walked away — the fight's off. Our guy was agreeable, Mayweather wasn't.

"The fight's off not because of us, not even because of Mayweather's promoters Golden Boy, it's because of him personally."

Team Mayweather had claimed Pacquiao's refusal to agree to give blood 30 days prior to the fight was because the Filipino uses performance-enhancing drugs.

But Arum insists undefeated Money never had any intention of stepping in the ring with the world's greatest pound-for-pound fighter.

He added: "It's not surprising. I always felt that Mayweather wasn't going to do the fight.

"He knows Manny will beat him. Mayweather's never stepped into the ring with a guy unless he knew he could beat him.

"That's why there's never been a fight with Shane Mosley, there's never been an Antonio Margarito, there never was a Miguel Cotto.

"Mayweather is a coward. He will never fight anyone who will remotely give him a tough fight.

"I'm not disappointed in the sense that I always knew it was going to be this way."

Arum now expects Pacquiao to fight undefeated Israeli WBA light-middleweight king Yuri Foreman in Las Vegas on March 13 or March 20.

Manny Pacquiao's fight with Floyd Mayweather Jnr is off | The Sun |Sport|Boxing

...Any opinions Gargamel?

Well you know I really like both fighters BUT I've never liked the way Mayweather Jr and Snr have made accussations at Pac about steroid abuse... I just think it's dirty and unsporting.

On what evidence do they even make the claim?
Do they have witnesses who have seen Pac taking these magic drugs?
Do they have hard evidence of Pac's steroid abuse??

Oh yeah, that's right - the clear evidence is that Pac's worked his way up thru different weight divisions?

BIG DEAL!!! Is THAT it??

In that case I was thinking Jermaine Defoe is looking a bit more beefy and stocky this season than he looked last season - he must be on steroids too. I'm convinced.

See what I mean - totally daft to be able to band around unsubstantiated accusations like that and its a disgusting way to throw dirt on somebody's name and hope that it sticks.

As far as I know Pac's always complied with the mandatory testing rules and has never even had a dodgy wee-wee test result but Team Mayweather are demanding special new Floyd rules and from how it looks to me - what Team Mayweather demand, Team Mayweather expect to get - but Pac is a big box office marquee name as well now, not some undercard guy who should have to jump thru any hoops that Floyd puts up.

Now I know people will say "Oh just take the test Pac" but if Pac and Freddie Roach are anything like me, then as soon as somebody comes at them and starts giving them orders and saying that they must do ALL of the compromising - this has instantly put their backs up and that's why they're refusing.

And to be honest I don't blame them. It's not a 50/50 meeting in the middle - Mayweather is getting to make all of the demands and expecting Pac to compromise... Floyd wants blood testing, Floyd will only fight in a certain venue etc...

Anyway we could go on yapping about this for days... like all of us, I just hope the fight eventually happens.

Top Rank has announced on their Facebook page that Manny Pacquiao will defend the WBO welterweight title on March 13 against Joshua Clottey. We talked about that earlier but it seemed most of us were skeptical it could happen. Apparently, it's going to.

Clottey is a tough stylistic matchup for anyone, and Pacquiao will be facing a real, live welterweight again for sure. Clottey is no joke. As Floyd Mayweather Sr. himself once put it, "Joshua Clottey ain't nothin' to f**k with."

I'm not sure if that March 13 date is correct or a typo. All reports are that Mayweather has retained the March 13 date at the MGM Grand, and that Pacquiao would fight on March 20, likely at the Thomas & Mack Center.

Pacquiao-Clottey is really about as good of a March fight as Pacquiao was going to get with the Mayweather negotiations falling apart. The other two top welterweights besides Pacquiao, Mayweather, Clottey, and Miguel Cotto are fighting each other on January 30 (Shane Mosley and Andre Berto), and would surely not be ready by March for another fight. Pacquiao is running for office in the Philippines in May, meaning he won't be available to fight again after March until this fall, most likely.

Clottey (35-3, 20 KO) will get another chance to break into the very, very elite of the sport. He lost a tough decision to Antonio Margarito back in 2006, and lost a rough, back-and-forth battle with Miguel Cotto in June. His first loss was a 1999 disqualification against former welterweight champion Carlos Baldomir.

Pacquiao is running for office in the Philippines in May, meaning he won't be available to fight again after March until this fall, most likely.

You've gotta love Pac... what a guy!!

A dad, a husband, a movie star, a pop singer and running for political office balanced with the other little day job of being one of the world's best boxers.

I know he has a whole entourage of people to help him but it's still incredible how he manages his time to do all this - I do just a few things in one day and I'm bloody knackered!!!

Things might be looking up

Manny's given a little leeway, if Mayweather's serious about getting it on here's his chance. Fingers crossed.
Filipino star Manny Pacquiao has given the clearest indication yet that he is willing to compromise over Floyd Mayweather's drug-testing demands.

Pacquiao says he would now be willing to take a blood test 14 days ahead of any fight with his American rival.

"I have agreed to it, but they should not draw much blood," he said.

Negotiations for a bout between the pair fell through earlier this year when the unbeaten Mayweather insisted on Olympic-style random drug testing.

Five-weight world champion Pacquiao said: "They should only take what is necessary for the drug test."

The 31-year-old, who previously said he does not like giving blood close to his fights, added: "14 days," when stating the time limit for blood to be taken before the fight.

In the run-up to their aborted March bout, Mayweather called for repeated blood testing up to the day of the fight. Pacquiao, who has never failed a doping test, wanted a 30-day cut-off.

Mayweather later said he agreed to a 14-day cut-off but that Pacquiao would not accept it.

Since then they have faced different opponents, with Mayweather beating Shane Mosley and Pacquiao defeating Joshua Clottey.

A fight between the pair, widely regarded and the two best pound-for-pound boxers in the world, would also likely be the richest in the sport's history, with Las Vegas or Dallas the likely venue.

"He [Mayweather] will no longer have a reason [not to fight]," added Pacquiao. "Let's see if that is really the reason."

Earlier this month, Pacquiao said he would have one last fight after securing a seat in the Philippine Congress by a huge margin.

His chief financial adviser Michael Konzc added that 6 November and 13 November had been set aside as potential dates for his next bout.

If it is not against Mayweather, Mexico's Antonio Margarito is his other likely opponent.
Source
HH.

I seriously cant get my head round the criticism Mayweather received for his requests before the last fight.

I support the statement that he's assumptions about Pacquiao were unfounded and not something he should have flouted without evidence. Simply stating he wanted a level playing field would have been enough.

The fact is, this fight will be the biggest in boxing history and both boxers will want assurances that no one has an upper hand based on anything outside of boxing skills they possess. So am sure his paranoia and nervousness took over as regardless of what he says, he knows Manny Pacquiao is the only person who can beat him and looking at past fights, may well do so.

End of the day if Manny really wanted the fight he could have easily agreed to what I would say is a reasonable request in a fight of this magnitude. But neither boxer wanted to give an inch in this mammoth match.

I will maintain my original stance, that this whole thing has been a marketing ploy mostly by Mayweather. He is promoting this fight beyond recognition, the whole world is waiting and he will make them wait until he knows the fight is making as much money as possible and then go ahead with it. Maybe Pacquiao is part of this too, but either way I don't think what we saw was the truth, what we saw was the build up to the biggest fight in history and it will happen.

Just it will happen when these two decide it happens.

Back