Floyd Mayweather's fight with Manny Pacquiao 'is off'

NL7

Inactive User
Reaction score
Floyd Mayweather Jr's planned bout with Manny Pacquiao is off because of a blood-testing dispute, according to Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum.

"As far as I'm concerned, the fight is off," said Arum, referring to the scheduled 13 March welterweight bout.

The American's camp were told by Pacquiao's people that the Filipino would not agree to blood-testing in the 30 days prior to the fight.

The welterweight super-fight was expected to be the richest of all time.

Arum accused Mayweather's camp of raising the issue not because they were worried about Pacquiao taking performance-enhancing substances, but because Mayweather never wanted to fight in the first place.

Arum said Pacquiao would agree to testing by the same agencies that test pro American Football and baseball players, but not for random tests by the US Anti-Doping Agency.

Pacquiao's trainer Freddie Roach added: "The sanctioning bodies and the state commissions run the boxing world, not Floyd Mayweather.

"Who is this guy to tell us that we have to have blood tests, or urine tests, or any tests? He's just looking for a way out of the fight."

Mayweather associate Richard Schaefer said: "He, Pacquiao, would only agree to have blood drawn before the kick-off press conference and after the fight.

"It is unfortunate to hear this from Manny Pacquiao's representatives, particularly since both parties had worked out all other issues related to this fight."

Unbeaten Mayweather's management want both men - regarded as the two best pound-for-pound fighters in the world - to submit to blood-testing prior to the bout, to ensure both men are clean.

Schaefer, who is chief executive of Golden Boy Promotions, added: "Todd [DuBoef, president of Pacquiao's promoters Top Rank] told me that Pacquiao has difficulty with taking blood and doesn't want to do it so close to the fight."

Prior to Arum's announcement, the 32-year-old Mayweather had urged Pacquiao to agree to the blood-testing.

"I understand Pacquiao not liking having his blood taken, because frankly I don't know anyone who really does," said Mayweather.

"But in a fight of this magnitude, I think it is our responsibility to subject ourselves to sportsmanship at the highest level."

But Roach countered: "We have passed every test ever given to us. We go by the commission rules, since when does the fighter make up the rules?

"When Manny gives blood it takes him three or four days to recover from it. I am not going to have my fighter going into a fight feeling weak and not sure of himself.

"Mayweather is scared, and he's just afraid that he's going to get his ass kicked."

The fight had been expected to be held at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

The Staples Center in Los Angeles, home of the NBA's Lakers was also touted as a possible venue and representatives of Cowboys Stadium in Dallas were also said to be interested in hosting arguably the biggest fight since the turn of the century.

Pacquiao, 31, became a five-weight world champion following his WBO welterweight title win over Miguel Cotto in November, while Las Vegas-based Mayweather returned from a 21-month retirement to beat Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez in September.

Arum added that Pacquiao still plans to fight on 13 March and will now look for another opponent.

BBC Sport - Floyd Mayweather's fight with Manny Pacquiao 'is off'

Agree with Roach, I think Mayweather is scared of losing his 0 record and this has thrown some doubt over the fight.

Manny has proven himself time and time again at different weights and completely outboxed every fighter, both are the Worlds best boxers and this would be the biggest box office fight EVER!

Mayweather is playing gams with the blood test debate but this is to cover himself, why would Manny or Floyd want to cheat when they are the best boxers pound for pound.

Praying for this fight to happen

Gutted..don't think it's the end of the story though. Well, really hoping it's not.

this fight will happen, its got to happen....there is so much money to lose if this fight wont take place and i cant see mayweather & co letting that happen

A load of rubbish from the Pacquiao camp takes him a few days to recover from a blood test get real.

I don't think Mayweather is the one scared here!

I find the whole situation a complete joke. How are people assuming Floyd wants to duck this fight, just by requesting Manny Pacquiao gives a blood test.

The reasons Roach gave were a complete joke, Manny Pacquiao is a world class PROFESSIONAL boxer so therefore he knows he will be tested for various reasons. Okay giving blood tests aint normally part of it, but how many of us having given blood tests for health reasons.

Sure some people react badly such as light headiness and after effects, but they usually clear up within minutes if not seconds.

I find the whole situation a joke. My assumption is Manny has something to hide. If some allegations were true that he may be taking performance enhanced substances, it is also well known some enhancers can only be detected in the blood and some in the urine and some in both.

So if we are heading for the biggest fight in the history of boxing, I think it would make sense that Floyd who remember has the most to lose requests both boxers go through all the testing to ensure no one has an unfair advantage.

Remember whatever he asks of Manny, he would have to do himself so where on earth is the problem?

Thats my two cents worth anyway.

Any opinions Gargamel?

A load of rubbish from the Pacquiao camp takes him a few days to recover from a blood test get real.

I don't think Mayweather is the one scared here!

i completely agree, what a crock of shit .....

Pacquiao has agreed to a test asap after the fight.

Roach said pac is scared of needles though??? He's got loads of tatts, weird.

Just think it's all mind games at the moment.

@imranarsool. Tests are normal just not so close to the fight. Pac has never failed one and because of his extreme fitness it could really affect him. Lets hope they sort this bullshit and put pen to paper soon.

Last edited:
Lets hope its all mind games and hype. I was almost looking forward to paying vermin for this epic fight. :Clap:

damn nooo it cant be off!!

ive waited too long already for this.

its hard to decide what to believe though, i have thought all along mayweather didnt want this fight. we'll have to see...

My assumption is Manny has something to hide.

imranrasool i think you have a point. At the end of the day manny doesn't want mayweather dictating anything which is a fair point, but if if manny gives a blood test then at the same time so should mayweather.

It maybe a situation were pride is gettin the better of manny but if mayweather has to go through the exact same process whats the problem???

As always with sport, if a contender, athlete, whatever refuses or is against these type of tests then it always looks suspect. Its sad but thats got to be expected from these top sportsman.

Freddy Roaches other fighters may come under the spot light if manny refuses this cos if there is somethin goin on, then he would be aware.

I hope there is nothing suspect but when your trying to be the best you take shortcuts and also do anything to get there. That is not everyone obviously but we don't know these people personally so who can say for sure about anyone.....???

Thats my novel anyway....lol...THE END!

Hopefully it's all bullshit to create even more hype around the fight, otherwise, I've got to question the Pacquiao camp, just seems like a massive over reaction to me if it's real.

Can't believe some people giving Mayweather the blame for fook sake a professional boxer is being a pussy about a blood test tell you what give him a lolly pop like they do with little kids then he might accept it then.

its all mind games.

manny is happy to do it by the comission rules and has stated that, mayweather wants all the cards to be to his advantage so he wants extra blood testing done (WADA regulations).

why shud they change the way its been in all fights previously? >>> so that mayweahter can play mind games and feel more comfortable about protecting his unbeaten record

not that he needs to coz he shud win anyway

its all mind games.

manny is happy to do it by the comission rules and has stated that, mayweather wants all the cards to be to his advantage so he wants extra blood testing done (WADA regulations).

why shud they change the way its been in all fights previously? >>> so that mayweahter can play mind games and feel more comfortable about protecting his unbeaten record

not that he needs to coz he shud win anyway

spot on mate

pacquiao camp are saying that they will follow the comission rules, which is the norm

mayweather camp want to change the rules for this fight and want to bring in extra blood testing

so which camp is moving the goalposts????

Manny is more than happy to do it by the rules that have always applied to Boxing, Mayweather is the one who wants to change it to his liking...why should Manny agree to that?
and Manny has said he will take a blood test straight after the fight, so if he has taken illegal substances the win will go to Mayweather.

Mayweather wants it his way without compromise. So tell me who is the one going out of his way to get out of the fight?

also in my opinion the fight will go ahead and i hope Manny decks Manweather hard

Last edited:
Mayweather wants it his way without compromise. So tell me who is the one going out of his way to get out of the fight

Asking someone to give a blood test is hardly a way out of a fight mate, if he wanted that he couldve asked some silly demands in way of the purse cutting and venue etc etc.

I'm not sure why everyone is finding it hard to understand, this will be the biggest fight in the history of boxing and at the end of the day Mayweather has the most to lose, the biggest thing probably being his pride then his unbeaten record.

As an avid boxing fan I still find this fight hard to call, but one thing I do know is bout men have the ability to beat the other.

It is well documented that new growth hormones and banned substances which help with muscle recovery cannot be detected in urine test. Furthermore, this drugs can easily be flushed out after use leaving no trace if done properly.

Therefore a fight of this magnitude warrants new testing procedures such as random testing as well as blood testing, and whatever Mayweather is requesting he will be subjected to the same so what really is the issue here.

I heard very poor excuses from Mannys camp over the past week, at the end of the day he is a professional boxer who physically hurts people in the ring and sees blood extracted by force usually by himself on a regular basis. So providing a blood test should be routine. Like someone suggested, I'm sure he'll get a lollipop at the end of it.

this is becoming a bit of a joke would he not be better off taking the blood sample etc prove to Mayweather he ain't doing any thing wrong and then afterwards do what he wants if he feels he needs to sue him!

I think with every passing day the chances of these two fighting are decreasing what a shame

Back