fking ARGOS or been ARGOOSED !

Rs2k_Rider

DW's Resident Medic
Reaction score
right, long read warning lol

the story is..!

got a washing machine back in November 2007, machine was damaged by there driver... so got a replacement, this one turned up damaged.. 3rd machine, turned up damaged.. got a 4th one, was damaged.. got a small amount of money back (£25 i think) to keep this one.. 01/01/08 this machine breaks... had to wait 2-3 weeks for a new machine !

heres the letter i sent them:

23 January 2008
Reference: Order Number 77******
Customer Service Manage
489-499 Avebury Boulevard,
Milton Keynes,
MK9 2NW.

Dear Customer Service Manager,

SUBJECT: COMPLAINT

I have to write this letter with great regret, I feel I have no other choice now. I purchased a washing machine from your company in November 2007, the washing machine turned up on the correct day but much earlier than our allotted delivery time slot of 12-3 I believe. The delivery driver left the machine with my disabled next-door neighbour completely blocking her hallway.

When I returned from shopping at about 1030 on the day of delivery I had a card in the letterbox saying the machine was next door. I knocked to find the machine blocking her hall way as above, I then had to call your customer service number at excessive cost to me as I only have a pay as you go phone; to get your driver back to move the machine to my property. I could not move the machine as I have a back problem resulting from shattering 2 vertebras in a car accident in 2002.

Upon the driver returning his first words were “if you had answered your f**king phone you would of known we were here”, Firstly this is totally unacceptable and quite frankly rude. To which I replied, “the number you have is my brothers, who will be here for 12 to let you in had you got here when you were supposed to”. Your driver then said “do you want this f**king machine moved or not”, He then grabbed the machine by the packaging straps very aggressively and banged the machine off a radiator and the staircase post. When I unpacked the machine, I found it to be damaged (dented) that in my opinion was caused by your drivers neglect to my property.

On calling the customer service line again, costing me more money. A replacement machine was arranged for about 2-3 days later, this machine also turned up damaged. I then had to call in again, yet more cost to me (at this point had cost me £25 in call time credit) to arrange delivery of yet another machine. This machine was delivered and on first inspection looked ok, then I looked closer and found the plastic panel where the control buttons are on the front to be cracked. I called customer services again and was advised that you had no more of the model I have, and could not replace it. In the end after much discussion about different machines, I kept this machine and was given a £25 refund by cheque to compensate for a damaged machine.

On 1st January 2008, this machine broke; one of the plastic tumblers inside the drum broke off from the drum. This time, due to having no phone credit I emailed your company (your Ref: ARG2580626X) on the 02/01/2008. I received a reply on 04/01/2008 telling me that this machine was over 30 days old and that an engineer would have to come out and then I would have to wait another 7 days for a report, Now im pretty sure that this final machine was not outside the 30 day period so the information was wrong. Furthermore, I had asked for a manager to contact me on my phone as I had no way to call your company in the first email; of which im still waiting for to date.

I then replied to this email on the same day, I then did not receive a reply until 13/01/2008, which I find totally unacceptable (ref ARG2601934X). This reply again, told me to call in to arrange a replacement this time; even though I had already told your company that I have no way to call in. I did call in, and arrange for another new machine. This machine was delivered on 21/01/2008, a whole 19 days since I had contacted your company.

The delivery time agreed on the phone was between 0700-0900; we waited in until 0930 but had to leave to go to college. The driver called me at 0950 to say that he was on his way, when told they should have been there before 0900 he then proceeded to argue with me that it was not possible I was told that. I then terminated the call; luckily my brother has a key for my property and come over to take delivery.
On inspection of this machine everything looks ok im pleased to say.

Now this has cost me unacceptable costs from using a launderette and transport costs to and from the launderette, also damage to some of my clothing from the machine when it broke.

I will break down what costs we have incurred due to this delay and unreliable goods.

Launderette costs.

Each wash load costs £4.00 x 2 loads a day = £8 per day.
Each drying load costs £0.50p per load (half load of washer) x 4 = £2 per day.
Transport by bus £1 each x 2 each way = £2 x 2 for return = £4 per day

Total = £14 per day extra costs.

We had to do this for a total of 18 days (Machine broke on 01/01/2008, we went to the launderette on 03/01/2008 up to 21/01/2008 a total of 18 days)

£14 per day total costs x 18 days = £252.

This total is not including the phone credit I have used to contact your company about problems that should not of happened, Had the delivery driver for the first machine done his job correctly then its very likely my machine would not of been damaged so all these other problems would not of occurred.

I feel we should be compensated the extra costs we have had to pay out due to gross incompetence of Argos in this instance. We are very sad that a company so large and well known as Argos has treated us in this manor when we spent our money with you.

We feel very very let down and will think long and hard before we purchase anything from Argos in the future.

Sincerely,

Received this today of the cheeky fookers....

Thank you for you recent letter.

I was very concerned to learn of the difficulties that you have experienced with out delivery personnel. On behlaf of Argos transport department I would like to take this opportunity to express my sincere apologies for any distress this incident has caused.

Our drivers are trained to privide a consistently high level of customer service and if we receive any information to the contrary, we consider it to be extremely serious...bla bla bla...

In light of the current situation I can offer gift vouchers to the value of £20.00 as a gesture of goodwill. Any increase on this amount would have to be fully substantiated with relevant supporting documentation detailing any financial losses incurred, forwarded to the address below..

Now since when do unmanned launderette washing machines and dryers give receipts ? since when do you get a receipt on a bus when you use your oyster card credit ?

what to do now peeps ?

Well I had a similiar experience with Zanussi, but I was warned by a mate so I used a launderette which washed & dried the clothes and provided a receipt . Only to be compensated for 50% as they claimed the drying would not be compensated. You live and learn.

I hate argos - filled with fookers that have failed their woolworths exams. I never accept a delivery from a driver that has damaged the goods in front of me - it pisses them off but more importantly it means it never becomes your problem.

Sadly though in your case I think its a case of like it or lump it, you have no legal recourse to take with them. You will probably find that your guarantee runs from your original delivery date as the other units would have been claimed as a "repair" under your 12 month gtee :(

I hate argos - filled with fookers that have failed their woolworths exams. I never accept a delivery from a driver that has damaged the goods in front of me - it pisses them off but more importantly it means it never becomes your problem.

Sadly though in your case I think its a case of like it or lump it, you have no legal recourse to take with them. You will probably find that your guarantee runs from your original delivery date as the other units would have been claimed as a "repair" under your 12 month gtee :(

No wasnt changed under the 12 month gtee mate.. they were all changed under the 30 day satisfaction guarantee. Also didnt know the machine was damaged as it was still packaged.

Maybe you can threaten to take it to watchdog/trading standards.

think i will go to the local launderette and have a word :)

No wasnt changed under the 12 month gtee mate.. they were all changed under the 30 day satisfaction guarantee. Also didnt know the machine was damaged as it was still packaged.

think i will go to the local launderette and have a word :)

Ok - i see, your probably right about the laundrette route.

shit and shabby service is all anyone expects nowadays i`m afraid. people just don`t seem to care, if he`d have sworn at me i would of told him to take it away and inform his employers. sound like a right grumpy git to be honest.

I must say that its not the company its the employees.. I had a similar problem with a delivery driver.. cut the long story short.. they offered me £30 as a gesture of goodwill.. I said I was not accepting it and that Im going to trading standards.. as the fridge I bought broke, they said it was fixed but the engineers came and did nothing..

so at the end I got a brand new replacement and £50 compensation..

Back