First order for pet dog cloning

DiamondGeezer

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
A South Korean company says it has taken its first order for the cloning of a pet dog.

A woman from the United States wants her dead pitbull terrier - called Booger - re-created.

RNL Bio is charging the woman, from California, $150,000 (£76,000) to clone the pitbull using tissue extracted from its ear before it died.

The work will be carried out by a team from Seoul National University, where the first dog was cloned in 2005.

Commercial cloning

RNL Bio says this is the first time a dog will have been cloned commercially.

"There are many people who want to clone their pet dogs in Western countries even at this high price," company chief executive, Ra Jeong-chan, told the Korea Times.

The cost of cloning a dog may come down to less than $50,000
Cho Seong-Ryul, RNL Bio

The firm is expecting hundreds more orders for pets over the next few years and also plans to clone dogs trained to sniff out bombs or drugs.

One out of every four surrogate mother dogs produces puppies, according to RNL Bio's marketing director, Cho Seong-ryul.

"The cost of cloning a dog may come down to less than $50,000 as cloning is becoming an industry," he said.

Dog attack

The pitbull's owner, Bernann McKunney, gave the company ear tissue, which an American biotech firm preserved before the animal died 18 months ago.

Snuppy, left, with surrogate mother
An Afghan hound was the first dog cloned by the SNU team

She is said to have been particularly attached to the dog, after it saved her life when another dog attacked her and bit off her arm.

The university's team is led by Professor Lee Byeong-chun, who was previously in a team headed by the disgraced stem cell scientist, Hwang Woo-suk.

Mr Hwang's results on cloning human stem cells, initially hailed as a breakthrough, were found to have been falsified and he is now on trial charged with embezzlement and fake research.

But the team did succeed in creating the world's first cloned dog two years ago - an Afghan hound named Snuppy.

They continued with the programme, cloning more dogs and also producing clones of Korean grey wolves.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7246380.stm

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/22/sniffer_dog_clones/

Last edited:
Does she not understand that even if the dog turns out to be 100% identical, it wont know her or have the same nature ?

£76:000 could be used to help a feckin HUMAN !!

Does she not understand that even if the dog turns out to be 100% identical, it wont know her or have the same nature ?

£76:000 could be used to help a feckin HUMAN !!
I would have thought it would have same personality if its brought up in same conditions ?>

Might seem a scandalous waste of money, but i'd clone my dog if I could afford it.

Though whether it would be good to clone his smell would be another thing.

I would have thought it would have same personality if its brought up in same conditions ?>

Thats like saying twins always have the same nature ?, and lets face it they are brought up in the same place at the same time and turn out very different some times so my opinion is still no.

I don't think cloning should be used for things like this, it's just not right.....

Cloning a heart, for e.g., for someone who's on deaths door and needs it to save their life then yes.

But cloning a pet is only going to leave you upset as it'll never be the same no matter what.

Still if you've got that kinda money to blow then I don't think they'll care either way. It's most likely just a statement to them that they can and they will.....

:)

Clonnig should stop at modems and big breasted blonds. :)

@ FUBAR69, I reckon there would be a fair chance that the dog would have a similar nature to the original.

Clonnig should stop at modems and big breasted blonds. :)

@ FUBAR69, I reckon there would be a fair chance that the dog would have a similar nature to the original.

Can't see how chum, it will be brought up in a different time with people who might be the same, but time changes everyone. It will have different experiences and fears.

Some might say it will have the same DNA but twins can have identical DNA, one can be a cherub while the other can be an absolute twat.

Trust me I know the twins that I am refereing too !!! lol

Back