Finally a decent, easy multiplatform DLNA server that works!

hawkish

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have waited for a long time for the DLNA promises of TVs and Bluray players to come into fruition but due to the complications and restrictions of the DLNA clients in home electricals it has always been a long and frustrating process.

The problem is basic. The concept of the DLNA standard boasted easy connection of devices on your network to share media. Sadly the reality was that the clients needed to decode all of the codecs in order for it to work and the codecs that were included in the kit were crap, usually only mpeg2 and mp3 decoding with jpegs taking an age to load.

The solution is to transcode the information so that the client is tricked into playing it, with so many clients supporting so few and different codecs the task is often too hard and results unreliable.

Sony, for example is ironically the founder of the dlna standard and one of the most stubborn to get working. Untill now a customised version of a programme called "fuppes" worked with them unreliability. There was also some success with "coherence" and "minidlna"

For the last few nights I have had 100% success with a programme called "tvmobili". Its immediate to configure and worked instantly with my sony BDPS370 blu ray player. Enabling me to stream divx, mkv and pictures reliably from my laptop and etrayz NAS drive.

It also works with philips and panasonic kit (tested by me). The only slowdown was on an mkv with a very fast scene but it recovered and continued to play. Its still in beta but still very impressive indeed.

PS3mediaserver works also, I've set it up with the PS3, a Samsung blu-ray player and a Samsung tv. I also know it works with the Xbox360.

I've have heard (but not tested) it works with Panasonic kit and according to their forums other DNLA equiped hardware.

I've been using it for years and it stream 1080p blu-ray MKV files flawlessly, as well as full blu-ray M2TS files (you need a gigabit network due to high bandwidth though).

720p MKV files start instantly and 1080p MKV files start after 2 or 3 seconds.

You can also play DVD ISO's or Video_TS folders.

You can use it for video, music (MP3 FLAC or DTS 5.1 surroundsound audio WAV files), Internet radio, Internet IPTV, youtube plus many other video sites.

It works with NAS drives, mapped drives and USB external drives.

I have tried tons of alternatives and this beats them all.

EDIT: Just tried Tmobli, like the interface, but can't get it to play MKV files.

EDIT: Just found out that tmowbli does indeed support MKV files, it just can't send them to the PS3 or other Sony products.

Last edited:
Mezzmo has been the best thing i have found

I tried Mezzmo but I don't want to make a library I just want a program that watches folders and makes no library, like ps3mediaserver. Also I want it free like ps3mediaserver. if you make a library it depends on all the tags of your music collection being correct. Ps3mediaserver just shows you the filenames of the video/music files.

Mezzmo couldn't handle my collection of over 6500 albums, nether could Tversity.

Back