Fake or real R4

from a few posts above there is talk about wanting disk included with the r4's they dont make them with them any more as they have having trouble getting past customs

I bought a R4 from a site that i found on here in the ds section for cheap R4's.
It came and the packaging looks real but it does not looks real when i campared it to the one i purchased last year.
I have googled and youtubed to try and find if it is but just get stuck with people asking the same questions.
The one i think is fake does not have a a sring system for the micro sd card, you just push it in and it also does not have a curve at the top it is flush.
when i googled looking for original r4 images that image seem to come up. Have the R4 team changed the design slightly. When i youtubed it i found that you get fakes but there are easy to tell they are fake buy taking of the sticker and you can see a chip behind it. mines does not have a chip, its just plastic. i have also tried 1.18 firmware and it works but did not use it long enough just incase i bricked it (been reading about this so didnt want it to happen).

If it is fake im not bothered but i dont want to put on 1.18 firmware and then it bricks. The reason i want that firmware is because i have noticed some games i have downloaded do not work with the 1.15 firmware i have on my original card from last year.

Thanks for any replies.

how do you tell???

your safe u wont get your cartridge bricked, and all r4ds cartridges you buy now are fake

As stated in the post above most of the R4s on the Net are fakes now. The R4 crew were sued and don't appear to be supporting the carts now. Clickshop claim to sell the real units as well as a fake SDHC version.

R4 cards were modified to remove the spring system and had two bevel notches put in to help handle the card.

As to fakes:
- Can it take more than a 2GB card?
- does the box/card say V2, III, Pro etc?
- Is the firmware greater than 1.18?
- can you feel any lumps under the label (some fakes the chip protrudes)?

If yes it will be a fake

As indicated earlier in this thread avoid N5s they have turned many a DS into a brick!

Back