iMac External drive not being read on mac or pc - possible power issue or drive dead

skinz

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
My work colleague has an external drive that he uses on his Mac. Now the drive will not read when he uses it on the Mac. The external drive lights up and you can hear hard drive spin up but it sounds slow.
Then he tried on 2 laptops and a Mac mini – no lights showed up

Then this morning I plugged it into my work pc and the drive was found the drivers installed but can not see the drive in my computer. Then I opened device manager – the drive is there and its shows as working properly.

The lead being used is an old style USB with 2 plugs for extra power – I am thinking it is this. I changed the lead for my tom tom lead with a single usb on it. The drive lights up but does not show up even in device manager so I am thinking maybe it needs another lead that has 2 usb ports for the extra power.
Also is there any software for the Mac to recover deleted file from the recycle bin like recover for the PC – as he transferred all data from the Mac to external and deleted it on the Mac. So if he can not recover the external hopefully he can get something back from the Mac

Any ideas please

Thanks for looking

Skinz

thanks for the reply mate but would I atleast see a drive letter on a pc then or not

I have told him to download and try this :)

Last edited:
usually you can see the drive is working in a pc, but you'll not be able to see anything on it, unless you have a proggy like macdrive running on your pc.

Thanks mate - Just got it working now. Swapped the lead over for a new one and downloaded Macdrive. Saw the drive straight away and am copying the most important files right now.

Wish I could press the thanks button twice (once from me for pointing me in the right direction and one from my mate who has been scre@@ng since the first week of December :THANKS:

:Clap::Clap::Clap::Clap::Clap:

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Just to clarify - Device Manager will see the drive however in My Computer you will not see a Drive letter

Back