Exos...is not a happy bunny today!

Exos

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Totally f***ing P****d off today....

My wonderful employer has just given me my schedule for the year.......

In Wolverhampton!!!! Effin 180 Mile round trip and 2 hours+ each way in the car....talk about a stupid commute; and what makes it worse? well there are programmes of work less than 30 minutes from where I live, one of them is around the corner.....just amazes me and at the same time makes absofu**inglutely no sense what so ever!!!

I get travel expenses, but its 18p a mile! but even that isn't the point I never ever actually signed up for that amount of travel.

18p a mile - ****. Is it your vehicle and your fuel? Taxman allows you 40p a mile up to 10,000 miles per year. Over that it goes down. If you're going to be doing it regular it might be worth you filling in a tax return and claiming the difference. Even if you are PAYE you can still claim personal use of your car on employers business, but you will only be able to claim the difference between what he pays you and what they allow so 22p a mile.

Aye I know. I get a car allowance, hence the 18p, but when I took the role (no interview) the car allowance was to make up salary as opposed to an actual allowance because i transitioned internally. I also took it on the basis i would be working North West locally. My P87 for 2010-11 was about £950, this April it will be in the region of £2,500 (already)

It's not so much that actual cost, rather the place and distance...the how, and expectations.

dont get me started on crap like this. the job i spent a month discussing before actually starting, installing satellite systems locally to me, get given 25 jobs on a friday, to be booked in by myself, and completed before the following friday, if i finish them all by wednesday, all good

the job i do

get given the work the night before, cover an area thats anywhere between aberystwyth and bournemouth, mostly service calls (which i fking hate) and some days im on the road for 7 hours

i love the 'type' of work that i do, but i fkin hate my job, as my job is not the type of work that i love doing, which is installing. add to that the fact im constantly 'cleaning up' behind other peoples fook ups

i should be in work now, but dont give a sh!t any more :)

i love the 'type' of work that i do, but i fkin hate my job, as my job is not the type of work that i love doing, which is installing. add to that the fact im constantly 'cleaning up' behind other peoples fook ups

Sound's familiar.

Don't get me wrong I've never had as much flexibility as I have before and I get to work from home quite a bit at times, but it isn't consistent, and I like/enjoy the stability of going into the same office every day. The other consideration is that my previous role I lived 15 minutes away from my office, I could go in for 9, come home at 5 ish and just switch off. For effectively the same money; when I do need to go to site I'm doing 90+ miles per day in pain in the arse traffic (that can take me about an hour and a half+ to get to sites) and sometimes not finishing until very late then having to drive back.

Working from home may also sound great but it doesn't work out how you think, because you just don't have that mechanism to switch off and I've sat working until 1am before now, even done Saturday or Sunday for a few hours at a time because I needed to get work complete for the following Monday (which I don't get paid for either)

The other aspect is scope creep with my role, as I'm feeling like a general dogs body. I'm supposed to do solution design but I'm getting put into situations to troubleshoot other peoples issues, or perform tasks that are completely out of my remit.

Just frustrates me and makes me really despondent.

Last edited:
heres a good example of what i have to go through most days

i have one job today, MUST be first call, just over an hour from me, to get there, i have to drive past 2 other jobs that will take me 35 mins to get to in a different valley, one of those has been told after 10:30, then i have another one thats about an hour from me in the other direction that must be after 3:30

if i do the jobs the office way, im doing nearly 5 hours driving, and will be sat in the van for about 3-4 hours waiting for the last job

so ill leave home at 10, go to the 2 jobs that are together, where ones booked for after 10:30, then down to cardiff for the 'must be first call' job, which ill finish by about half 12, ill then come home for an hour and leave home at about 2:45 to get to the half 3 job, and be back home just before 5

in total ill be sat round for just over an hour, driving for about 4 hours, and only actually working for about an hour

id much rather be installing for 6 hours

Just like my job ( traffic management ).

I go out and set up a nice job that's on for a month but moving down the A4 each night, rather than keeping me on it as its only 30 mins from my house I now need to drive to yard 1hr 15m, pick up my 18t lorry, drive back past my junction 1hr 30m put the job on then drive 1hr 30m back to yard ( past my home junction again ) to drop lorry off, then back home in my car

I got a job with a contractor fitting sky digital when it first started - after a local interview in my part of London where i was living at the time they sent me on the first wave of training courses in Edinburgh - then allocated a depot to actually start work - not the one that was 20 minutes away - no they allocated me to Twickenham which was a good hour an a half on a good day!! Then I was covering anywhere through Surrey, Kent up to almost Milton Keynes and anywhere between - at least 8 installs a day all to be done perfectly with phone extensions installed and cables fixed and half the time find that instead of the 2 up/2 down that could be done in half an hour I was being sent to sprawling mansions where the dish must be mounted out of site on the west wing and the main TV was half a mile away oh and dont forget the magic eye that needed to be in the granny annexe!!

Good money at first though - had some poles made so i could leave existing brackets up and save on the drilling most of the time but they soon didnt like paying out so much and reduced the install pay pretty quickly!!

I think its the same everwhere - always has been and always will be - just now with jobs so scarce they take even more liberties!!

I got a job with a contractor fitting sky digital when it first started - after a local interview in my part of London where i was living at the time they sent me on the first wave of training courses in Edinburgh - !

ive not long started a job with a company doing a similer thing lol,
funnily enough they sent me on a two week training course in Engerland instead of a training centre, which is a 10minute drive from my house.
this meant i had to stay in a fookin hotel for 2 weeks...

wonder if its the same company lol

ive not long started a job with a company doing a similer thing lol,
funnily enough they sent me on a two week training course in Engerland instead of a training centre, which is a 10minute drive from my house.
this meant i had to stay in a fookin hotel for 2 weeks...

wonder if its the same company lol

Mine was Kelly's well known in the London area for contracting for Sky!!

when i worked directly for sky, my 'area' was about 2 and half hours from my house, but, as i was a specilist engineer, i could find myself anywhere in wales. it wasnt unusual for me to leave the house at 6:15, and get home at 11PM, and skys rota could see you doing this for 17 days with only one day off

i know the way sky allocates their work has changed since i worked for them, and from what ive heard, its now even worse.

i worked for a big contractor company fitting sky, and this was a good number, the yard was 10 mins away, all the work was within a 25 mile radius. id take 10 jobs in the morning, go back to the yard, take another 4 or 5, and be home for tea time, and raking the money in

untill sky found out i was working for them, i went to the yard one morning, to be told that there was no more work, would never be any more work, and that i had never done a single install for them. after talking with some jumped up scouser bell end in management of first line digital, it appeared that sky had told them, they lose me, or they lose the contract, thats when i set up on my own

up untill november just gone, if i fitted a sky system for a new customer, i either got £100 in cash after 60 days, or £120 'on account' after 72 hours, but sky has now changed their 'buddy scheme' and its all changed. the company i work for now has said that theyd give me £100 for each job i get them, but ive heard all this before from them and dont believe a word of it

you can earn good money fitting sky, but the majority of the companies who youll end up working for are the ones who make the big bucks, while its the engineers who get all the crap

Wait untill you get into Wolverhampton, Then you will be upset .

because myself and mense are going to mug you of all your money and goods, and we can get away with it as we know the area hehe come on down :)

So what type of work do you do m8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IT Solution Design & Delivery (Networks, Servers, Desktop migrations etc etc..)

Spent yesterday there.....and today....and back again on Monday

up at anytime between 5:45 - 6:15am, left house at 6:30am, got there about 8:30am for an 08:45 meeting.....

Took me 2.5 hours yesterday to get back because of traffic and about 2hr 15 today because slow traffic and fog near knutsford!!??(on a clear sunny day at 4pm in the afternoon???)

Hate the drive, hate the place, cant stand the early start....and is only adding to a job I'm really beginning to loath so safe to say what with some unsavory comments about "2 hours being a normal travel to work" and expectations that the 4 hours in a car is in addition to my 8 hour day, I am mightily ****ED off.

What's worse is my Friday evening is lost because i spent most of it asleep on the sofa, and I spend a good hour the night before sorting things out so i don't have to in the morning...

*sigh*

Back