Exchange 2003

sorry yes, i set the pop accounts up in each desktops outlook

Okay, first thing to do is not change anything right now. Check if there's any SMTP configuration in Outlook on the desktop - if so it's bypassing Exchange. Also check if popcon (on Exchange) is configured (and how) as it could be conflicting. For example, POP3 only permits one connection at a time so if Exchange tries to connect and Outlook is already connected then the Exchange connection fails - the first connected will usually delete the stored mail.

Check this page in Outlook:

outlook.png

It's the Outgoing Mail bit that's interesting...

if you ,eam in the pop accounts ive added, its set to my smtp on my hosting

Check your Outlook desktop configurations because if they still have a reference to Exchange then the two may conflict. If they don't then you may as well shut Exchange down as it's doing nothing!

Basic config should be:

1 - Outlook connects to Exchange only (unless there are other external domains that Exchange can't handle)
2 - Exchange collects e-mail using popcon (POP3 connector) - see 4
3 - Exchange delivers mail using SMTP Connector either by relay or direct (using DNS)
4 - OR, incoming mail is direct to Exchange but DNS needs an A record and an MX record to your static IP

I know, technical bollocks, sorry - I can help sort it though :)

Check your Outlook desktop configurations because if they still have a reference to Exchange then the two may conflict. If they don't then you may as well shut Exchange down as it's doing nothing!

Basic config should be:

1 - Outlook connects to Exchange only (unless there are other external domains that Exchange can't handle)
2 - Exchange collects e-mail using popcon (POP3 connector) - see 4
3 - Exchange delivers mail using SMTP Connector either by relay or direct (using DNS)
4 - OR, incoming mail is direct to Exchange but DNS needs an A record and an MX record to your static IP

I know, technical bollocks, sorry - I can help sort it though :)

Just to give you the heads up HH. The bounces he's experiencing are due to being black listed. There is no SPF for this domain and no rdns, Ive offered my services to connect as I think this will be the only way to resolve the problem (please don't take offence Busta as I think you said yourself this isn't your field of expertise?)

Anyway we shall see...

Thanks for the advice, as it stands exchange is doing nothing more than being used as a shared calendar and address book, problem is if I remove it, I lose all the mailboxes and their folders. Ideally I'd like to swap my pop accounts onto exchange but don't know where to start.

Just found this on the business BT forum....

I would check with the support helpdesk to see if your domain has been migrated to the Office 365 platform.

If it has, the new smarthost setting are as follows:

smtp.outlook.com

Port 587

SSL has to be enabled

@Busta didn't you say you've been migrated to Office 365?

Just found this on the business BT forum....

I would check with the support helpdesk to see if your domain has been migrated to the Office 365 platform.

If it has, the new smarthost setting are as follows:

smtp.outlook.com

Port 587

SSL has to be enabled

@Busta didn't you say you've been migrated to Office 365?

I went through all that process back in the day with Bt, and outlook 2003 doesn't have ssl

@Busta_Gonad @himher
Ive been investigating further (don't tell my boss as Im suppose to be looking after our network not someone else's :p) Anyway... So when you say Office 365 is not compatible with SBS2003 this is incorrect. What in fact has happened is BT have moved away from smart hosts to sending email direct. What needs to be done is you need to sort out rdns with BT so your static IP resolves to something like mail.domainname.com and have this in your server configuration receive connector. You then need to create an SPF record as per here Sender ID Framework SPF Record Wizard and add it to your DNS records. You then need to make a backup of the clients PST files (export their mail) as I suspect your using pst rather than exchange as per your message previous. Once you've done that revert the clients back to exchange (within outlook) open the pst and copy the mail back into their exchange folders and bobs your uncle fannys your aunt - oh and get your domain off the blacklist by going to mxtool box putting in your details and follow the rules.

As offered I can help you do this but not using PM\forum on DW as its a royal pain in the backside to keep coming back (no offence DW admins etc) just makes more sense :)

Last edited by a moderator:
But the domain is no longer with BT it's with my hosting (heartinternet) now?

Its not so much the domain you need to think about here its the method to which your sending out email. I wont get all technical here as you'll probably fall asleep... Exchange needs some method to send the email on behalf of the clients you can send direct from exchange or via a smart host (obviously both methods using your internet connect irrespective of your dns\domain hosting company). So in order to do this the method needs to be both secure and the recipient needs to know that the sender is who they say they are <-- Im starting to go all technical so I'll stop.

Cut a long story short the email which your exchange server is sending needs some method of getting it out BT have stopped smart hosts (based on their website and the fact the have moved to Office 365) and so because your only option now (because BT provide your internet connect) is to send direct (or you can use the Office 365 method but that's a different story all together) we need to configure your exchange server to send direct and setup the necessaries so when you send email people know the mail is from who it says its from else you'll be blacklisted - as you are now.

@shabbaranks - I'll leave you to it M8 (too many cooks etc.). You seem to have it all well in hand and you can always PM if there's anything I can assist with :)

Thanks @Him Her your input is greatly received.
@shabbaranks I've got teamviewer setup remote on the server, I don't use IM really, and I'm not at my desktop to use Skype. This could be fiddled with over the weekend if it helps you time wise?

My ideal repair for all this would be to have my pop accounts (heartinternet) running through the. Exchange server :) is that feasible??

Funny you should say that I almost penned the same thing :) - we'd make a good team! Anyway yeah hopefully we'll get it sorted :)

Thanks @Him Her your input is greatly received.
@shabbaranks I've got teamviewer setup remote on the server, I don't use IM really, and I'm not at my desktop to use Skype. This could be fiddled with over the weekend if it helps you time wise?

My ideal repair for all this would be to have my pop accounts (heartinternet) running through the. Exchange server :) is that feasible??

Yeah weekend or tomorrow evening is fine with me, before we start you'll have to backup the pst's from the clients just so we've got everything covered. Also you'll need to contact BT asking for rdns on your external IP [email protected].

And we'll sort the rest, the end result will be pop email from your hosting company (heart) and send outward direct from exchange (obviously via your Outlook client). Sound ok with you?

A quick update to my situation, @shabbaranks gave up a lot of time to remote on to this server and sort all this out for me. He's the man, owe you big time matey ;)

This community amazes me time and time again :)

Pleasure mate glad all is hunky dory :)

Back