Exchange 2003

Busta_Gonad

Inactive User
Reaction score
I run a network for a small business, and need some help from one of the hardcore geeks :)

It was running exchange 2003 through bt for its email accounts, bt has messed their service about (office 365, not really compatible with sbs 2003 and such, so ive set up pop accounts on my hosting for each account they have here, and added them to their outlook, all is okay (few niggles, nothing serious), exchange backs up in the opposite direction now, my only issue is when trying to send attachments they are getting bounced back with a 550 not permitted error.

I'm assuming this is something to do with exchange and dns, just really stuck on which way to go with it, any ideas?

@Geeks

When sending - are you relaying or sending directly? If relaying try sending directly and see if you still get a 550 bounce. Does the bounce happen regardless of who you are sending to (have you tried sending to a personal gmail account or something?). Also are you sure its attachment related as opposed to sending out generally?

i thought id narrowed it down to having the exchange set up as default account, once i changed to the pop accounts as default it removed the 550 errors i was getting.

nt sure whether its relaying or direct, and with atacchments its been tried to my personal gmail, still gets bounced back.

Just to confirm as I think there might be some confusion here - you are using the pop connector to receive the mail and then sending it direct from exchange via a smart host or something?

If you want to IM me - PM me your (Im using Skype formally MSN) address and we can work it out :)

Can you paste the diagnostic info on here or PM it? Just censor out any business\domain info on it first though ;)

Yeah the bounce or header info that you'll find within the email. As it might give a good description of what exactly is happening.

Would need a bit more info on the config M8. The popcon in Exchange 2003 is rather basic but it collects inbound e-mail from external mailboxes and delivers to internal Exchange mailboxes. It has nothing to do with outbound mail.

You said you added pop to Outlook but that's per user, popcon is server-based and not the same thing? You need to look at the SMTP configuration. First, is it in Outlook or on Exchange? If it's in Outlook then you need to be working towards removing this and leaving Exchange to deal with it. Check the Exchange SMTP connector, where is it delivering too? Normally it would be either the ISP relay or direct.

The bounce-back message would be useful as would the Exchange SMTP config.

the bounce back mail is

"The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

*******@*******.co.uk on 03/07/2013 09:15

There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator.

<**********.co.uk #5 .5.0 smtp;550 Not permitted >"

Not BT Connect? lol Check the Exchange SMTP connector, what is it trying to connect to? Open to the Internet or using BT as a relay? BT Connect doesn't actually say but it would need authentication to relay properly. If you chose to deliver direct you could have issues with SPF and reverse-DNS. Do you have access to DNS records for the domain?

Not BT Connect? lol Check the Exchange SMTP connector, what is it trying to connect to? Open to the Internet or using BT as a relay? BT Connect doesn't actually say but it would need authentication to relay properly. If you chose to deliver direct you could have issues with SPF and reverse-DNS. Do you have access to DNS records for the domain?

Obviously making sure you have a static IP for your internet connection otherwise that could open another can of worms. I think the OP needs to provide a bit more info about the whole setup. As I said before Busta feel free to drop me a message with your IM details and I can talk you through the configuration.

Just out of interest do you know if it ever worked ok or has the problem occurred recently?

Obviously making sure you have a static IP for your internet connection otherwise that could open another can of worms. I think the OP needs to provide a bit more info about the whole setup. As I said before Busta feel free to drop me a message with your IM details and I can talk you through the configuration.

Just out of interest do you know if it ever worked ok or has the problem occurred recently?

Erm, SBS2003 worked on the principle that a static IP was not required? You would SMTP relay through the ISP and collect inbound using popcon. If you had a static IP then you would not use popcon but set up an A and MX record for direct delivery. Then you would add SPF and reverse-DNS to avoid SPAM moans from remote SMTP hosts.

On the 'more info' front - agreed :)

Erm, SBS2003 worked on the principle that a static IP was not required? You would SMTP relay through the ISP and collect inbound using popcon. If you had a static IP then you would not use popcon but set up an A and MX record for direct delivery. Then you would add SPF and reverse-DNS to avoid SPAM moans from remote SMTP hosts.

On the 'more info' front - agreed :)

I was thinking more along the lines of, if setting up direct email instead of smart host for rdns and spf. But anyway :)

@Him Her

yes it was set up originally with bt connect, yes i do have access to the DNS on the server.
@shabbaranks

yes its on a static IP set up by BT originally, yes it used to work fine, rigt up until the point that BT 'upgraded' m clients network, they swapped him to office 365, hes on SBS 2003 and office 2003, so its a ball ache to try to make them all compatible, so as i said ive set them all up with individual pop accounts on my hosting, which allows them to recieve mails, just seem to be issiues with the exchange as i assume its stil trying to conect to something.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Him Her

yes it was set up originally with bt connect, yes i do have access to the DNS on the server.
@shabbaranks

yes its on a static IP set up by BT originally, yes it used to work fine, rigt up until the point that BT 'upgraded' m clients network, they swapped him to office 365, hes on SBS 2003 and office 2003, so its a ball ache to try to make them all compatible, so as i said ive set them all up with individual pop accounts on my hosting, which allows them to recieve mails, just seem to be issiues with the exchange as i assume its stil trying to conect to something.

M8, we need to know HOW you set them up? In Outlook or on Exchange? Also, you need to check how Exchange connects - in Exchange System Manager look for this:

sbs2003.gif

It will tell us where Exchange is trying to connect to, you get to it from here:

sbsconn.gif

Also show this tab:

addspace.gif

Check your DNS panel supports MX records. Also, you could PM me the static IP and I'll do some standard tests - domain name would be helpful too. Send same to shabbaranks - first one there and all that :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back