excel file doing my head in

hatab

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
aaarrrrggggg

can anybody give me a clue what is going on.

i have a excel file on my server about 16MByte so reasonable size but not huge, when i try and open on my desktop pc, excel opens but after 20 seconds or so it goes to not responding.

other excel files all seem ok.
i can open this file on another pc in the house no problem
i can also copy this file from the server to my desktop then open the file with excel and then copy back to the server.

so its not an access issue or an extension associated with a program.

any light that can be shed would be gratefully received as this is driving me nuts

office version is 2003 with 2007 converter pack. (same as other pc and my notebook)

the only addins are the ones that are there by default and all are un-ticked

i do remember there were 2 updates to msoffice this month, just doing update on notebook now to see if they are culprits

mmmm cant edit post

thanks Daveleebond sorted :) bloody Microsoft update

installed on netbook and now get the same problem, just uninstalled on netbook and ok again

kb2501584 Microsoft Office file validation addin

genuine win 7
genuine office 2003
genuine server 2003

arrrrggggggghhhhh

it says in the kb article about know faults that they are looking at.......... what dipstick at MS is allowing an update to go out with known faults ?

its not like office 2003 is a "new" product another weeks programming effort would have been in order before causing havoc in the real world.

i suppose i should update to office 2010 or what ever is the latest but the Mrs doesn't like the menu layout so ive not bothered.

daveleebond:1970683 said:
there is a plugin for 2007/10 that gives you the ye olde office style menus, it a paid for thing but freely available on demonoid.

Cheers for that mate,new one on me :)

Back