Everton 2 - 0 Liverpool

janobi

Janet to us
VIP Member
Reaction score
_49539563_cahill_466x282reuters.jpg

Everton ensured John W. Henry's reign as Liverpool owner got off to the worst possible start as they emerged as comfortable winners of the Merseyside derby.

Henry and co-owner Tom Werner made a late decision to attend the 214th clash between the clubs after completing their £300m Anfield buy-out on Friday.

And there must have been times they wished they had stayed away from Goodison Park as Everton swept into an unassailable lead with a close-range first-half finish from Tim Cahill and a thunderous strike from Mikel Arteta just after the interval.

Liverpool improved on a thoroughly wretched opening 45 minutes in the second half, but failed to break down an Everton defence in which Sylvain Distin and Phil Jagielka were outstanding.

Fernando Torres was snuffed out for much of the game, but also starved of quality service. He had a late shot saved by Everton keeper Tim Howard, but if Boston Red Sox owner Henry wanted a graphic illustration of the scale of the task in front of him, he got it here.

And how Everton fans revelled in their victory in front of the new Anfield hierarchy as Goodison Park resounded to chants of "Going Down" at the final whistle as Liverpool remain rooted in the Premier League relegation zone.

For Everton boss David Moyes, it was a victory he desperately wanted after Liverpool did the Premier League double over his side last season.

Everton were lifted by Jagielka's swift recovery from the hamstring injury he sustained on England duty - while Liverpool boss Hodgson was able to call on Torres after the groin injury that forced him off early in the Anfield defeat against Blackpool.

And Everton exerted the early pressure as Liverpool struggled to find any rhythm, with both Jagielka and Distin wasteful after finding space in the penalty area.

Liverpool emerged from their subdued start to fashion their first opening after 23 minutes as Everton keeper Howard was forced to touch Torres' glancing header over the top.

Everton deserved a reward for their greater enterprise, and it came from a familiar derby source 16 minutes before the interval.

Seamus Coleman's dashing run down the right flank ended with a ball inside to Cahill, who lashed his finish high past keeper Pepe Reina at his near post.

Liverpool needed to increase the tempo after the break, instead it was Everton who were faster out of the blocks and they doubled their lead in spectacular fashion as Arteta picked up a loose ball 20 yards out and fired emphatically into the top corner.

Everton were happy to sit on their lead and threaten on the counter attack, with substitute Jermaine Beckford shooting just over.

Liverpool had plenty of the ball, but Everton kept their Mersey rivals at arm's length apart from the one last chance for Torres.

And as Liverpool trooped off in misery at the final, Hodgson cut a frustrated figure as his team failed to make any sort of good impression on the new men at the helm.

not a surprise result really... lpool are a poor team and with it being at goodison park, for me an everton win was the only outcome...

I thought the toffees would win today. They played well in 1st half but we played well in 2nd half but as I said before...no sense starting to play when you are 2-0 down.

Let the blues have their day...they don't often get a chance to brag...:proud:

@Janet.......................:ASSFLASH:

I thought the toffees would win today. They played well in 1st half but we played well in 2nd half but as I said before...no sense starting to play when you are 2-0 down.

Let the blues have their day...they don't often get a chance to brag...:proud:

@Janet.......................:ASSFLASH:

Played you off the pitch Jim. You look like relegation fodder after that mate. ;)

Played you off the pitch Jim. You look like relegation fodder after that mate. ;)

Not gonna happen.

But to amuse you I will play BUT what if it did.

If we went down then you lot would also go down...cos you will finish below us........:proud:

Not gonna happen.

But to amuse you I will play BUT what if it did.

If we went down then you lot would also go down...cos you will finish below us........:proud:

Not on todays performance you wont. But I think with a cash injection that will come in Janurary then you will be fine.

Relagation fodder i agree, something isnt right just like when it happened to us leeds.

The players are there the talent is there but theres something underlaying that will see them go down unless they can put right whatever it is thats screwing with them.

Leeds had a better team man for man than this current liverpool team and it happened to us.

Even your legend robbie "god" fowler said the exact same thing on sky sports today... Yes your legend saying the leeds team that went down was a better team than "this" liverpool team.

It happened to us so dont think for a second it wont or couldnt happen to you lot.

We went from champs league to chumps league in what seemed like a split second, we never thought it would or could happen so beware the "it'll never happen" suporters because it can and maybe will.

everton did not play good..liverpool were sh*te thats all.
wait till end of season and lets see who`s on top out of these 2 teams,
everton or liverpool?
i know were i would put my money.

NJ, you cannot say that Everton didnt play well. They out played you, yes Liverpool were bad, but to say Everton were poor is sour grapes imo.

Yes the season is a long one, and yes you will recover but we have done it before, and can do it again and finish above you.

I guess all the liverpool fans are enjoying a couple of nice bottles of sour grape wine. Im off to enjoy a great derby win for the bluenoses!

everton were cak, they just looked good on telly cos we played very very bad,
if we played good then everton would of looked much worse.

im not a bitter blue, im just disappointed with reds.

last season and this season weve been like the blue half of the redcicty sh*te i agree.

as for joe cole i said he`s a no no, not good enouh for the reds maybe you`s.
we need new strikers, just count cant on torres ffs liverpool sort it out.

sell the rejects to the blues.

Everyone got what they deserved.
I thought Everton would be on a hiding to nothing what with all the injuries and liverpool looking to get off to a good start for the new owner. Shocking by Liverpool no passion no idea no points.
Well done the toffees good solid performance and totally nullified the limited threat must be even more pleasing for the Evertonians to leave them joint bottom pmsfl. News gets worse and worse for liverpool as Carraghers signed a new contract this week :Clap:

If thats what you call a cak performance mate, I will take that every week from our team. You lot were playing like a 2nd division pub side mate. Couldnt string more than 2 passes together.

You could learn a lot from our team, passion, pride and playing for the fans. You have too many over paid, over rated individuals who cant/dont want to play in the Liverpool side.

If in Janurary things dont change, then you will lose your best players in Torres, Gerrard, Reina. And then the hard work will really start, you need to get your head out of the clouds, and realise that you have now become an average side.

ya see thats wat i mean, we made ya`s look like ya played good.
thanks for being honest janobi :)

and only 2-0 LMAO

There are only 2 teams in Liverpool mate. Everton and Everton's reserves. Enjoy the championship, where you can get beaten by blackpool at home again!

I have no problems saying we are an average team, it's hard and sad to say but there you go.

But you never played us off the park, you had a better 1st half than us but we totally controlled the 2nd half, we just had no end product.

67% ball possession away from home in a derby match, hardly think that was tanking us, but I will give you credit because you scored 2 goals more than we did and you did have a few injuries.

I stand by my assessment that we played well in 2nd half, I have ever faith we will be o.k

Can it happen...course it can...will it happen....NO.

Just for the record...I don't think Hodgson was the right choice but he was the man they picked so he will have my backing.

I hope Hodgson buys us Pienaar in January sales...:proud:

I agree the 2nd half you had much more possession, but possession in your own half aint going to hurt anyone. You had no thrust up front. Even ex player Jamie Redknapp said you were worse in the 2nd half, than you were 1st half. I know its hard to accept that your illustrious team are in trouble, but wake up and smell the coffee.

You need about 4 or 5 players to make you a top team again, and that aint going to happen overnight, with those added players you will have a good squad, thats if you can keep your current crop of stars.

yas can have Pienaar lol. its not the player's its moyes who gives them the praise to go out and do wot they done today.
i honestly thought liverpool would smack r arse's new owner's. and all that crap behind them.
there's just seems there's somthink just not right at liverpool at the moment .
and hope they do see a way out of this hole

of which am sure they will ....

@Janet...I don't need to wake up and smell the coffee m8, I have already said we are in trouble and an average team, we had more possession, more shots, your keeper made more saves. Please don't make more of your victory than what it was...you beat a bad Liverpool team.

Enjoy your victory, it will be a while before you can do it again...:proud:

@speedy...Yes it is indeed Moyes, but don't get carried away m8, he will be off as soon as some bigger actually notice him....I think that Man U may be his next club. If not Man U then some other club will make him an offer he can't refuse.

I have been saying all week that the toffees would do us because Moyes would have them pumped up, something we are lacking.

@Janet...I don't need to wake up and smell the coffee m8, I have already said we are in trouble and an average team, we had more possession, more shots, your keeper made more saves. Please don't make more of your victory than what it was...you beat a bad Liverpool team.

Enjoy your victory, it will be a while before you can do it again...:proud:

@speedy...Yes it is indeed Moyes, but don't get carried away m8, he will be off as soon as some bigger actually notice him....I think that Man U may be his next club. If not Man U then some other club will make him an offer he can't refuse.

I have been saying all week that the toffees would do us because Moyes would have them pumped up, something we are lacking.

@Jaffa, the coffee comment was meant as a generalised statement, and not directly at you mate. Your one of the better Liverpool fans who can accept that their team was 2nd best. You did indeed have all those things you have listed, but the stat that matters is the scoreline.

And I totally agree with the Moyes comments, a bigger club will eventually take him, probably Man Utd, but not for a few years I would think. There are big problems at anfield at present, the sooner that is accepted by the fans and club, then the quicker the club can get out of the mess its in. Personally I would rather see the mancs go down, than Liverpool. Today is a good day to be a blue, but it dont happen that often, so I have to enjoy it while I can.

jaffa;1835936 @speedy...Yes it is indeed Moyes said:
av all ways said thats his nxt team man u .....not for 1 min would i get away from that fact.we are now only a mediocer side ...must be the only everton supporter to say it lol..
think liverpool would love some 1 like moyes ..and think every liverpool supporter if honest would say the same ?

Back