Eurovox PVR opinions sought.

Goodold

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I’ve been looking at the Eurovox PVR and I’ve read a couple of reviews but now that the box has been out for a couple of months I was hoping to get the opinions of owners that have been using these boxes on a day to day basis and what they are like to live with and any reliability issues / any quirks etc – the kind of information you would only know if you had been using one regularly for a while.

I do have a few questions.

1). How many ( if any ) failed recordings have you had?

2). Can you add “padding” to recordings ( a few minutes to the start and end to allow for programmes starting late etc )?

3). Is the remote responsive? ( I’ve got a cheap DVD/DIVX player with an awful remote – you have to have it pointed at exactly the right angle and often have to press the button 2 or 3 times… ).

4). I’ve read various bits about the way Eurovox’s handle windscreen. Does this properly display 16:9 pictures – or is it at least acceptable?

5). Any other issues you care to mention?

I realise it’s not going to compare to a Sky+ / Virgin+ box but as long as it does what it says on the box ( so to speak ) I don’t think you can complain.

I suppose the only other thing is do you know if there any other PVRs on the horizon that might be worth waiting for?

Finally I’ve seen a few different websites selling the box and they all seem to be around the same price ( once you’ve added delivery etc ) so if anyone has any opinions on whether one place is more repeatable than another then I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your help.

I think that I'll take the fact that no one seems to have anything positive to say about this box as a sign!!

Thanks.

From a respected member of another forum

Eurovox Max V PVR Review

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been trialing the Eurovox Max V PVR for a while now, and here is my review of the product.
For a start on first look its appearance is no different to the latest eurovox max v, until
you look at the rear. Here you will see two noticeable differences, the power lead has been
replaced with a 2 pin figure 8 lead instead of the kettle lead, and it now has an on/off button
for rebooting the box without pulling out the plug or the power lead. This is essential for
HDD units as it will need resetting now and again to reboot the HDD. As i said the front is
the exact same until you pull down the flap and you will see the slot where you will install
your HDD. This is a simple process and you will need an IDE laptop hard drive, I have a seagate
120gb IDE one, and all you have to do is push it in.

There is no major difference to the day to day operation apart from you now have the record function,
and within the channel manager you now have a section called PVR manager where all your recordings
are stored, within this section you can watch delete or edit them. The recording process is also
very simple as your new remote (different to eurovox max v remote ) has a big red R button for one
step recording, and you can also if you wish set the timer within your epg to record your choice
of programming. You can also use the pause button to pause live tv then resume (time shift) which is
great. Another feature of this unit is when you are recording a program you can if you wish watch
another program by using the channel up or down buttons to change between channels but during
recording you will find that your fav's or channel list will not work and you will only be able to
watch another channel from the same transponder as the one that you are recording from. It is a simple
and effective PVR system but not a dual tuner system like certain others but the price will reflect this.

There has been 2 key changes here since i started trialing and it has updated very fast indeed, and the picture
quality has improved noticeably on channels with a higher bit rate, this is down to main board changes which
now offer better video bandwidth and bus width handling . I really like the simplicity of this PVR
and the fact its appearance hasn't changed into some big bulky heavy machine. I'm pretty sure the biggest
majority of Eurovox users will love this machine. The RRP will be around the same as current models, so pick
yourselves up a decent quality HDD and your in business. 120gb is highest hdd for this really

Back