European Windows 7 to ship with no browser

snapman

VIP Member
Staff member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Source: Personal Computer World - The Expert's Choice. For daily news, reviews and blogs you can trust

As reported by PCW's Tim Anderson on his blog, Microsoft has just announced that European versions of Windows 7 are likely to ship without a web browser pre-installed, and be designated as 'E' versions. This move is Microsoft's response to the EU's January ruling that bundling IE with Windows violated European competition law.

According to Microsoft, systems in Europe will ship with a separate but 'easy-to-install' option for anyone who wants to install IE themselves - presumably on a separate disc.

Of course, as Tim points out, core internet connectivity wouldn't be affected as it's deeply ingrained in the operating system for tasks such as automatic updates and error reporting.

I wonder if they are gonna do an "N" version like they did with XP, that comes without Windows Media Player.

Good riddance any way as IE is crap. Firefox is better, even though Chrome is faster than the latest Firefox.

Two thoughts:

How is this possible as I thought IE was built into the kernal?

Also, how are you supposed to download another browser without one to begin with lol.

I wonder if they are gonna do an "N" version like they did with XP, that comes without Windows Media Player.

Good riddance any way as IE is crap. Firefox is better, even though Chrome is faster than the latest Firefox.

Two thoughts:

How is this possible as I thought IE was built into the kernal?

Also, how are you supposed to download another browser without one to begin with lol.

both questions are answered in the post i made, on this subject, yesterday.
https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/210572/

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to agree that Firefox is a better browser... the jury's still out on Chrome for me though...

I use chrome, it's much better than firefox, at most things.

Still use firefox when doing web design though, it's much more suited for it. But for general day to day usage, none are better than chrome.

Back