Euro catastrophe for Celtic

RAB - P

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Neil Lennon's first competitive match as permanent Celtic boss proved to be a catastrophe as the Scottish side were demolished 3-0 by Braga in Portugal in their UEFA Champions League third qualifying round first leg.

Having been handed a full-time contract earlier in the summer after a temporary agreement following the sacking of Tony Mowbray last season, Lennon would have been desperate to get off to a successful start on his European managerial debut.

But that was not to be the case as Celtic were taken apart at AXA stadium to leave their hopes of progressing looking extremely thin ahead of next Wednesday's second leg in Glasgow.

A controversial first-half penalty from Alan - awarded after Ki Sung-Yeung was adjudged to have handled - a debut goal from Uwa Elderson Echiejile, and a stunning free-kick from substitute Matheus ensured the Hoops' miserable European away record continued.

And Celtic may have to turn the tie around next week without star winger Aiden McGeady, whose Parkhead career could be over after he was left out of the squad.

Celtic failed to muster a single shot on target in sweltering conditions, with their opponents comfortably holding sway.

Lennon had insisted he would field winger McGeady, who is rumoured to want to leave, unless he was ordered not to pick him by the club's hierarchy.

Instead, four players were handed their competitive debuts, with summer signings Joe Ledley, Charlie Mulgrew, Efrain Juarez and Cha Du-Ri all in the starting XI.

Braga, whose summer recruitment drive dwarfed that of their opponents following the loss of some key men, handed debuts to Rodrigo Lima, and Leandro Salino.

The hosts were playing the first Champions League game in their history having finished second in Portugal last season.

Mulgrew made a bad early impression in a Celtic jersey with a fourth minute yellow card for time-wasting at a throw-in.

That was after Ki had sent a free-kick over the crossbar, won by lone frontman Georgios Samaras.

The heat, despite Lennon's confidence, was stifling and both sides looked a yard off the pace.

Indeed, there was no real goalmouth action until the 17th minute, when a cross from Shaun Maloney - out since October due to injury - was acrobatically cleared by Moises.

Braga broke up the other end and Lukasz Zaluska spilled a Paulo Cesar shot he should have held before Andres Madrid blazed his follow-up over from 20 yards.

Then, in the 25th minute, the hosts were awarded a controversial penalty when Ki was adjudged to have handled Miguel Garcia's cross, earning a booking.

Alan fired the spot-kick into the roof of the net to put Braga ahead.

Salino could have immediately made it 2-0 but he scuffed his finish wide on the turn.

The already vocal home support was now bouncing, while the small band of travelling fans were left to contemplate yet another reminder of Celtic's miserable European away record.

Captain Scott Brown was flagged offside when attempting to volley Mulgrew's back-post cross but it was Braga who were getting closer to legally getting in behind their opponents.

Jos Hooiveld picked up a yellow card for clattering into Lima seconds after a talking to from referee Serge Gumienny.

The signs were not good at the start of the second half when Elderson got in behind Cha all too easily but his cross was too close to Zaluska.

The Celtic defence then dawdled as Cesar tried to force his way into the box, a gaggle of players doing just enough to stifle his finish.

Glenn Loovens became the latest Hoops defender booked after fouling Lima as the visitors' problems continued beyond the hour mark.

None of the new faces were making an impact as Celtic struggled to string more than a handful of passes together.

Lima was eventually taken out of the firing line, with Matheus coming on up front.

Moises had time to flash a header wide before Lennon responded by introducing new boy Daryl Murpy for Maloney.

Celtic soon won their first corner, which came to nothing but their search for an equaliser risked exposing them at the back.

But there was no legislating for the appalling defending that gifted Braga their second goal 15 minutes from time, Matheus' corner missed by a host of players before Elderson bundled the ball home.

Lennon threw on Forrest for the disappointing Juarez knowing an away goal would change the whole complexion of the tie.

Charlie Mulgrew sent a free-kick wide which Mario Felgueiras had covered before Matheus showed him how it should be done.

The substitute stepped up after a foul three minutes from time and blasted a shot which flew into the top corner.

Salino became the only Braga player booked in stoppage time and Alan was withdrawn for Helder Barbosa as the home fans celebrated.

lol.gif

Fook off the pair of yes.

:salute:

its cool witchy its a marathon not a sprint ... anyway once hmrc step in its only dundee united we need to worry about!

celtic done well to lose just 3-0 ..but the spl is going right down hill the past couple of years the only thing that will save the old firm is the english league

That's been on the cards for a while but only on the back burner. Question is could a teams and supporters afford to travel from Scotland to England and vice versa for a Saturday game. Would have to book a weekend away for some games to make it viable but would be an expensive weekend cos all prices would rise as per increase demand.

can you imagine Celtic and rangers fans stumping up to travel all over the place to see them play?

full house at home certainley but imagine having to travel to london most weeks?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

can you imagine Celtic and rangers fans stumping up to travel all over the place to see them play?

full house at home certainley but imagine having to travel to london most weeks?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

costs just as much paying the ransom to get out of motherwell.:proud:

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

to be honest celtic and rangers could probs fill most of there english away allocations with locals lol id imagine 2-3k easy in the big citys wether the local police would allow scotlands shame entry to the stadium is another thing :) smile Rab :)

I don't buy into this letting the Jocks join the English leagues. There are too many hurdles to overcome IMHO.

Would it be only Celtic and Rangers? If so, hardly fair and would/should cause uproar in your own leagues.

If it's all the sweaty teams, hows that gonna work? Answer= It wouldn't.

Assuming it's given the go ahead, whether for two or all teams, there is no way on earth they should be allowed to walk in to the Prem. They'd have to start in the Conf' at the very least, and work their way up the leagues, like every other English team has had to do. No way Gers/Tics would go for that, in case they ended up struggling in L1/Championship.

Nah, for me, it's just unworkable.

Exeter City will be in the Prem before Rangers/Celtic get to settle for a mid table spot in the EPL. ;)

its just the same mate as aberdeen..inverness.etc maybe a little bit further but they would get the crowd no problem

have to disagree there

it costs me maximum of £35 to get to away games at aberdeen

can you get me to london and back plus match ticket for that price?

the £35 is £15 on supporters bus and £20 for match ticket

no danger you'll get into chelsea, west ham, spurs etc for that price

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

have to disagree there

it costs me maximum of £35 to get to away games at aberdeen

can you get me to london and back plus match ticket for that price?

the £35 is £15 on supporters bus and £20 for match ticket

no danger you'll get into chelsea, west ham, spurs etc for that price

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

to be fair a season ticket at a lot of premier league clubs is cheaper than celtic! think man city is something like £420 compared to my £600 at celtic rangers seem cheaper though my mates is closer to the £420 mark but the extra allows us to invest in the likes of erm charlie mulgrew! lol

to be fair a season ticket at a lot of premier league clubs is cheaper than celtic! think man city is something like £420 compared to my £600 at celtic rangers seem cheaper though my mates is closer to the £420 mark but the extra allows us to invest in the likes of erm charlie mulgrew! lol

but i'm talking about a standard ticket for the away end if the ugly sisters were playing in london every other week

chelsea is about £40 innit?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

but i'm talking about a standard ticket for the away end if the ugly sisters were playing in london every other week

chelsea is about £40 innit?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

think its a good bit more expensive than that mate but (and i dont mean this in a bad way) id rather pay £80 to see celtic play man utd than £38 to see us play hearts ...

but can you afford that every second week? aswell as a season ticket?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

not but id easily do maybe 5 games a year and it would feel like a treat again instead of a pain in the arse... lol truth be told i actually rather celtic offfered an away only season ticket prefer away games to home...

accept that day at fir park!!! was in the motherwell end as well that day you were a right horrible lot!!!!! :)

but can you afford that every second week? aswell as a season ticket?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

It's a good point, and another reason why I think the integration will never happen.

BTW Gav, am I right in thinking Artur Krysiak used to play for your lot? If so, any good/what's he like?

aye he was on loan, only played 2 gmaes i think and looked quite comfortable

i seen him play for gretna and he looked a good keeper, shame he had nothing in front of him though!

@Colin

you were in the Home end on Skippy Sunday!?!?!?!

in the cooper stand i presume?

RRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Back