EU Commission: Piracy doesn't hurt music sales, may even help

Tamarc

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
EU Commission: Piracy doesn't hurt may even help.

Although music labels remain adamant about piracy's harm to sales, illegal filesharing sites may actually boost industry revenue according to a report from the European Commission's Institute for Prospective Technological Studies.
After studying the browsing habits of more than 16,000 European webgoers and approaching the data from various angles, the organization concluded that if outfits such as The Pirate Bay didn't exist, clicks on sites selling music legally would have actually been 2% lower overall and as high as 4% in France and the UK specifically.
The researchers also backed a common defense among those who support filesharing by noting that most of the subjects who downloaded illegal music wouldn't have opened their wallets in the absence of filesharing sites anyway.
In addition to finding a positive link between users visiting piracy sites and music stores, the researchers similarly discovered that free legal streaming services boost visits to music stores by 7% instead of purportedly cannibalizing sales.
Despite those findings, the authors of the 40-page paper (embedded below) recognized that private property rights are being violated, it's just that there is unlikely to be much harm to digital music revenue. Damage to physical music sales could be a different story, however.
"[The results] must be interpreted in the context of a still evolving music industry. It is in particular important to note that music consumption in physical format has until recently accounted for the lion’s share of total music revenues. If piracy leads to substantial sales displacement of music in physical format, then its effect on the overall music industry revenues may well still be negative," the researchers said.

It's worth noting that this isn't the first study to claim piracy aids sales. In 2011, former Google GIO and EMI executive Douglas Merrill said he profiled LimeWire users while working for the music label and found that they were some of the biggest spenders on iTunes. Meanwhile, a study by The American Assembly last year concluded that filesharers spend 30% more on music than non-P2P users. EU Commission: Piracy doesn't hurt music sales, may even help - TechSpot

And they needed a study to advise that...

I've been saying it for years. The likes of MS/Sony et al for example would never have sold as many consoles as they did unless they could have been hacked, the same for iPhones, iPads etc etc. Music sales are no different. If it wasn't available, i simply wouldn't be buying it.

And they needed a study to advise that...

I've been saying it for years. The likes of MS/Sony et al for example would never have sold as many consoles as they did unless they could have been hacked, the same for iPhones, iPads etc etc. Music sales are no different. If it wasn't available, i simply wouldn't be buying it.

Yippee, we're providing a public service. :Laugh:

Yippee, we're providing a public service. :Laugh:

Perhaps for different reasons than you think...

...the biggest complainers are the middlemen who have, hitherto, been the ones who have signed the artists, produced the media, managed the distribution and so forth. The musicians just want a fair return for their contribution. They can get that now by distributing online - the middlemen get chopped and don't like it. How sad...

Perhaps for different reasons than you think...

...the biggest complainers are the middlemen who have, hitherto, been the ones who have signed the artists, produced the media, managed the distribution and so forth. The musicians just want a fair return for their contribution. They can get that now by distributing online - the middlemen get chopped and don't like it. How sad...

My heart bleeds too. Must genetically, rapidly, ambulate.

When you get that (won't take you long), I surrender! :Biggrin2:

Although artists have said they find they have sold more concert tickets due to people downloading their music. when an album is about £10 and the tickets £20 it kind of balances out the loss for them

The people who download and don't buy would probably never buy anyway.
I haven't bought a record since 199? I have had a 2 cd bought for me I mostly download now we used to share cassettes and copy them also vinyl records would be recorded for use in car cassette players all of which the record companys say is illegal apparently they think you should buy copies on different media for personal use (yeah right because the prices are dead cheap not )

I haven't bought a record since 199? I have had a 2 cd bought for me I mostly download now we used to share cassettes and copy them also vinyl records would be recorded for use in car cassette players all of which the record companys say is illegal apparently they think you should buy copies on different media for personal use (yeah right because the prices are dead cheap not )

Think the last vinyl I bought was mid 70s, mainly very little music interest post 1980, with a few exceptions.
Probably "punk" was the last straw. Mainly what I call music stopped then, I find modern music tepid at best,
or just irritating noise, maybe an age thing. Due to lack of space, a lot replicated on cassette and cd, I made
a start on transfer to mp3. Not far in, I found it much easier just to download in mp3, and gave up.
I have difficulty parting with the vinyl, though I lack the means to play it, can't think of a logical reason for this.

There is ready, free, mp3 download access to my "era", with compact storage and equipment.
Purists will argue, but given the original content, it sounds the same to me. If I can get it free, I will, that's it.
Vinyl, 8 track, cassette, cd, dvd, what more do they expect ? Not original content each time is it ?

more or less me aswell only music died in the 70's mainly

more or less me aswell only music died in the 70's mainly

I'll settle for that. Mentioned the early 80's because punk was a convenient marker.
I caught the back end of a Jools Holland program with the Sex Pistols live recently.
No change, they're still bloody awful, and to me tone deaf. I can understand their lack of embarrassment
when young, but they are pitiful now, and still don't seem to see it. I refuse to believe it's just me !:)

Back