Ethernet Connections

like nobody saw this coming??? lol

i know i shouldnt laugh, but, its been seen SOOOOOO many times in the past

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/221185/#post1638259
https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/221185/#post1692480

id bet money on it, that the next 'big thing' is a patch for the new eagle HD to connect to a 'gift' server, the spider slowly dies out, nowt to do with the importer of course, as the gift was offered by the manufacturer, but everyone who is complaining about losing their 'service' on the spiderbox, will be told to buy a shiney new eagle HD receiver, as theyre the latest bestest thing available

untill march 2013 when the ride starts all over again

as a receiver WITHOUT the 'gift' the spiderbox is massivley overpriced, with the gift, it 'was' worth it

once again, ill point out, that I AM NOT slating the hardware in any way at all

I must take digidude to task (light heartedly) for this line "as a receiver WITHOUT the 'gift' the spiderbox is massivley overpriced, with the gift, it 'was' worth it".
The Spiderbox did include the 12 months "gift package" BUT far more importantly (to my mind) it allowed people with no knowledge of sharing to get "hands on" experience of just what can be done using a line. This to my mind was a valuable though invisible feature, and one that has encouraged many members to explore what they considered might be well beyond their abilities.
Ok it cost a few pounds more than a comparable receiver without a connection but the "gift" alone was well worth the extra and the knowledge gained through using a Spiderbox has allowed users to further expand into our fascinating hobby.
No offence intended to digidude but remember you have mastered the subject us poor mortals have to struggle through and the Spiderbox was and still is an excellent stepping stone.

Last edited by a moderator:
i se what youre saying m8, and i 101% agree with it, but i think we are looking at the same thing, but from different angles. right from the announcement of the spiderbox, i have not actually slated the hardware, or the 'gift' features, but, going against the current of what all of the 'supporters' have always said, ive always said 'it wont last', but, at the same time, i also said, that if it doen only last for the 12 months, itll still work out that you have paid the same as you would have for a server connection anyway, and youd still have a receiver at the end of it all

yes, it introduces people to the world of whats available via CS, but, it tells them nothing about it. if it wasnt for the invaluable help you have been posting in this section about how CS actually works via a spiderbox, itd be a forum full of posts saying 'all my channels have gone', and as someone else said, its a receiver for those who need to be spoonfed

i still stand by what i said, that if your old receivers gift has expired, for what it costs for a new receiver, its cheaper than a years CS subscription,

but a lot of what i post is based on the business ethics behind where the receivers originate from, i was a member, a vip member, a beta testing member, etc, i was also one of many members who lost out one 'deals' on more than one occasion, once bitten, twice shy, and all that, and i personally wouldnt trust any 'deal' as far as i could throw a caravan full of lead, as in my mind, no matter whats said or advertised, theres ALWAYS a sting in the tail

once again, ill point out, that this post is NOT slating the spiderbox hardware, nor the 12 months 'ethernet+' that comes with it :)

i se what youre saying m8, and i 101% agree with it, but i think we are looking at the same thing, but from different angles. right from the announcement of the spiderbox, i have not actually slated the hardware, or the 'gift' features, but, going against the current of what all of the 'supporters' have always said, ive always said 'it wont last', but, at the same time, i also said, that if it doen only last for the 12 months, itll still work out that you have paid the same as you would have for a server connection anyway, and youd still have a receiver at the end of it all

yes, it introduces people to the world of whats available via CS, but, it tells them nothing about it. if it wasnt for the invaluable help you have been posting in this section about how CS actually works via a spiderbox, itd be a forum full of posts saying 'all my channels have gone', and as someone else said, its a receiver for those who need to be spoonfed

i still stand by what i said, that if your old receivers gift has expired, for what it costs for a new receiver, its cheaper than a years CS subscription,

but a lot of what i post is based on the business ethics behind where the receivers originate from, i was a member, a vip member, a beta testing member, etc, i was also one of many members who lost out one 'deals' on more than one occasion, once bitten, twice shy, and all that, and i personally wouldnt trust any 'deal' as far as i could throw a caravan full of lead, as in my mind, no matter whats said or advertised, theres ALWAYS a sting in the tail

once again, ill point out, that this post is NOT slating the spiderbox hardware, nor the 12 months 'ethernet+' that comes with it :)

You know it's really difficult to both agree and disagree with you as I think we both have respect for our hobby and I bow to your superior knowledge of the subject, now lets try to clear the air.

Your point 1 is that you thought " it wont last', but, at the same time, i also said, that if it doen only last for the 12 months, itll still work out that you have paid the same as you would have for a server connection anyway, and youd still have a receiver at the end of it all"

Well it's still going strong (Ethernet I mean) but it was promised for 1 year and just this week receivers over the year have been disconnected well in reality that was to be expected, the fact we got more than a year was our good fortune. Had we been paying a sub to a server then would there have been this fuss when the server pulled the plug at the end of a year?
Now as to "and youd still have a receiver at the end of it all" 100% agreement AND it's also a very well made receiver to boot.

Point 2 I must say I find a little on the heavy side "yes, it introduces people to the world of whats available via CS, but, it tells them nothing about it. if it wasnt for the invaluable help you have been posting in this section about how CS actually works via a spiderbox, itd be a forum full of posts saying 'all my channels have gone', and as someone else said, its a receiver for those who need to be spoonfed"

Let me explain my point of view here, I drive a car and have done for about 40 years (not the same car) I have absolutely no interest in how it works my expertise in car engine ends at filling the screen washer bottle and occasionally putting some air in the tyres, thats it anything else some one will have to "spoon feed me".
Why should I have to learn about car mechanics? I have a son a motorbike nut that does all I need doing on my car. I in return do all he needs to keep him happy with satellite TV the accusation that someone needs spoon feeding is to say the least insulting to a great number of members that have no inclination towards electronics or programming and so on. It's no ones fault, some minds are good at some things and hopeless at others (me included) I dont mean this to be insulting but how many members would consider themselves competent at dentistry or surgery?
I do know from members I've helped here that some found the Spiderbox SO EASY to install a line that they have gone on to look at the whole C/S side of things and some of these have said that they thought the whole subject of C/S was beyond them and their experience with the Spiderbox gave then the incentive to go further into the subject.

Your point 3 we both agree on it was as cheap to get a Spiderbox for a year as it would have been to get a server for a year AND as you said you still have a receiver at the end of it.

One not so small point is we must remember that the Spiderbox receivers can be used as both a client and a server enabling members with a valid sub to share with their friends and relatives.
This is a very useful feature which as far as I know is not available on any other non Linux receivers, certainly no other receiver I know of is as simple to install/patch/setup/use as a server.

Now as for losing out on an offer from the importers that is something that a member needs to take up with them, I have dealt with that company for around 5 years and never lost out on anything. We all know in business things change on a weekly or even daily basis and some will gain others lose these things happen.

Sorry to rant on but the "spoon feed" thing really annoyed me, I prefer to say "some members need a little more help than others" and this is true of all of us in some way or other and in no way should anyone be insulted with "spoon feed" it's an unfair label.

Back