error: you're a noob, go away! (cable modem)

fluffey

Inactive User
Reaction score
while trying to mod my modem i got the error in the title...,

ok, not really but it feels like it, this is my first time modding a modem and i have lots of questions i can't find answers to, so please post an answer or a link where i can find the answer, thank you

i have a sb5101, successfully flashed with fercsa's infinite firmware,
i can http and telnet to the modem, and i'm on comcast (usa):

QUESTIONS:

1) why does the http info page give me a different mac than "arp -a 192.168.100.1" command, which one can cable company see, and how do i change the mac that is returned by arp -a command (i know how to change the one that's displayed on the info page, it's not a usb mac)?

2)i would like to use Ambit config to configure my modem but there is an option called "AREA" and all the sub-options start with UK or manual, which settings do i need to use for comcast usa ?

3) i can use a unregistered mac on comcast as long as i manually upload the config file and use a non-comcast dns server, is this right or wrong?

4)is there any way i can change the vendor_name so it doesn't return Infinite? what does original sb5101 firmware return as vendor_name?

5) is there a list of recommended settings i SHOULD change before getting online? to be more safe etc.
(i already know of max_dload_tries 0, docsDevSerialNumber, view_v1v2 Noaccess and telnet_ipstacks 2)

5.1) when i try to set view_v1v2 Noaccess i get:

"WARNING: This will be applied to all 2 registered instances!
Do you really want to do this? [no]

CM/SNMP>" problem is that it automatically sets No for the answer and doesn't change anything.
how can i change this?

6) can i scan for macs/configs with my modded modem which is not online yet or do i need to scan with a modem that is already online?

7) i'm sure comcast can see who is scanning for configs/macs so it's unwise to scan with the modem you have an account for. right or wrong?

8) i did not make a backup of the original firmware (i know, stupid me), i found a full dump of original sb5101 firmware, but is there any way i can restore the certificates that will work for BPI+ with my original mac and serial number or are they lost forever?

i think that's all for now, any help is appreciated, thanks again.

i have a sb5101, successfully flashed with fercsa's infinite firmware,
i can http and telnet to the modem, and i'm on comcast (usa):

QUESTIONS:

1)
why does the http info page give me a different mac than "arp -a 192.168.100.1" command, which one can cable company see, and how do i change the mac that is returned by arp -a command (i know how to change the one that's displayed on the info page, it's not a usb mac)?.
our system is completely different to urs but these r the changes u have to make ipstack mac addresses and usb addy with telnet in hyperterminal (replace 00:11:22:33:44:55) with ur mac address ur going to use...

cd \non-vol/halif
umac_address 1 00:11:22:33:44:55
write

cd \non-vol/halif
mac_address 2 00:11:22:33:44:56
write

cd \non-vol/halif
usb_mac_address 00:11:22:33:44:56
write

u might need to also smac ur nic

2)
i would like to use Ambit config to configure my modem but there is an option called "AREA" and all the sub-options start with UK or manual, which settings do i need to use for comcast usa ?.
u cant use the ambit tool !!! it wont work with sb modems... u need to use 250configurator to change the hfc mac addy, the freq. the tuner mode and the annex mode etc...

3)
i can use a unregistered mac on comcast as long as i manually upload the config file and use a non-comcast dns server, is this right or wrong?.
not too familiar comcast setup, but i think u will need a valid mac from another node and use the correct dns server to get online

4)
is there any way i can change the vendor_name so it doesn't return Infinite? what does original sb5101 firmware return as vendor_name?.
dont think u can but u can hide the s/w with this command

cd /
cd snmp
delete sysDescr
write

5) i
s there a list of recommended settings i SHOULD change before getting online? to be more safe etc.
(i already know of max_dload_tries 0, docsDevSerialNumber, view_v1v2 Noaccess and telnet_ipstacks 2).
u will also need to change telnet username and password

5.1) when i try to set view_v1v2 Noaccess i get:

"WARNING: This will be applied to all 2 registered instances!
Do you really want to do this? [no]

CM/SNMP>" problem is that it automatically sets No for the answer and doesn't change anything.
how can i change this?.
u need to type y ie:Do you really want to do this? [no]y then press enter

6) can i scan for macs/configs with my modded modem which is not online yet or do i need to scan with a modem that is already online?.
u will need to scan for mac in another node and u will need to be online or @ lease operational with the cmts
7) i'm sure comcast can see who is scanning for configs/macs so it's unwise to scan with the modem you have an account for. right or wrong?.
i dont think they can see u m8

8) i did not make a backup of the original firmware (i know, stupid me), i found a full dump of original sb5101 firmware, but is there any way i can restore the certificates that will work for BPI+ with my original mac and serial number or are they lost forever?.
u can but it involves using a shell f/w and a max232 serial interface

thank you very much for your response, i will review your answers and make a follow up post, i think i'll have a few more questions :Cheers:, i appreciate your help

Anyone has software to program on Motoral Cable Modem such as SB4200/5120/5121i?

QUESTIONS:

1)our system is completely different to urs but these r the changes u have to make ipstack mac addresses and usb addy with telnet in hyperterminal (replace 00:11:22:33:44:55) with ur mac address ur going to use...

cd \non-vol/halif
umac_address 1 00:11:22:33:44:55
write

cd \non-vol/halif
mac_address 2 00:11:22:33:44:56
write

cd \non-vol/halif
usb_mac_address 00:11:22:33:44:56
write

u might need to also smac ur nic

2)u cant use the ambit tool !!! it wont work with sb modems... u need to use 250configurator to change the hfc mac addy, the freq. the tuner mode and the annex mode etc...

3) not too familiar comcast setup, but i think u will need a valid mac from another node and use the correct dns server to get online

4)dont think u can but u can hide the s/w with this command

cd /
cd snmp
delete sysDescr
write

5) iu will also need to change telnet username and password

u need to type y ie:Do you really want to do this? [no]y then press enter

u will need to scan for mac in another node and u will need to be online or @ lease operational with the cmts
i dont think they can see u m8

u can but it involves using a shell f/w and a max232 serial interface

such a helpful member........and nicely and clearly displayed and answered..:Clap::Clap::Clap:

Back