Error 3 Cypress

mp101216

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi everyone
My 4001 box NTL was working fine for last few months then it started showing error 3. I swapped the cypress ic with one of the box that is stuck on 8888. The box with error 3 worked for few minutes and now it is back to error 3. can any of you please tell me 1) where can I buy this cypress chip and what is the part number? 2) the box worked only few minutes becuase i used the old ic or it is likely to have another fault aswell ?and 3) Are CY62126 AND CY62128 same? All the help will be greatly apreciated. Thanks in advance.
mp101216

mp101216 said:
Hi everyone
My 4001 box NTL was working fine for last few months then it started showing error 3. I swapped the cypress ic with one of the box that is stuck on 8888. The box with error 3 worked for few minutes and now it is back to error 3. can any of you please tell me 1) where can I buy this cypress chip and what is the part number? 2) the box worked only few minutes becuase i used the old ic or it is likely to have another fault aswell ?and 3) Are CY62126 AND CY62128 same? All the help will be greatly apreciated. Thanks in advance.
mp101216

cy62-126k/cy62-128k= both should work m8, "is your soldering ok ??". otherwise short out pins 16 and 32 then try again

Thanks a lot benny.
Soldering is no problem at work we have qualified repair operators who will gladly do that for me. I will let you know the result. Thanks again.
mp101216

take your pick, {anyone of these chips will do if you can buy them in singles}

M5M51008A/ uPD431000A-B/ CXK5T581000A/ KM68V1000B/ IS62LV1024L/ CY62128V

benny59 said:
take your pick, {anyone of these chips will do if you can buy them in singles}

M5M51008A/ uPD431000A-B/ CXK5T581000A/ KM68V1000B/ IS62LV1024L/ CY62128V

thanks for dat - very useful info!

Hi
Benny & Albob thank you both very much for the informatin.
Benny I shorted legs 16 & 32 as you suggested for about 5-10 secs then tried the box again but now it is not going past PACE istead of Error3.
Any more suggestions please? I measured the voltage across pin 16 & 32 and it is 2.55V ( box disconnected from supply) is it right? Sorry to be ignorant but is there any chance you can expain to me what does the s/c across the pin do Please?
Thans a lot once again
mp101216

mp101216 said:
Hi
Benny & Albob thank you both very much for the informatin.
Benny I shorted legs 16 & 32 as you suggested for about 5-10 secs then tried the box again but now it is not going past PACE istead of Error3.
Any more suggestions please? I measured the voltage across pin 16 & 32 and it is 2.55V ( box disconnected from supply) is it right? Sorry to be ignorant but is there any chance you can expain to me what does the s/c across the pin do Please?
Thans a lot once again
mp101216

voltage is ok , -5-10 secs is a bit excessive m8 {1 sec would have done the job}

heat the chip up fairly hot with a hairdrier, "see if it boots past pace"

Thank you very much both of you for the info. So I may have damaged the chip by s/ccting for longer period. I tried heating up but had no joy. Any chance for a cct diagram you can e-mail me if you have please? I will replace it when i get a new one. CHEERS
mp101216

Error 3 doesn't necessarily mean that there is a problem with that particular chip itself but that there was some kind of catastrophic error whilst attempting to communicate with the SRAM subsystem. Very often the problem is power supply related, support device related (ie chip selects are not working appropriately) or an actual circuit board failure.

I've found that the actual PCB's that these boxes use are pretty poor quality and the tracks are quite prone to split from the via's, especially if the board has been subjected to any heat stress or high humidity.

I did managed to buy the new chip from farnell. Even with new ic it is still stuck on PACE. It seems that when I shorted the legs 16 & 32 for 5-10 secs it must have damaged other components aswell. Does any of you have a cct diagram that shows this nvram and its associated components, if so Is there any chance for the copy PLEASE? Thanks
mp101216

Back