England beat by Northern Ireland

Northern Ireland 1-0 England

Northern Ireland put a dent in England's World Cup hopes as David Healy's goal gave them a stunning win.
Leeds striker Healy fired home Steve Davis' pass after 73 minutes to give Lawrie Sanchez's side their first victory against England since 1972.

It capped a nightmare England display, in which a petulant Wayne Rooney picked up a yellow card that rules him out of the next qualifier against Austria.

David Beckham came closest for England, hitting the bar with a free-kick.

England's game plan, with Rooney wide on the left and Beckham in a midfield holding role, failed miserably.

They will still qualify if they win their last two games, against Austria and Poland, who have already gone through with best runner-up place at least assured.

England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson's growing band of critics were provided with an almost limitless supply of ammunition by an abject performance.

It was Eriksson's first defeat in a qualifier, but sheer joy for Northern Ireland.

Eriksson, as expected, recalled Newcastle's new £17m striker Michael Owen, with Joe Cole dropping down to the bench.

It was 45 minutes of sheer frustration for England against a dogged Northern Ireland side - illustrated perfectly by the sight of Rooney losing his cool completely in the closing stages of the half.

He was deservedly booked, and could have been sent off, for raising his arm in a challenge on Keith Gillespie.

Rooney looked out of control as he reacted angrily to an attempt by captain Beckham to calm him down, and brushed aside Manchester United team-mate Rio Ferdinand as the teams left the field at the interval.

England had few moments of danger, coming closest to a goal after 27 minutes when Beckham's brilliant free-kick clipped the angle of post and bar.

And Owen had a half-chance on the stroke of half-time when Steven Gerrard raced into the area, and his former Liverpool team-mate's overhead kick was clutched by Maik Taylor.

Eriksson made a change early in the second half, sending on Cole for Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Chelsea's Frank Lampard had been quiet, but he forced a brilliant save from Taylor on the hour when he turned away a 25-yard effort.

England had a scare after 71minutes when Healy's cross deflected off Jamie Carragher and Paul Robinson had to dive bravely at the feet of James Quinn.

Northern Ireland had more than held their own after the break, and Windsor Park was in ecstasy after 73 minutes as Healy put them in front.

Healy collected Davis' neat pass and fired high across Robinson into the top corner.

Eriksson immediately attempted to salvage the situation, replacing the bitterly disappointing Steven Gerrard with Jermain Defoe.

Owen almost snatched a late leveller for England with a diving header, but Taylor came to the rescue.

And in the dying seconds, subsitute Warren Feeney almost added a second, only to shoot inches wide.

Northern Ireland: Taylor, Baird, Capaldi, Hughes, Craigan, Davis, Gillespie, Johnson, Healy, Quinn, Elliott. Subs: Ingham, Robinson, Jones, Feeney, Sproule, Duff, Brunt.

England: Robinson, Young, Ferdinand, Carragher, Ashley Cole, Lampard, Beckham, Gerrard, Wright-Phillips, Owen, Rooney. Subs: Upson, Kirkland, Neville, Hargreaves, Joe Cole, Bent, Defoe.

Referee: Massimo Busacca (Switzerland).

haha, overpaid superstars beat by a team of second division players.

england hav the players but nobody to manage them
sven hasn't a clue

he needs to get sacked, i cant believe they lost.

Hurray for Northern Ireland

As an N.Irishman living in Devon I thought I might be torn about who to support but as it turned out I wasn't.

I found the game hard to watch for a while because of those horrible flashing and moving advertising banners around the pitch.

I would be interested to know if they got the same commentators in N.Ireland as we did in England. If it was the same then I'm annoyed by how partisan the coverage was: this is the United Kingdom not just England - BBC not EBC!

its the managers job to pick the best team, to get them motivated and teach them how to win. i don;t rekon svens got what it takes. Get rid of him i say - he's had his chance good and proper and although he did alright to begin with things have deteriorated. don;t get me wrong the players are also to blame, but in the end its the manager whose responsibility it is to make them play well. you can excuse one bad performance from a player, but the whole chuffing team is ridiculous.

well that my two pence worth anyways.

seems to me and i suspect most would agree that the players ericson has picked are basically are the best 22 english players at the moment.
there may be the odd player that people disagree on but they are the squad he should pick.

having said that they look like most of them have never seen each other b4 let alone played and trained together, they looked like strangers..........

i never realy agreed with ericson as manager but lets face it if players of the calibre that where picked tonight cant play together even if they are playing in unfamilier rolls cant beat n ireland (that is no disrespect to ni) then there is realy no point in them turning up.

there was no real fight passion or will to win untill the last 10 mins when it was too late.

I think the manager should resign but then again why should he when he is on his money. You need an english man born and bred to manage an england team and not one that sits on the bench biting his nails and letting his assistant shout out to the players. Get rid I say

sorry forgot to say all credit to northern ireland for winning and all credit to their supporters and they have good reason to celebrate

why the feck is he (Sven) playing 4-5-1 we have played our best football at 4-4-2 ... I'd love to see an ENGLISH manager with some balls who would try a 3-4-3 formation with say Owen, Rooney and Defoe running riot

Well done Scotland ... looks like Walter Smith and Co are turning it round ... just goes to show having foriegn Managers don't work !! lets have an English manager with passion for the game for an English team who are lacking passion at the moment !

Why he picks owen hargreaves ill never know.....he is fookin useless :Angryfire I felt sorry for rooney having to play on the wing while lazy unfit owen spent 90 mins up front doing fook all

Well done to Scotland anyway :)

I didnt watch the math, wasnt interested.. as the team he played against wales was shyte.. looking at it i dont think sven should be sacked. he hasnt got the players, the fitness levels for the qualifiers is sickening, i dont even think beckham is worth what he is tbh aswell. rooney is okay but when sven switches everything around, it goes tits up.. players adapt to a formation .. not every game.. choose a formation and stick to it.. 442 is the best english formation.. stay with that.

Beckham didnt go wrong tonight. His passes were brilliant but you cant play players out of there positions.. Sorry but sven has to go

hamba said:
Hurray for Northern Ireland

As an N.Irishman living in Devon I thought I might be torn about who to support but as it turned out I wasn't.

I found the game hard to watch for a while because of those horrible flashing and moving advertising banners around the pitch.

I would be interested to know if they got the same commentators in N.Ireland as we did in England. If it was the same then I'm annoyed by how partisan the coverage was: this is the United Kingdom not just England - BBC not EBC!

ni commentators were the smooth voice of jackie fullerton and broad accent of alan mcdonald

well done NI you lot were just beat by a better team PMSL

BTW that fecker rooney is a cheekey fecker

i have to admit beckham and wright-phillips are looking great together some great balls over by becks and wright-phillips is very quick but apart from them few passes it was plain and simple S.H.I.T. time for sven to fook off and get in an english manager.

if shearer had the experience....

Back