England 3-1 Egypt

NL7

Inactive User
Reaction score
Peter Crouch maintained his prolific England goalscoring record as they came from behind to beat Egypt at Wembley.

The visitors rocked England when Mohamed Zidan cashed in on Matthew Upson's slip to give them the lead their early ambition merited - but Fabio Capello's side responded in style after the break to run out deserved winners.

Deposed England captain John Terry was barracked by a small minority of the Wembley crowd in the early stages, but the jeers were swiftly replaced by cheers and this victory against the highly regarded holders of the Africa Cup of Nations will have satisfied coach Capello.

And it was two of the Italian's substitutes, Crouch and Shaun Wright-Phillips, who made the major impact as they staked their claim for a place in England's squad for the World Cup in South Africa.

Crouch, on for Jermain Defoe after half-time, slid in Gareth Barry's pass to draw England level 11 minutes after the interval and Wright-Phillips scored on the rebound - with a large helping hand from Egypt keeper Essam El Hadari.

And Crouch continued his outstanding record at England level with his 20th goal in 37 games with 10 minutes left, although he appeared to be offside when he turned in another emphatic finish from an excellent Wright-Phillips delivery.

Emile Heskey appears to be Capello's preferred option as Wayne Rooney's strike partner - but once again Crouch delivered goals and made it increasingly difficult for his claims for a starting place to be ignored.

And in the wider context, Capello will now hope victory will enable his World Cup plans to get back on track in the wake of the recent upheaval of Terry's dismissal as captain amid allegations he had a relationship with the ex-girlfriend of former team-mate Wayne Bridge - and Bridge's subsequent withdrawal from international football.

England gave a debut to Leighton Baines and the Everton defender delivered a solid display, while Robert Green may well have now moved into pole position to take the goalkeeping berth as he got the nod ahead of David James.

Terry was given a mixed reception when his name was announced, and his first touch of the ball was also jeered but there was also plenty of support for the Chelsea defender around Wembley.

Frank Lampard wasted the opportunity to give England the start they wanted after only four minutes when he was played in by Theo Walcott, but saw his effort blocked by Egypt keeper El Hadari.

Egypt's lofty position of 17th the world rankings marked them out as a team not to be dismissed lightly. And so it proved as they showed real attacking thrust and ability in possession to threaten England.

Debutant Baines conceded an early corner, and it needed the intervention of the unlikely figure of Defoe on the line to clear Wael Gomaa's shot off the line.

As ever, England's greatest attacking hopes rested on Rooney, and he fashioned an early opening for strike partner Defoe, but the Tottenham striker hesitated as he tried to finish the move and the Egyptian defence recovered.

Egypt's promising opening was rewarded with a goal after 23 minutes - and it was a nightmare moment for Upson, who slipped on the edge of the area as he competed with Zidan, who pounced on the unexpected opportunity to steer a composed finish beyond Green.

Lampard was uncharacteristically wasteful again as England attempted to mount a swift response, failing to connect properly after a Baines corner had caused trouble in the Egypt penalty area.

And Defoe, hoping to make the most of a rare start alongside Rooney, escaped the clutches of the Egypt defence to break into the area but his shot was palmed away by El Hadari.

Capello made a double change at the break, sending on Crouch and Michael Carrick for Defoe and Lampard. And it was the giant striker who made the big impact with the equaliser after 56 minutes.

He crowned England's most fluent move of the night as Steven Gerrard found Barry, whose pass was swept home expertly by Crouch.

Rooney sparked into life and twice came close to giving England the lead. He fired off target before chasing down Barry's pass and lofted a finish over El Hadari but wide.

And the transformation was complete as Wright-Phillips put England ahead 15 minutes from time. Substitute James Milner, on for Gerrard, saw his shot palmed away by El Hadari, but Wright-Phillips responded with a swerving shot, which the keeper could only help into his net.

Crouch grabbed his second five minutes later when Wright-Phillips confirmed the good impression he made with an inviting cross that was again perfectly converted.

The Spurs forward appeared to be comfortably offside but he clinically took advantage of the linesman's misjudgement.

It was the final flourish on a night when Capello will hope all the focus switches back to football after recent off-the-field events.

BBC Sport - Football - England 3-1 Egypt

dreadful 1st half performance, some very poor individual performances, namely lampard & defoe both of whom deserved to be taken off imo... Walcott was also very poor, maybe lacking match practice. 2nd half got better, think carrick gave the midfield a better balance and SWP played really well. Still think lennon is our best option on the right...

shit peformance from them 1st half,bt much better 2nd!!!!!!

Commentators were bang right about Crouchy though, never really fancied and yet he's as prolific as anyone else especially in an England shirt - he's a dead cert for the WC him especially as a super sub. Walcott I'm not sure he'll go but I'd take him as pace is key. Same for Agbonlahor too. I wouldn't take Wes Brown or Upson but I would take Micah Richards if fit. And Joe Cole. As for Rio Ferdinand he'll be lucky if he gets to the WC that's why I'm so surprised he's been elected as captain, though on tonight's evidence the armband should have gone to Rooney lol. Oh and Milner's got to go to the World Cup. For sure. I never used to rate him even as a Leeds fan and when he played for us but in the last season or two he's come on leaps and bounds and he's a real player now since he's bulked up.

Last edited:
Commentators were bang right about Crouchy though, never really fancied and yet he's as prolific as anyone else especially in an England shirt - he's a dead cert for the WC him especially as a super sub. Walcott I'm not sure he'll go but I'd take him as pace is key. Same for Agbonlahor too. I wouldn't take Wes Brown or Upson but I would take Micah Richards if fit. And Joe Cole. As for Rio Ferdinand he'll be lucky if he gets to the WC that's why I'm so surprised he's been elected as captain, though on tonight's evidence the armband should have gone to Rooney lol. Oh and Milner's got to go to the World Cup. For sure. I never used to rate him even as a Leeds fan and when he played for us but in the last season or two he's come on leaps and bounds and he's a real player now since he's bulked up.

Crouchy definitely, Walcott? Not for me mate, sure alot of pace but absolutely no quality at the end of it.

Agbonlahor I would take for his pace and he does seem to get goals for his club so may find his form in the WC. As a manchester united fan have to agree, Wes Brown isnt international standard nor is Upson. But equally I dont think Micah Richards is either, makes similar errors to Carragher and hasnt grown in a footballing sense.

And Milner definitely has to go and painfully have to agree again. Rio is not back to his best yet and until he hasnt recovered from his back injury doubt he will be. That said Terry is nothing but a liability, has had an awful season in my opinion only gotten worse by the whole Bridge Fiasco.

Still on the fence with Joe Cole, hasnt played much but offers some flair which we miss. Think if England play as they can they will progress further especially under Fabio and am tipping Rooney to have a big say and no doubt the Spanish Giants will be keeping a keen eye on him.

Crouchy definitely, Walcott? Not for me mate, sure alot of pace but absolutely no quality at the end of it.

Agbonlahor I would take for his pace and he does seem to get goals for his club so may find his form in the WC. As a manchester united fan have to agree, Wes Brown isnt international standard nor is Upson. But equally I dont think Micah Richards is either, makes similar errors to Carragher and hasnt grown in a footballing sense.

And Milner definitely has to go and painfully have to agree again. Rio is not back to his best yet and until he hasnt recovered from his back injury doubt he will be. That said Terry is nothing but a liability, has had an awful season in my opinion only gotten worse by the whole Bridge Fiasco.

Still on the fence with Joe Cole, hasnt played much but offers some flair which we miss. Think if England play as they can they will progress further especially under Fabio and am tipping Rooney to have a big say and no doubt the Spanish Giants will be keeping a keen eye on him.

Wow a Man U fan not afraid to tell it like it is regarding his own team's players, am I reading right ? lol ;)

Got to say I agree with almost all of this. Except for the part about Walcott and Richards, and to that I'd say that pace in itself is uber helpful, though saying this SWP could conceivably be a better candidate than Walcott for the right wing super sub role. Richards however especially at center back could work really well as he has the pace to catch up with Torres and etc if sold like a kipper and we have pace at wing back positions if Ahole Cole and Glen Johnson are fit so a centerback with pace could be crucial for us....totally agreed on the Rooney thing, if he carries his current club form into the WC then he will be one of the players of the tournament. It's a big if though. If we are going to be successful though we need Lampard and Gerrard to do the same in an England shirt as they do for their clubs. If one of them doesn't then stick Milner in his place. He could surprise one or two in that position even though he's more of a winger.

Last edited:
Could always play Milner at right back cause IMHO he has to be in the starting 11, personally I wwould drop Lamps as him and Gerrard don't click at all, they are both world class yet cannot play together as they are so similar. My starting 11 would be:

Would be a 451/433 formation with Young and Lennon up top with Rooney

Green - cause of experience and played last few games, Hart on Bench
Milner - Versatile, Gives his all
Terry - Great Leadership and positioning
Rio - If fit, him and Terry is a great partnership
Cole/Barry - Depending on Cole being fit
Carrick/Barry - If Barry isn't Left back
Lennon - Blistering pace on the wing and starting deliver final ball
Gerrard - Great vision, just hope is fully fit and discovers club form
Carrick - If not playing in the defensive role
Young - Again his pace is blistering and can score
Rooney - Englands hopes rest on his shoulders