Electrics issue...Citroen Picasso...Help PLEASE!!!!

pootas

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have literally just bought a 2003 2.HDI Picasso today as the Mrs is recently pregnant and we needed a bigger car. Driving home from garage the first 100 miles were fine, infact I was really surprised at how comfortable the Pic was...then the problems started!!!

Driving along M4 and I can see headlight dimming, then brightening then dimming. Thought it was maybe my imagination but then had the following dash faults show up...

Battery Charge Fault
Brake Fault
Airbag Fault
ABS Fault

Then the radio turned off...then back on...Then the whole dash started to flicker. The car didn't drive any differently when all these errors appeared. Stopped the car and started it back up but they returned. Anyway managed to get home and what I did find is when braking for junction/roundabout they would disappear, but as soon as I started moving again and took foot of brake they returned!!!

So today I did some testing and found that the warning lights only came on at higher revs....All battery terminals are clean...Tested battery with engine off and getting 12.5v..

When engine is turned on the voltage stays at 12v for around 1 minute then interior lights/dash get brighter and voltage rises to 14.4v

If I rev engine the voltage spikes to upto 17v and this is when dash goes off and warning lights appear...

So what do you guys reckon? I'm presuming battery is fine but alternator is fooked as the voltage regulator isn't working correctly??? Any other opinions???

Haven't you got some kind of warranty from where you bought it?

if its spiking to 17v alternator is fooked

should of told me before u went to get it these french cars are known for their electrical faults m8

they have a electronic fuse box called a bsi and they are known to go faulty

even jump starting is a risky business !

i advise u to get a new or second hand alternator or get a place to refurb urs
do not drive it, only to garage or refurb place

if the bsi or ecu gets currupted because of voltage spikes the repair bills will b more than the car!

So today driving along and warning lights come on...turn engine off...won't turn back on...luckily RAC van behind me who help me start it again...drove directly to garage and they said alternator was fine however battery was looking dodgy.

New battery and all is good so far :)

Back