ebay .... Where do I stand?

Mark_The_Yid

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
In continuation to this thread

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/294972/

I have now received the Amp back and Paypal have already refunded the buyer. When I have opened the amp it is scratched up on the front and the screws show signs that the case has been opened. Surely under these conditions I cant be expected to refund?

Last edited by a moderator:
You could try speaking to Paypal but they often don't budge in situations like this. What is the amp worth as you could consider going down the small claims route? Its simple enough to online and not expensive.

I know it's hard to face and you must be fuming, I know I would be, but perhaps it's time to cut your losses, sell it for less and walk away.

A lesson well learnt. My returns policy will defo be different in future. I have closed my paypal account so they cannot get the money from me but I now have ebay chasing me though saying they will withdraw buying and selling privelidges if I do not add a method of reimbursement to my account. I also owe them £75 in selling fees which are now not paid due to closing the paypal account.

Do you think they will just close the account and forget it or get a debt recovery unit onto the outstanding amount? I have also moved home so they will struggle to find me :)

A lesson well learnt. My returns policy will defo be different in future. I have closed my paypal account so they cannot get the money from me but I now have ebay chasing me though saying they will withdraw buying and selling privelidges if I do not add a method of reimbursement to my account. I also owe them £75 in selling fees which are now not paid due to closing the paypal account.

Do you think they will just close the account and forget it or get a debt recovery unit onto the outstanding amount? I have also moved home so they will struggle to find me :)

Don't rely on prayer M8 - raise a complaint but refuse to give details of your location until you get a response...review based on response.

A word of advice - avoid 'buy it now' and don't do returns...
It doesn't make any difference if a buyer says its faulty. All they have to do is open a case and you will be forced to accept the return.

I would think long and hard about it if you want to use ebay or Paypal again!

They will pass your debt on to a company called Iqor who will try and chase you until the end of time!!

You will also receive a lifetime ban from ebay and Paypal. Make sure you don't let anyone else log in to their ebay accounts via any of the IP addresses you logged on to your account through or ebay will link the accounts and eventually ban the other persons account too.

yeah,good info, I know I would be, but perhaps it's time to cut your losses, sell it for less and walk away.

It doesn't make any difference if a buyer says its faulty. All they have to do is open a case and you will be forced to accept the return.

True but 'buy it now' dumps distance selling regulations on top and 'no returns' will get rid of many time-wasters...

True but 'buy it now' dumps distance selling regulations on top and 'no returns' will get rid of many time-wasters...
Distance Selling Regulations only apply to business sellers, not private sellers. The Sale Of Goods Act somewhat covers private sales but makes no difference whether an ebay listing is auction or BIN.

Distance Selling Regulations only apply to business sellers, not private sellers. The Sale Of Goods Act somewhat covers private sales but makes no difference whether an ebay listing is auction or BIN.

Try proving that in court M8...

Try proving that in court M8...
Er... that wouldn't be difficult seeing as it is the current legislation!! DSRs simply do not apply to private sales. Anybody trying to take a private seller to court stating DSRs is going to get a shock!

As I said, you have some redress through SOGA, but not DSRs when it comes to private sales.

Er... that wouldn't be difficult seeing as it is the current legislation!! DSRs simply do not apply to private sales. Anybody trying to take a private seller to court stating DSRs is going to get a shock!

As I said, you have some redress through SOGA, but not DSRs when it comes to private sales.

I refer you to my previous post...

...simply stating in court that you are a private seller is insufficient. While what you suggest is correct in law, it's the proof that counts...

I refer you to my previous post...

...simply stating in court that you are a private seller is insufficient. While what you suggest is correct in law, it's the proof that counts...
If someone is truly a private seller then why would it be difficult to prove? Can't see it being too hard at all. If someone is really selling as though they were a business but trying to hide it then they get all they deserve anyway!!

True but 'buy it now' dumps distance selling regulations on top

Not for private sellers. Businesses ( acting in a 'professional capacity' ) selling on ebay are liable to DSR, private sellers are not.

Last edited:
Back