Dvd/rw Problem

toonmadlad

Inactive User
Reaction score
HI EVERYONE, THE PROBLEM I HAVE IS MY PACKARD BELL LAPTOP K5285 WILL NOT RECOGNISE THE 2ND HAND DVD/RW DRIVE THAT I HAVE FITTED, THE DRIVE IS A Matshita UJ-820B, WHEN I PUT THE DRIVE IN, IT LIGHTS UP SO THE POWER IS THERE, BUT NOTHING FOUND IN DEVICE MANAGER, IVE TRIED LOOKING FOR THE DRIVER SOFTWARE FOR THIS DRIVE BUT NO LUCK SO FAR. PLEASE COULD ANYBODY HELP?

P.S: THE LAPTOP HAD A MATSHITA DVD/RW DRIVE WHEN I BOUGHT IT BUT NOT THE VERSION IM TRYING TO INSTALL, CAN'T REMEMBER THE NUMBER THOUGH.

THANKS!!

FORGOT TO ADD THAT THE OPERATING SYSTEM IS WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice Dazmeister, i have upgraded the system bios but its made no difference, still power to the drive but system not recognising.

I don't know what you guys mean by updating the BIOS, do you mean 1:actually flashing it to a newer version? or 2: just by simply making sure that the IDE channel the drive is set to Auto Detect rather than having to do it manually?

If you've tried the first, then try the second bit mate

Also try this, Ive done it a few times when a drive had disappeared, here's the link to it on the microsoft site Click Here

To manually delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry values, follow these steps:
1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
6. Quit Registry Editor.
NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

7. Restart your computer.

Last edited:
thanks for the replys, but not sure what you mean by shorting the pins, looked at the drive and can't see any pins.

Does it see the drive in the bios?
As shaun says, set it to auto detect, might just need a little nudge in the bios before you can see it.
If it can bee seen in bios then would suggest following dangercats advise about the o/s (registry).

Back