DVB-S Pci card

peacock_suit

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have a pc and a pci card. I would like to use it as a basic pvr. is there software which is a stand alone OS rather than a porgram which runs on windows or linux?

I would rather just switch it on and have a reays to use system rather than having to boot windows etc 1st.

Is there such a thing??

No, It would be rather tricky to support whichever random hardware might be in any given PC without an underlying OS.

Buy a solid state drive. Boot time will be around 20 seconds. :)

From what I understand, most PVR's are built using a linux core so if you know how to code and have all the information available you could do it yourself, there are also some linux builds out there that you can configure, but why bother, I use windows 7 as my main TV and I mean it is on constantly. It is sat under my LCD in my frontroom, no DVD player or sat receiver, not even an aerial in my TV, it goes to standby overnight, I havn't rebooted in over a week and don't see a need to unless the performance goes downhill!!

So... 20 second boot is irrelevant if you go to standby and if your system is stable then thats all you really need.

So... 20 second boot is irrelevant if you go to standby and if your system is stable then thats all you really need.
Yes, I was joking about the SSD, of course. A pointlessly expensive addition to an HTPC. Standby mode does an excellent job with most DVD apps, although certain MediaPortal/MDAPI/VPlug combos don't like it one bit. I used to use it quite a lot with timed DVBviewer recordings. It would bring the box out of standby, record the show, and then back to standby.

i have the same setup win 7 ultimate no sat or dvd or suround sound it all comes from my htpc with blu-ray recorder only prob i have is getting it to go to standby properlly as im using dvbviewer and dvb link

I use dvblink's TVSource now but I had no problem with standby using DVBViewer, have you got the latest drivers for your TV card?

i have the same setup win 7 ultimate no sat or dvd or suround sound it all comes from my htpc with blu-ray recorder only prob i have is getting it to go to standby properlly as im using dvbviewer and dvb link
Can you do it without those apps running? I had a standby problem on my PC that was caused by a stupid mouse driver.

Back