Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dutcho

Gary Jackson

Inactive User
Dutcho m8.......can you tell me again , what i need to get these two pc's linked together.....

I know you told me today, but i'v forgot.....lol......you know me.......memory like a seive........tee hee

Gazza has had too much :drink: .....again....lol

remember you saying i need a land card thingi me bob for one and sommic else for the other........hmmmm......and some cables of some sort.....lol

LAN (local Area Network) card (for every comp on the network unless built in allready)

RJ45 Wire

Hub (varies in slots depending how many comps u want on)

Connet the LAN cards to The Hub with the wire, set up the procol's and ur sorted

If it is just 2 PCs you will only need 2 network cards (100 Mb) and make sure it is a crossover cable you get. If you use a hub or switch you will use straight-through cables.

Thank you my good friends, but i think i will leave this to Dutcho...........way over my head.........lol..............i'm still a learner...tee hee

Gary:Dunce:

Gaz you need to PCI 10/100 Lan Cards and I length of RJ45 Cross-over Cable (however far away the machines are). Giz's a shout when you have those bits.

Dutco m8, i thought you said before that i needed a different lan for the compaq machine, as when you had a look at both machines one needed a different kind from the other?

Gary:Dunce:

also, what do you call that ribbon thingy that you pinched from the compaq machine, for the time machine to make the other HDD work.....hmmmm......does that make sense?????.....lol

going shopping the morra, to the computer store.......will all this cost me an arm and a leg???.........

Originally posted by Gary Jackson
will all this cost me an arm and a leg???.........

no it should cost you about £35 max including cross over cable :)

but also depending on the inside of your machines you will need other cards ie... if you have free pci slots in each machine you can use the same cards in both of them... but if you compaq is a bit older it might only support isa ... but it should still have a pci slot (most, even old pc's have at leat 1 pci slot .... but if its taken by the graphics card then you will need a isa card

these cards (NIC = network interface cards) are very cheap nowadays and i am sure you will get the lot for less than £35 ... of course depending on the cable run.

should also mention that each run (cable length) cannot exceed 100 meters (which im sure it wont ;))

hope this was some help but it should be fairly easy to obtain and setup, if you need help with setting up the connection to each machine we will be more than happy to help you m8

Originally posted by Gary Jackson
will all this cost me an arm and a leg???.........

no it should cost you about £35 max including cross over cable :)

but also depending on the inside of your machines you will need other cards ie... if you have free pci slots in each machine you can use the same cards in both of them... but if you compaq is a bit older it might only support isa ... but it should still have a pci slot (most, even old pc's have at leat 1 pci slot .... but if its taken by the graphics card then you will need a isa card

these cards (NIC = network interface cards) are very cheap nowadays and i am sure you will get the lot for less than £35 ... of course depending on the cable run.

should also mention that each run (cable length) cannot exceed 100 meters (which im sure it wont ;))

hope this was some help but it should be fairly easy to obtain and setup, if you need help with setting up the connection to each machine we will be more than happy to help you m8

Cheers Mickie,.......havent a clue what i'm looking at when the covers are off the machines....hence "slots" etc

I'll try and explain the situation to the guy in the local pc shop and ask if i can return one of them if it does not fit.

Gary

Jock, look inside the compaq and see what spare expansion slots you have, white ones are pci and black are isa. This should tell you what type of network card you need for the compaq.

Your other machine will be a pci network card. OK dude, giz a shout.

The ribbon we stole from the kids machine was an ide ribbon to connect the motherboard up with the cd drive, should only be a couple of quid for that.

See Ya.

Remember you need a cross-over cable.:Clap: :Clap:

also on that note the pci slots are white and are a bit smaller than the black or brown isa slots

have a look ===HERE=== you will see the 3 big black slots to the left are ISA and the and the 4 white slots are PCI :) this should give you a good idea of what you need and also has good text on the ISA slots and the PCI slots

P.S. by the wy if you hold the mouse over the right menu it will show you arrows pointing to the slots :) this shows you 100% what you are looking at :)

Ok,I think i have all the ingredients to get these two pc's hooked up, the list as follows;

X2 10/100Mbps PCI adapters

X1 10 meter RJ45 cable

X1 RJ45 crosswired plug to socket

lets see if it will work!!!;)

all totalled £31.00........bargin........went to another shop and they wanted £55.00.........told him he wanted to wear a mask like Dick Turpin...lol, but dont think he got the joke!!...tee hee

Dutcho m8, you said to give you a shout when i have all the bits, so if you arnt doing owt i have a few beers in the fridge;)

Gary

ps.....Thanks for your advice Mickie:Clap:

im a bit lagging aswell this is the first friday in for about 6 months (gospel) so im gonna talk shíte on here where i can get away with it :)

im very glad that you got it all sorted gary and for a better price than i said :)

all the rest is history :)

Jockey's Network

A BIG THANK YOU to Dutcho and Dianne for coming round to Jockey's house to sort out the network thingy on our machines, many beers were drank and a good night had by all:drink: :Cheers:

Again....I thank all on Digi-world for being there when I need them..........as my knowledge of pc's is limited, I hope , in the future, i can repay all that .......

many thanks,

respect,

Gary

Back