Dreamup will not connect to dm500s

firemanyoz

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all, I could use a little help. I'm just betting started with the help of bod's tutorial but seem to be stuck at the first hurdle. I can't get Dreamup to connect to either of the new 2 DM500s' I bought. I'm using a fairly old desktop with a null modem cable(the cable has been checked in a local computer shop and is definately a null modem that's working ok). I first tried 2 versions, 1.332 and 1.336, each time the same result. I open Dreamup, I have COM 1,2,3 to chose from. If I chose COM1 i get the message "connection aborted", if I use COM 2 or 3, after I click connect I get the message " connection prepared now switch on your dreambox", so I plug in the dm but nothing happens, no indication that there is a connection at all. None of the other buttons within dreamup are accessible. I then tried version 2.1, the log box which was empty when I used the other versions contained "dreamUp_DM500 V2.18a 20040711" (I thought that meant that the pc and dm were at least connected but I've found this message is displayed if I open dreamup without connecting the null modem cable to the pc) so I click connect and get the message "connection prepared now switch on your dreambox", so I plug in the dm but again nothing happens.
The dm's are clones but I don't think I'd be unlucky enough to get 2 new duds at once,they both get power when plugged in and I've connected both to a TV and they seem fine. As I said, I've had the cable checked so that's ok, I'm not using any adapters either. Maybe COM port settings? or a conflict within my pc? but I haven't a clue where to start. Any help would be much appreciated.

Well if they both fire up ok and you can get in to see the ip address then just use the telnet method from here:

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/181083/

Bear in mind you will need to connect to the boxs with an ethernet cable,normal straight one if thru router or a crossover cable if going direct

Last edited by a moderator:
Just connect the dreambox to your network and transfer the image you want via ftp, to the temp folder, then rename it to root.cramfs. then you can use update image in the settings menu.

thebigman

thanks guys but i've never used telnet before, what do i actually type in the run box to access the dm from my pc?

thanks guys but i've never used telnet before, what do i actually type in the run box to access the dm from my pc?

Ok providing telnet is enabled on your PC,
type cmd into the run box and hit enter,
when the command prompt box opens just type:

telnet 192.168.xxx.xxx

changing the x's to match your box's ip

you will then be asked for the user and password which should be root and dreambox :)

ok i tried that and got:
"telnet" is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.

ok i enabled telnet, but then got:
could not open connection to the host, on port 23 :connection failed.
Any ideas? Thanks.

Have you got the box connected properly?

Is it connecting straight to the pc or thru a router?

Post your ip settings for the pc and the dm500.

thebigman

ok, looks like ping was successful, it says packets sent 4, received 4, lost 0.
(average round trip time 1 milli-second)

Last edited:
Ok then at least its alive network wise lol,

if it wont let you telnet then do it the way bigman says earlier,
upload image to /tmp folder and rename it to root.cramfs,
them go into the box menu-setup-software update-manual and follow the instructions from there ;)

ok, i'll try that, ftp is new to me so it'll take me a while to get my head round it, thanks to both of you for your help.

ok, i'll try that, ftp is new to me so it'll take me a while to get my head round it, thanks to both of you for your help.

No bother m8,
You are better learning these things now anyway it will help you as you go along this route ;)

Filezilla is a good ftp program and its free :)

telnet now works for me, don't know why, anyway using the tutorial i've reached this point:

First of all, you need to have a mounted directory from your PC.
Make sure you have the DW.img file in your mounted directory on your PC.

could you tell me what a mounted directory is and how to put one on my pc? also the DW.img file? i was going to use the darkstar 2 image as advised by bod's tutorial, does it matter?

telnet now works for me, don't know why, anyway using the tutorial i've reached this point:

First of all, you need to have a mounted directory from your PC.
Make sure you have the DW.img file in your mounted directory on your PC.

could you tell me what a mounted directory is and how to put one on my pc? also the DW.img file? i was going to use the darkstar 2 image as advised by bod's tutorial, does it matter?

Ok if telnet now works then just follow the first part of the tutorial,

i.e. ftp the image to the /tmp folder,rename it to backup.img and then issue the command:

cd /tmp && eraseall /dev/mtd/3 && cp backup.img /dev/mtd/3 && reboot

its easier to use ftp to transfer the image rather then telnet m8.

Also pay no attention to the image just use the one you want

sorry to be a dunce, how do I find these? are they just the ip addresses for both?

Yes that's what I was looking for.

it's always easy when you already know how. Just wanted to confirm that both were in the same range. We'll get you up and running just stick with it. The image name isn't important as you will be renaming it to backup.img for telnet or root.cramfs if you ftp it across and flash directly on the box.

thebigman

Back