Dreamcast Emulation

MN2005

Inactive User
Reaction score
WOW I was amazed to find that the dreamcast only ran on a Hitachi SH-4 running at 200 Mhz processor. My Bro gave me his old DC along with some , as far as I`m concerned AMAZING games.. I have not looked at my XBOX since. It is not as if I am concentrating on the nostalgia factor, as I used to favour C64 games over my xbox. does anyone know of a dreamcast pocket P.C port.. surley me dell axim could handle this...

Am sorry but you wont be able to emulate the Dreamcast on the Pocket PC, i have a 3.2GHz P4 PC 2GB ram and 256MB Nvidia and it cannot emulate Dreamcast very well. Unfortunately there is very limited support for emulation of the Dreamcast on ANY other devices.

Kind Regards
Jamie Cruickshank

Cheers for the post Jamie. Have you ever owned or played a Dreamcast.?. I think these things are seriously underrated.

the dreamcast was my introduction to surfing the web

frikin amazing console, with some amazing games.

have you played the first shenmue?
my flabber was tottaly gasted when i played that game.

i wish it had trounced the ps2 in the console war

long live sega

i remember when i first played shenmue on the dreamcast, it blew me away too at the time, its still an awesome game even today i think.....right up there along with Goldeneye on N64............i also agree that the dreamcast was underrated as far as its games go there was some fantastic perhaps lesser known games available for it, jet set radio was another good one altho i always remember playing this multiplayer game for it (cant remember the name of it at all) but basically it was a party game where you could have a match at just about anything sports related - footy, golf, hockey, american football (if i remember correctly) and lots of others.

anyhow if you are looking for a dreamcast emulator for PC you need to download an emu called Chankast (again im sure most know of it but for the benefit of those that dont......) it can be downloaded here:

http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/dreamcast/

You will need to download a bios and flash file for it but its easy enough to find, google works....

there is a newer and supposedly better dreamcast emulator in the works called NullDC but wether or not it gets finished and released is another matter, one to keep tabs on though nontheless :)

ive kept all my dreamcast games years after my console broke in the hope ill play them again someday you cant beat quake arena with a few mates and beers awesome

Thank you very much thommohawk13 for the link. I will download and give it a go, will get back to you if it's still working. :)

chancast alpha 0.25 is newest and works been playing crazy taxi, only thing is trying to set up the joypad

Cheers for the post Jamie. Have you ever owned or played a Dreamcast.?. I think these things are seriously underrated.

I agree its a shame the console was not more of a sucess as I think that if games were still being developed for it commerically today it could easily be as good as the ps2 or xbox.
Still some great games can be got for it 2nd hand from ebay and usually for just a few quid.
Just bought Jimmy Whites cueball 2 snooker game for £3 (well it is the start of the snooker world championship this weekend)
I also love playing heavy metal geomatrix on the dreamcast with a of my mates before we head down the pub

dont forget, MSR, made by the same people as PGR, in my opinion its one of the most under-rated games of all time, its amazing. the dreamcast was capable of so much more than we got to see, i wudda loved to see the companies still developing for it. shenmue 2 was graphically fantastic, so was soul calibur 1

dreamcast games

hi,

I've just picked up an old dreamcast off fleabay. Do I just need a boot disk in order to play backups?

And any pointers on where to get games? I'm after some of the rarer japanese imports:

Ikaruga
Napple Tale
Frame Gride
Rainbow Cotton

Cheers

dreamcast backups come in 2 forms ones cdi but i cant remember the other but cdis are the best because you dont need a boot disc to play them you use discjuggler to burn them i think you should be able to find jap imorts on torrent sites

For those that don't know there is a new dreamcast emulator available, it is a first public release as far as i know but nontheless its called NullDC and it is available here:

http://forums.ngemu.com/nulldc-forum/87533-nulldc-v1-0-0-public-beta-1-a.html

Good emu, there really is only this and Chankast to choose from really as DC emulation has been very quiet the last few couple of years except for this release obviously.

are NullDC and chankast any good?

I remember using an old version of Chankast but it couldnt render the graphics very well.
I used it to play powerstone 2, gave up in the end.

Obviously the graphics issue you had was either to do with the emulator itself as pertains to the game you was trying to play, or your graphics card power/quality or lack thereof.....as far as Dreamcast emulation goes Chankast and NullDC are pretty much the only ones out there worth using, to answer your question yes they are both good in that sense but neither are without problems of their own, Chankast unfortunately is as good as dead and NullDC is a first release and so out of the two I would say try both and see which one suits you best but to tell you the truth, in this case at least, nothing beats the original system - something which cannot be said of the PSX or N64 emulators for one reason or another.

Back