Dreambox 500 and... DNS Problem.

mark1832

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi There,

I am sharing a card with a friend and my problem is that my isp does not offer a FIXED IP therefore i am on dynamic ip... We bought a dns domain and when i have a power cut i need to re-direct my own dns to the new ip.

Sometimes it takes 2 days and when i am lucky 10 hours before the ip is propagated throught the dns servers.

Apart from changing ISP and get a fixed ip i heard that i can walk into the dm500 and in the menu/ ALL IN ONE/ dynDNS i can setup my dns config.

How can i do that?

If i turn off the dm500 and turn on again after a day or a long time will i get my dns ip propagated immediately or will i have to wait again? If so how long?

Recently i am having too many powercuts and i cannot migrate to another ISP at the time being.

Please help

that all seems way to complicated so i'll explain how others do it so that its very simple.
First you shouldnt pay for dyndns as its completely free for private uses like this. Sign up for a totally free account somewhere like- www.dyndns.com which will mean you wont have to wait for dyndns updating (its basically instant updating).
Many modern routers allow you to simply enter your dyndns information, the server company http addy and your password, so check your router instructions or go into menu's and look for it. That way means that the instant your router has a new IP it updates the info on your dyndns server automatically.
> However, many prefer (or have to) use an "Update Client" which is a bit of software that runs on your pc. As soon as you access the net with your pc it sends any change of IP to the server and its automatically updated, almost instant.
Update client software here- http://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/

You may be able to set the dm500 up to do the same as the Update Client software by an available addon, but I dont know that so cant advise on it.

Regards.

thanks pinkhelmets.

My router efficient 5830 have not got the dyndns facility however my second router from sky got it!

Forget for a moment the option just mentioned if i open the 5 free host accounts with dyndns and j have a power cut in how long will i get the dreambox working?

why at the moment with my DNS service i got it take so long to update?
Will it be quicker with dynDNS account?

Thanks for your link anyway.

I think the DNS service you pay for is a wrong type of service that doesnt suit your needs. I dont really know 100% the reason why it would take so long but I guess its because it is used for website location so change has to be registered in full.
Using a dyndns address is more suited to your needs (and free), and that is a location service that 'agents' can provide, afaik.
So for instance, you register- mark1832.ath.cx and this becomes your name server, but this is registered and controlled by your agent (dyndns.com) which means all WWW traffic directs to them but is then re-flowed to you, wherever you have told them you are. Whereas your current 1 is registered on the WWW and traffic goes straight to you or your website server, which changes so the main WWW cant find you until it is updated.

TBH i am no expert on servers, the internet, dns, or available web services, its just how I understand it and trying to explain in simple terms. All I know is that its much quicker to update, although your first day registered may take slightly longer until everything is completed. On the website I pointed out I think they state that it may take 15 minutes before updating but I'm sure its been much less than that for me.

thanks pinkhelmets.
We were using a static dns thats explain why it took so long to update.
Following your link i managed to open this account ( they advert 5 but then they give u only one dns. why? ) and now i just need to wait for my friend to change the dline on his dm500. I will let u know

many many thanks!

All sorted thanks to thedynamic dyndns account and a router with a dyn facility when i turn the router off and on again the dns update in a matter of few minutes 5 to 10 minutes)..thanks pinkhelmets for the advice...much appreciate

Back