domestic & general cover

shotter

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Peeps,

Was introduced to the company domestic & general who provide cover for your household appliances.

I have been quoted £48.49 per month which will cover my tv, fridge & washing machine, because my appliances are new I will only be charged for the 1st year and will then receive 4 years free cover.

Want to know if any other members have used this company or does anyone know of a better deal going at the moment, also looking for cover on my boiler and drians, my neighbours have mentioned that the previous occupier had constant problems with blocked drains.

Why would you want to cover them if they were new and still under guarantee? Any accidental damage would be covered by your home insurance.

The price quoted also seems like a monumental rip-off.

i get what your saying but after the 1st year the following 4 years will be already paid for & covered

If you bank the cash then at the end of one year you'll have £600 near enough - be damned unlucky to cough all that in 5 years for repairs...

If you bank the cash then at the end of one year you'll have £600 near enough - be damned unlucky to cough all that in 5 years for repairs...

Precisely!

I can understand why you would want cover to yourself for drain problems, but you can usually get cover from your water supplier.

i think i might give it a miss then

got to deffo get some cover for the drains, will give severn trent water a ring

i think i might give it a miss then

got to deffo get some cover for the drains, will give severn trent water a ring

You shouldn't need that now, most water companies are changing their policies to cover drains from your premises. I got a letter off United Utilities a few months back now.

EDIT: :Hmm, just looked on their site and there is no mention of it and I'm 95% sure I had a letter stating they are taking responsibility for them

EDIT2: It's this:

New government legislation has changed the responsibility for the maintenance and repair of some sewer pipes which previously belonged to you (or your landlord).
Since October 1st 2011, you are responsible for the drainage pipe which serves your own property. Sewer pipes which are shared by more than one property, or run beyond your property boundary, are now our responsibility.

http://www.unitedutilities.com/documents/A_simple_guide_to_water_pipes_drains_and_sewers.pdf

Last edited:
I use dg and find them very good I'm covered for 3 kitchen appliance paying £13.99 per month and had to call them out as I had fault they fixed it with brand new parts think my cover is good as one of my appliance is worth over £800

Horses for courses I suppose. I've never bought into the domestic cover idea.(other than home insurance).

In the past 30 years I've paid for maybe three washing machine repairs, and a new heating element in a dishwasher. Anything else was either covered by home insurance or sorted by myself.

I shudder to think what I'd have paid over that time for some of these schemes.

The only one area of cover I would advocate is for your boiler, god knows how many times we have had BG out over the last twelve months (although one was due to a fault caused by an inept engineer)

I think you will find that the Sale Of Goods Act will cover you for at least 5 years for almost all electrical goods.

if only it was that simple. After 6 months you have got to prove it was a manufacturing defect which means getting an engineers report that failure was not due to wear and tear. And even then they can do a repair at their cost or more likely pay towards the cost of a replacement. But they don't even have to cover the full cost as they can deduct some for wear and tear depending on how long you have had the item. So potentially after 2 to 3 years they may only offer 50% or less of a replacement and that is after you have got a engineer report (at your own cost).

Your rights - Understanding the Sale of Goods Act - Sale of goods - Which? Consumer Rights

if only it was that simple. After 6 months you have got to prove it was a manufacturing defect which means getting an engineers report that failure was not due to wear and tear. And even then they can do a repair at their cost or more likely pay towards the cost of a replacement. But they don't even have to cover the full cost as they can deduct some for wear and tear depending on how long you have had the item. So potentially after 2 to 3 years they may only offer 50% or less of a replacement and that is after you have got a engineer report (at your own cost).

Your rights - Understanding the Sale of Goods Act - Sale of goods - Which? Consumer Rights

Had the same problem with a printer. Failed totally in 10 months and I thought it would be dead simple given the 12 month warranty. They sent it away to fix and had it 3 weeks, sent it back 3 times and it was still knackered. Then they offered me a refund equal to the remaining 2 months!

I was in no mood for legislation, quiet words in the manager's office etc. I just mentioned that if I didn't get a new printer PDQ I was gonna walk round the store holding the knackered piece of crap up in the air shouting 'don't buy shoite printers from these robbin gits'...

...my new printer is very nice thanks :)

Had the same problem with a printer. Failed totally in 10 months and I thought it would be dead simple given the 12 month warranty. They sent it away to fix and had it 3 weeks, sent it back 3 times and it was still knackered. Then they offered me a refund equal to the remaining 2 months!

I was in no mood for legislation, quiet words in the manager's office etc. I just mentioned that if I didn't get a new printer PDQ I was gonna walk round the store holding the knackered piece of crap up in the air shouting 'don't buy shoite printers from these robbin gits'...

...my new printer is very nice thanks :)

That is taking the piss a bit. I would have thought within the first 12 months that it would have been a straight replacement if they could not fix it.

I used to use costco for buying white goods, came with 5 years no quibble warranty as long as you stayed a member during that period.

Back