Mobile Phones do you want a phone or a status symbol?

raykoko1963

Inactive User
Reaction score
virtually any phone will perform the 2 main functions a person uses - calls and text
yes the rest of the "stuff" is handy very occasionally, but is it worth paying £300-400 to have the latest tech that is no better, but maybe milliseconds faster and larger, than phones from years back?

virtually any phone will perform the 2 main functions a person uses - calls and text
yes the rest of the "stuff" is handy very occasionally, but is it worth paying £300-400 to have the latest tech that is no better, but maybe milliseconds faster and larger, than phones from years back?

you have answered your own question...its horses for courses..what the device is wanted for..using it for calls and texts is not everyone's first priority when it comes to mobile handsets.
for me its all about connectivity,ease of use,screen size,speed of processor.calls etc are a by use.

They are more of a status symbol for most people (they probably have not a clue about the technical specs, processor speed etc) and for what they do on it, they don't really need all the power that's available. It's probably now at the point where it's as fast as it will ever need to be. They'll still make em faster though and try to delude people into thinking they need the extra speed/ power. It's like cars that go 200mph (you'd probably only ever do it once, if you could find a stretch of motorway long and straight enough and with no cameras) bit pointless really. And 0-60 in a few seconds (there again, unless your the getaway driver on a bank robbery, it's rather unnecessarily pointless)
People used to ask my advice on laptop specs, and i asked what they wanted it for? A bit of surfing/ googling/ facebook and you tube. I said "get the cheapest/ lowest spec and save yourself some wasted cash" They were going on about a terra byte hard drive and i said "what the hell are you going to put on it?lol" probably only ever use 20 gigs including the OS lol
It's like giving an old granny a Ferrari just to go down the local shop and back and never get higher than 3rd gear. lol :)
Same goes for super duper fast broadband. "the whole country needs it, everyone should have access to it"?? for what, may i ask? Streaming more HD bollox clips on youtube. haha

Much simpler decision for me. In my experience most 'phones break when I drop them off a ladder, stand on them (or some large animal stands on them), they get chewed by an animal or I drop something heavy on them. After that, any calls/texts/ease of use etc go for a sh*t lol

The main difference is an unlocked, crappy device from Tesco can be had for £25. Install SIM, job done.

All the good stuff sticks with the tablets!

i have had the same phone for nearly 8 years and have no intention on changing it until it breaks. it does what i want in calls and texts but i do like the satfinder app on the modern phones as it could come in very handy,regards mdt

Attachments

• d600.jpg
    d600.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 6
People seem to live their life by what phone they have and it contains everything that they need to live. It seems ridiculous that such a small devices controls us. I was quite happy with a Sony g502, it did everything, but then...... It had a few issues and needed to be sent away and my cousin loaned me an iphone 3gs which I couldn't stand. It had so much unnecessary stuff on it. Why would anyone needs an anti RSI finger app! But as I had it, I found apps that would make my life and job easier, and now, without it I would find my day harder, But Not Impossible! ITs kind of the same with wages. The more money you have, the more you will spend. The more processing power you have, the more will be used in an app. Look at the games consoles, the 360 is excellent with game play, AI, etc. But now we have the Xbox One, and the main improvement in the games are the graphics. Yeah, nice to look at but where does it stop. I'm amazed that by the 6th model of the iPhone that it doesn't include a bottle opener or a tooth pick, presumably I may have missed the 'app for that'

i have had the same phone for nearly 8 years and have no intention on changing it until it breaks. it does what i want in calls and texts but i do like the satfinder app on the modern phones as it could come in very handy,regards mdt

Funnily enough it was the Dishpointer app that prompted me to get an iPhone. And NOTHING else. (and again, only 'cos I picked it up cheap at a boot sale & managed to fix it!). I personally do not see the iPhone as a status symbol- actually I sometimes see it as a bit of a clit*ris... every cu*t's got one! Admittedly, I do use other app's on it from time to time, and I can see qualities in it that would appeal, but it's not the be all & end all and yes, I could live without it. It doesn't come out of my pocket every two minutes (or less) to check for emails, FB updates etc., and I keep it in a rather scabby cover to make it less conspicuous.

People seem to live their life by what phone they have and it contains everything that they need to live. It seems ridiculous that such a small devices controls us. I was quite happy with a Sony g502, it did everything, but then...... It had a few issues and needed to be sent away and my cousin loaned me an iphone 3gs which I couldn't stand. It had so much unnecessary stuff on it. Why would anyone needs an anti RSI finger app! But as I had it, I found apps that would make my life and job easier, and now, without it I would find my day harder, But Not Impossible! ITs kind of the same with wages. The more money you have, the more you will spend. The more processing power you have, the more will be used in an app. Look at the games consoles, the 360 is excellent with game play, AI, etc. But now we have the Xbox One, and the main improvement in the games are the graphics. Yeah, nice to look at but where does it stop. I'm amazed that by the 6th model of the iPhone that it doesn't include a bottle opener or a tooth pick, presumably I may have missed the 'app for that'

Did you miss this then?

swip.jpg

What annoys me most these days is the constant playing with the phone, or even just checking it. It has a vibrate or a ring tone, it will let you know if it has a message or call, you don't need to keep checking it. Oh, and also the playing games instead of conversation. I observed a couple at a restaurant last Friday, and as soon as they sat down, he made a call for 10 mins. they ordered, and he went to the toilet (I presume), and even before he'd got up, she had her phone out and continued to swipe it for 5 mins after he returned. This carried on for the entire time they were there, with little checks, or probably facebook updates like 'omg that chip was totes'. Its like phones are more security blankets for some status symbols. My cousin now has a 1020 as he'd never seen anyone with it before, 2 months later and he doesn't like it as someone else had one and dissed it. I have a 4s as it does what I want and is small enough for my pocket. I'd be quite happy with a Moto G if the iphone broke. For the people who have them a symbols and flash them round for people to see, they must want them to be stolen, hey look I have the latest gadget! but then moan about their life being contained and controlled in 5 inches of tech. Now don't get me wrong, I work in IT and love tech, but I don't let it control my life. rant over

Brilliant, I want one, but I cant find it on the app store! :) It's not an old fashioned tactile one is it, cos unless I can 'swipe' the blades out, its useless :)

I'm sure it could be done..... maybe on the iPhone 9.5?

i dont think it matters these days what phone you have 99% of them can get on internet take pictures and text but i do think that they are responsable of making people unsociable these days you can sit in the room and watch your kids and their partners texting each other rather than talking to each other it like we have lost the abilaty to comunicate with out a phone

i dont think it matters these days what phone you have 99% of them can get on internet take pictures and text but i do think that they are responsable of making people unsociable these days you can sit in the room and watch your kids and their partners texting each other rather than talking to each other it like we have lost the abilaty to comunicate with out a phone

Your 'phone can get on the Internet? Wow! Here's me sending silly emoji characters to Mrs M on the other end of the sofa...

:Laugh:

Yeah, but you have to remember that the internet shuts at 6pm and the ice cream van is empty if the music is playing :)

i suppose its ok for some people to have a latest techy phone that does everything, i mean a professional business person would need such a device. Then there are those who have it as a status symbol, at work i see lots of people with the very latest high end mobile phones who can barely read and write and yet they go around "hey look at me ive got the latest iphone 26c lol..." most average person would hardely use the majority of functions that these techy phones can do..a simple phone call and text will be ok for most..end of the day its your choice, personally i do use some of the functions of these phones . a simple call and text would not do it for me..but i suppose its kepping up with jones...lol

I have the LG G2.I think it is a great device and use it to its full potential..But at the end of the day its all about communication.
The way we communicate has radically changed over the years with the onslaught of the digital age so we need to move with the times.
We no longer have to wait days to send or receive the written word any more its almost instant with text messaging and email,There are now many ways we can communicate with each other,find out the latest news,see what your friends are up too using our mobile devices... I feel its not so much because its the IN thing at all more that the digital age enables us to know more and we want to know more and now with these devices we are able to do this as well as having a chat.

I buy Chinese clone phones cus their cheaper and work great

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Tapatalk

Back