Do You Look After Your Mental Health?

axelman0014

Inactive User
Reaction score
Physical activities (gym,biking, running) , drinking a lot of water right diet can improve physical health. What do you do to improve your mental health ? Keep your brain sharp? or protect against mental decline?

Very interesting question. I've no doubt there will be squillions being spent on 'research' with little to show for it but it will be interesting to hear peoples' own opinions.
Personally I think simply keeping the mind active is healthy.

Q&A: New evidence shows brain-training games don’t work | SmartPlanet

Personally I would say keep your brain as active as possible. My parents suffered big time after they retired. Even myself in my mid-40's I can already feel my memory is not what is was and my ability to multi-task and focus on a specific task is starting to slip.

I am looking at upgrading my technical qualifications in the next year or so and it already feels harder studying then it did 5 years ago.

Like most parts of life somethings suit one person but not another, I am of no doubt that brain training games work for some people but I am also certain they are a complete waste of time to others. Quite frankly I think things like this are more about improving memory, concentration and alertness.
Actual mental health really is at the mercy of nature, I have worked in numerous types of employment from management to manual labour to skilled labour to self employed and a few others in between, but I have always enjoyed reading and researching about anything that has taken my fancy or intrigued me, I have also always enjoyed planning and making things and even doing crosswords and jigsaw puzzles.
I had a mental breakdown despite this and I have since found that I struggle to do any of these things, but I still persevere and although it takes me much longer and that I have to read things in small bite size pieces I will not give up. So, I think it really is an individual thing and as for the onset of mental problems after retirement I feel a lot of that is caused by the fact that many of those retiring have never had hobbies or other activities that they do, they find themselves in a void where they have time but nothing to do with that time and can begin to vegetate or even just give up on life.
Therefore, my advice would be to have a hobby or an activity that you enjoy to keep your mind active and hope that life is good to you.

Back